anyone ever frustrated by Lyanna's character?

Kuther2000

So...I see we have lots of readers who actually think Agamenon sacked Troy only to get Hellen back... :cool4:

And yet, most people agree that Paris and Helen were irresponsible and reckless. And without them, Agamemnon would't have the necessary support to attack Troy.

And yet, most people agree that Paris and Helen were irresponsible and reckless. And without them, Agamemnon would't have the necessary support to attack Troy.

Actually most people'd tell you that the whole thing was just a way for the gods to pass the time and one-up each other.After all, would Paris have dared steal Helen if she had not been promised to him by Aphrodite? Or if Apollo was not on his side?

Actually most people'd tell you that the whole thing was just a way for the gods to pass the time and one-up each other.After all, would Paris have dared steal Helen if she had not been promised to him by Aphrodite? Or if Apollo was not on his side?

If she was promised, why would he have to ''steal her''? Was Apollo on his side? So, by that reasoning, Agamemnon's campaing agaisnt Troy wasn't his responsibility, but of the Gods then.

It's funny how Lyanna(pre-Rhaegar) is described as this determined woman that doesn't fit the conventinal role of a Westerosi highborn Lady(like Arya, Brienne or Asha), but after meeting him turns into a hopeless romantic that run's off to a romantic hideway and bears his children(like Sansa, Jeyne, Elinor or Alla). What happened to her willfullness?

If she was promised, why would he have to ''steal her''? Was Apollo on his side? So, by that reasoning, Agamemnon's campaing agaisnt Troy wasn't his responsibility, but of the Gods then.

It's funny how Lyanna(pre-Rhaegar) is described as this determined woman that doesn't fit the conventinal role of a Westerosi highborn Lady(like Arya, Brienne or Asha), but after meeting him turns into a hopeless romantic that run's off to a romantic hideway and bears his children(like Sansa, Jeyne, Elinor or Alla). What happened to her willfullness?

Uhh, that was her willfulness? She claimed her body as her own and chose to bear the child of the man she loves instead of the one her father picked--thus exercising her own agency.

Uhh, that was her willfulness? She claimed her body as her own and chose to bear the child of the man she loves instead of the one her father picked--thus exercising her own agency.

Yeah, what does willfullness have to do with the ability to not get swept off your feet like a fifteen year old? You seem to bet talking about wisdom.

She made one statement that might indicate that she had any wisdom and it was the kind of canned stuff that anyone could regurgitate after reading or hearing.

Also, it's not very traditional to run off and leave your betrothed, no matter what plays or stories you watch/listen to.

• 11 months later...

I see more of her niece Sansa in Lyanna than Arya.

Lyanna may have been willful and liled swords, but she lived and died a damsel in distress in a tragic song like the ones Sansa finds so romantic.

We don't know what songs Sansa listened to though.

Lets suppose that they were similar to our own fairy tales. Most of them require the princess/damsel character to be pro-active. For instance, Beauty and the Beast has Belle exchange her liberty for her father's, Cinderella actually has to overcome years of abuse and pluck up the courage to go to the ball, the little mermaid's entire story is about the title character's quest for a soul.

Sansa's songs taught her that the good shall endure. They taught her to believe that there is always good in the world and heroes are always present to protect the weak. Her journey was never about being a basic DiD, it was about realising that she herself can be such a hero.

She has never however languished in a tower waiting to be rescued: since she begged for her father's life the girl's jumped at every straw that might get her out of KL.

We know virtually nothing real about her besides a few things:

1. As she died she asked Ned to promise her something.

2. She was hot-tempered (pouring the juice over Benjen's head)

3. She did not in fact want Robert (never keep to one bed... love can't change nature...)

4. She rode horse well

5. She was beautiful.

Since we don't really know how her disappearance with Rhaegar went down, I can't be frustrated with her at all. I can only feel sorry for her that she died.

Lets suppose that they were similar to our own fairy tales. Most of them require the princess/damsel character to be pro-active. For instance, Beauty and the Beast has Belle exchange her liberty for her father's, Cinderella actually has to overcome years of abuse and pluck up the courage to go to the ball, the little mermaid's entire story is about the title character's quest for a soul.

Sansa's songs taught her that the good shall endure. They taught her to believe that there is always good in the world and heroes are always present to protect the weak. Her journey was never about being a basic DiD, it was about realising that she herself can be such a hero.

She has never however languished in a tower waiting to be rescued: since she begged for her father's life the girl's jumped at every straw that might get her out of KL.

Wow, you really over anaylzed that off hand comment.

I just mean Lyanna seemed more like a romantic by the time died, like her elder niece. I mean, what other impression am I supposed to draw about her personality when all I ever get is Ned going on and on about the iron underneath and one flashback to her as a kid. I never have gotten the impression really and still can't imagine her as anything more than a girl in a dress in a room full of blue roses at the top of the Tower of Joy. If that doesn't sound like a damsel in distress from some fairy tale...

I like her alot but I also like Rhaegar (i know alot of people dont).

I think that she was the KOTLT and whats not to love about that. The KOTLT story was one of my fav moments in the series. Im certain she ran away with Rhaegar through choice and am 99% sure she gave birth to me fav char.

It's funny how you classify women into one-dimensional stereotypes.

Since when is being strong, determined or unconventional incompatible with being romantic and wanting to be with someone you love? Especially in a society where arranged political marriages are the norm. Deciding to defy your father's wishes and be with someone of your own choosing takes major guts and flies in the face of convention. I don't see that as something Elinor or Alla were ever shown themselves interested in or capable of doing, from what we saw of them. And since when is it incompatible to have children and be a strong, determined and/or unconventional woman?

And Brienne, for instance, is a hopeless romantic, maybe even more so than Sansa. She believes in true knights and honor and heroism, and does her best to be one; she was hopelessly in love with Renly, her king she swore to serve, and she's clearly falling in love/fallen in love with Jaime and has dreams about him.

Would you say that Robb and Jon were strong, determined men who turned into hopeless romantics the moment they met Jeyne and Ygritte, respectively, and wanted to go to romantic hideouts and have babies with their beloved, and that they became similar to Elmar Frey who dreamed of marrying a princess? Or that Jaime was never a strong or determined man, since he was in love all his life and did so many things for that reason?

This.

"I must be brave, like a lady in a song." - Sansa

One thing about her character I do not like is her belief that she knows anything about men at age 14. Her comments about Robert made me go "seriously?" out loud while reading. I doubt i would care much for if she appeared more, her since she is constantly compared to Arya and while i pity Arya i don't like her character.

One thing about her character I do not like is her belief that she knows anything about men at age 14. Her comments about Robert made me go "seriously?" out loud while reading. I doubt i would care much for if she appeared more, her since she is constantly compared to Arya and while i pity Arya i don't like her character.

Her comment on Robert seems spot on.

Archived