The Great Bolton Inconsistency

King.In.Yellow

[Roose Bolton] helped himself to a prune and ate it with small sharp bites. “Do try these, Ser Jaime. They are most sweet, and help move the bowels as well. Lord Vargo took them from an inn before he burnt it.”

“My bowels move fine, that goat’s no lord, and your prunes don’t interest me half so much as your intentions.”

Now, I've heard some theories that Roose Bolton might intend to become immortal, or undead, but as we know from the ADWD epilogue...

We do not even know if he’s alive. Meryn Trant claimed that Strong took neither food nor drink, and Boros Blount went so far as to say he had never seen the man use the privy. Why should he? Dead men do not shit.

So, if Roose Bolton is (or intends to become) undead, why is he so concerned with his bowel movements?

And with this post, I put the 'Roose Bolton is trying to become undead' theory to rest.

There was a 'Roose Bolton is trying to become undead' theory?

:bang:

Not quite "he's trying to become undead", but there's a lot of theories regarding his apparent "unchanging youth" and his similarities with vampire-esque traits, all combined with his total disinterest in his lack of a heir. (aside from Ramsay, whom he openly dislikes - unless of course that is all a farce to make people fear Ramsay)

Roose / Ramsay are quickly becoming my favorite characters to discuss, honestly. So much to speculate on.

He said himself that he's to old to see any new sons to manhood, but that just might be what he has in mind.

His age is not clearly revealed, but since he goes hunting, leads men into battle and is not even gray haired he can't be much older than 55, I'd say 65 at the very most.

With his careful living he should be able to hang in another 15 years, which should be enough to pass on the lordship to his new sons by Walda. He just has to take care of Ramsay first. The legitimizing might just be a way to avoid suspicion that he was involved in his unlikable son's death.

All of these odd habits, the prunes, the leeching, are all Roose attempting to prolong his natural life for as long as possible. I don't think its comparing him to a vampire or making him 'undead' but just to make him seem more a creepier villain.

Besides, if he wasn't going to eat and 'move his bowels', why would that make him un-dead. It would just kill him. Robert Strong isn't a stable example, since we don't have any idea what Qyburn might have done to him to get him that way.

Now, I've heard some theories that Roose Bolton might intend to become immortal, or undead, but as we know from the ADWD epilogue...

So, if Roose Bolton is (or intends to become) undead, why is he so concerned with his bowel movements?

And with this post, I put the 'Roose Bolton is trying to become undead' theory to rest.

... You just took a qoute about Roose and another about Robert Strong.... The second qoute even mentione's Strong by name, and the people talking about him are Kingsguard members Meryn Trant and Boros Blount... Too people who don't even know Bolton...

He says that when he offers the prune to Jaime - and that one certainly shits. And Aria saw him burning some book after he dismissed her and said that he should no be disturbed. He is into some weirdo undead stuff for sure. It is known.

This doesn't prove anything... Gregor is already undead so of course he doesn't shit anymore. But what do you think Qyburn was doing to him in that dungeon with all the screaming? .... He was helping Gregor have a serious bowel movement obviously.

Roose is just staying ahead of the curve by keeping his pipes clean on the road to his immortal undeadness.

BAM. Theory proven.

The Theory isn't that Roose is undead, it's that he wants to be immortal. The prune and leeches establish he cares for his health and wants to prolong his natural life. He has a maester (Qwyburn looking into magical/surgical ways of doing this). He finds a book in Harenhall about this sort of thing. GRRM has already shown Roose would be interested in this and it explains why he seems to give no shit about his heir.

I'm not saying I believe the theory, I think it's more likely he's like Roth in Godfather II. He has no special undeadness but through his psudo-health science he thinks he's going to outlive his rivals and is therefore not immediately concerned about heirs and is playing Ramsey similar to how Roth tried to play Michael.

Archived