Stop Hating on Victarion.

How many people know the Dothraki sea though? If someone mentioned a SEA to you, you would think boats. You didn't know what it was until you were told, why would a Westerosi and an Ironborn at that know the Dothraki sea is a grass plain?

It's the kind of thing a Westerosi peasant could be forgiven for not knowing, but in an educated nobleman whose calling involves travelling the world, it is hilariously ignorant. It's the kind of well-known fact that any non-idiot would easily pick up just bullshitting in sleazy bars on the waterfront.

Let's face it, Victarion makes Hot Pie look like an intellectual.

I'm new to these forums so I don't know if there is truly a hate on Victarion. But I couldn't see why. IMO, ADWD was hard to read (I'm French and I read it in english), with so many descriptions, so many people struggling to do what they want to and not attain their goal. The book in itself was a little boring, and if not boring well very frustrating, because the characters I like couldn't succeed what thay wanted to. Tyrion traveling to Dany but not making it, being captured ; Dany told to go back to Westeros, but not doing it... Jon being betrayed and stabbed... Quentyn's (although I don't like him) failing to control the dragons. We can say this book is about failure.

And then, from nowhere, we got a badass coming. Victarion. Yeah he's dumb, but I'd say he's strong, has charisma, his people love him, and he's determined and efficient. Euron and Moqorro are probably playing him, but I liked his POV. Humor, and badassness, that's exactly what this book lacked until he showed up.

To me, Victarion was refreshing's breeze in ADWD, among with Barristan's amazing POV and the Jon Connigton's return in Westeros.

Yes if nothing else Victarion's chapters are action packed and a great read, imo. He brings us some much needed naval action! That he isnt an accomplished schemer, like so many others, just makes him more interesting not less.

Yes if nothing else Victarion's chapters are action packed and a great read, imo. He brings us some much needed naval action! That he isnt an accomplished schemer, like so many others, just makes him more interesting not less.

Personally I just have Greyjoy fatigue. Asha's I enjoy, Theon's improved after he took WF, Aeron's are dull and personally I disliked Victarion's because they took page time away from characters I like more.

I initially detested Victarion, but he won me over when he started believing in two gods and sacrificed some women by burning them in a boat. He's... I find him hilariously evil. I hate him, but I can't help but laugh at him (which is funnier because I know he'd hate that).

Most of ADWD is plots within plots within plots. Every character is scheming, every character has plans. The Game is being played... and then we get Victarion. He is direct where every other character is subtle. He is a breath of fresh air, a way to spice up the book and change things up when things are getting far too heavy with intrigue. Victarion chapters serve as a way to keep the book somewhat fresh. A lot of dramatic works use this method - something heavy followed by something light. I don't think any author has quite done the 'amusing' part with such an evil brute, but Victarion is done humorously.

Likely Westeros will not share that view of her being "good".

I will lay odds Dany will be not viewed as "good" when she invades Westeros with a bunch of raping savages, ruthless sellswords, Ironborn Raiders, child-eating dragons, and eunachs.

If Dany is one of the "good guys" then I hate to see what she would be like if she turned 'bad" like Viserys.

*eyeroll* I don't care what Westeros will think. And it's not like she can't control her army. If she tells them to do something, they'll listen to her.

Personally I just have Greyjoy fatigue. Asha's I enjoy, Theon's improved after he took WF, Aeron's are dull and personally I disliked Victarion's because they took page time away from characters I like more.

:agree:

*eyeroll* I don't care what Westeros will think. And it's not like she can't control her army. If she tells them to do something, they'll listen to her.

:agree:

Yeah right. They will be "model citizens" and kind of chivalrous in Westeros. Not likely. Even the Stark soldiers have acted badly during the War of Five Kings.

Dany won't be able to control them better than any other leader, less so, since she is not an experienced soldier. Martin consistently shows war in its truly horrifying light, rape, pillage, plunder, and blood. Dany is just going to bring more misery to the small-folk.

Victarion is comic relief really, but he is just the typical warlord type that populates the world. Dany may be good (that is questionable), but ABSOLUTELY none of her followers are good, they are what they are, a bunch of raping, murdering, greedy savages. In fact her dragons are not good, they simply are dragons, and likely eat innocent people as well as the guilty.

Dany will be responsible for much pain, evils, and suffering before all is said and done. Martin always gives the shade of grey to his characters and it seems she will get hers with her statement on "Fire and Blood".

Didn't Victorian specifically sacrifice the 7 women prostitutes that he found the most attractive? Was this a subconcious attempt to add the 7 to his pantheon? Perhaps Vic is a deeper thinker than we realise. He is in with the 7 as well just in case as a back up. This guy can do no wrong.

He's an asshole who's done some bad things in his life, like killing his wife, burning the prostitutes, what have you, yet I do enjoy his stupidity. I mean, come on, the monkeys were throwing their own shit at him, plus the already mentioned "I will sail the Dothraki Sea to find her" "Dude it's fucking grass, man" conversation he had.

He's an asshole who's done some bad things in his life, like killing his wife, burning the prostitutes, what have you, yet I do enjoy his stupidity. I mean, come on, the monkeys were throwing their own shit at him, plus the already mentioned "I will sail the Dothraki Sea to find her" "Dude it's fucking grass, man" conversation he had.

Pure gold comedy. Agreed.

It's the kind of thing a Westerosi peasant could be forgiven for not knowing, but in an educated nobleman whose calling involves travelling the world, it is hilariously ignorant. It's the kind of well-known fact that any non-idiot would easily pick up just bullshitting in sleazy bars on the waterfront.

Let's face it, Victarion makes Hot Pie look like an intellectual.

Not really, for an Ironborn the guy's good. They frown on reading and I think it says a lot of mainland Lords can't read; why would they know about a sea? I read his chapter the other day, I think he doesn't fuck up that much. His decisions allow him to keep the priest without alienating his crew and he knows how to run them, he didn't get made an Admiral without knowing what he is doing.

Yeah right. They will be "model citizens" and kind of chivalrous in Westeros. Not likely. Even the Stark soldiers have acted badly during the War of Five Kings.

Dany won't be able to control them better than any other leader, less so, since she is not an experienced soldier. Martin consistently shows war in its truly horrifying light, rape, pillage, plunder, and blood. Dany is just going to bring more misery to the small-folk.

Victarion is comic relief really, but he is just the typical warlord type that populates the world. Dany may be good (that is questionable), but ABSOLUTELY none of her followers are good, they are what they are, a bunch of raping, murdering, greedy savages. In fact her dragons are not good, they simply are dragons, and likely eat innocent people as well as the guilty.

Dany will be responsible for much pain, evils, and suffering before all is said and done. Martin always gives the shade of grey to his characters and it seems she will get hers with her statement on "Fire and Blood".

...And that is why I don't like her as a character, reasonably well said.

He hasn't fucked up much ... apart from having an obvious spy for his brother in his bed. LOL.

I thought that myself hahaha! It's so clear, I mean he tries to be smart but he's not some manipulative littlefinger type, It's partly why I like the guy he's no nonsense and to the point, he isn't messing around with cloak and dagger.

I wouldn't say that NONE of her followers are good. And I don't see why they wouldn't listen to her. The dragons aren't good yeah. I'm hoping Dany will learn to control them before she gets to Westeros. :)

I keep wondering what was funny in Vicky's "ecumenical" sacrifice. For me it was just another "right, the shithead has no redeeming qualities" moment.

Sure, death in fiction

be
, but honestly I found nothing in Victarion's chapters to laugh at. He is not funny stupid, he's just stupid stupid.

Archived