Was Geoff a good fighter (with a sword) ?

Spotted Cat

He definitely wasn't a good warrior and I hate him as a character but I don't hold the Nymeria thing against him. I think I'd drop whatever I was carrying if a wolf was chewing on my arm too.

king bob put a knife through the boar's eye while it was disemboweling him. drunk like a skunk. now that is a fighter.

I got a hard time seeing Geoffrey putting in the long hours hours in the practice yard needed. It seems that in the asoiaf world people mature early so his skill st 13 should have been a good indicator of what he could do as a man.

Joffery was destroyed in the yard by Robb at Winterfell and then he is disarmed by a girl who had never had a second of training with the sword. Joffery was probably ok with a sword but nothing special, if he went against Jon with real swords he wouldn't last a minute most likely. I remember Jon chomping at the bit to get in there and mix it up with Joff when he was talking trash to Robb after Robb had beat him.

Edit: Thats right, it was the wolf that disarmed him. But Robb still beat him

If I remember correctly all Robb said was that he got better than he gave.

Which IMO sounds like it was kind of evenly matched with Robb maybe being slightly superior.

Plus Joff wanting real swords seems to imply he thought he had a chance, Joff is cowardly and I don't see him wanting to put his own self in harms way.

However, I tend to think of Joff as being bad at arms anyway.

If I remember correctly all Robb said was that he got better than he gave.

Which IMO sounds like it was kind of evenly matched with Robb maybe being slightly superior.

Plus Joff wanting real swords seems to imply he thought he had a chance, Joff is cowardly and I don't see him wanting to put his own self in harms way.

However, I tend to think of Joff as being bad at arms anyway.

I agree except that I think Joffrey knew that Ser Rodrik would never allow live steel so he just suggested it to shame Robb.

I would put Joff down as an averageto below average fighter. He would have had the best training which would have allowed his natural talent to show. He never would have been sufficiently challenged since every one would let him win. Robb obviously thought little of his ability. Arya and her wolf were able to easily disarm him. Renly openly mocked him.

The comparisons we see between Joff and Jaime clearly point to thier differences. Joff has Jaime's looks, but not his natural fighting talents.

When Tyrion gave him the book for his wedding gift, I thought GRRM made a point to show how inept at arms and a big talker Joffrey was by not being able to get through it with his Valyrian steel sword without hacking at it like a madman.

So, to sum it up, Joffrey's fights that we know of are: a lose against Robb, a lose against Arya and one win (with some difficulty) against a book?

Joffrey? never!

he could be Jaime's son, but he's nothing like his father

Oh he was just like his daddy.

“I am sorry for your loss as well, Joffrey,” the dwarf said.

“What loss?”

“Your royal father? A large fierce man with a black beard; you’ll recall him if you try. He was king before you.”

“I am sorry for your loss.”

“I had a new hand made, of gold.” He showed her.

“Very nice. Will they make you a gold father too?” Lady Genna’s voice was sharp. “Tywin was the loss I meant.”

“What loss?”

“Your royal father? A large fierce man with a black beard; you’ll recall him if you try. He was king before you.”

“Very nice. Will they make you a gold father too?” Lady Genna’s voice was sharp. “Tywin was the loss I meant.”

“What loss?”

I see, he only inherited his dads talent of being a jackass.

No, he wasn't. Robb beat him and Jon wanted to get in and fight him to. Jon would also have won.

He's had training but Joff was never in the position of a squire like others his age might be. Also, Sansa was aware of his (lack of) fighting skills and once told him she would like to see him in a duel with Robb.

What exactly was said about Robb and Joff's fight? I remember it going into detail about Bran and Tommen and Bran working him but only remember it saying that Robb was sweaty and wanted to go again.

I think Joff had to have been kinda good with a sword. Growing up it was said he wanted to be like his dad and Robert was known as a fierce warrior so Joff probably practiced to be like him and his "uncle" Jamie.

From what I remember, I'd say that Robb was most likely the better sword but Robb was also older, stronger and had Jon to train with every day. If Robb had destroyed him I doubt he would have gotten so pissed when Joff was calling him out about real swords and all that.

Archived