Why Stannis wouldn't be a good king

Nope, I disagree stannis would make a great king. Why would the lords take issue with him enforcing the law? It probably wouldn't affect them since most of them don't commit any crimes.

So, what do you think?

Disagree. Stannis isn't an idiot, he does bend when he has to. He forgave the Stormlords and some Reach lords for supporting Renly, some Northern lords for supporting Robb, yadda yadda. As king, he can lawfully decide when the rules need to change and when they need to be enforced.

Anyway, what's wrong with upholding the law? Ned is a lawful character, and he didn't piss off the North entirely, quite the opposite.

I for one do not think that the reason you are providing is enough proof that he wouldn't make a good King because Stannis's just nature can be both a setback or an asset depending on the circumstances. For example, if keeping the established order of things in King's Landing is what is wanted then Stannis's justice wouldn't be the very next thing as, like you say, is an obstacle for those interested in keeping things as they are. However if there is a consent that change is necessary for Westeros to move forward and that the existing order has to be disrupted for the good of the people then Stannis's just nature might be what is necessary to introduce and enforce changes.

Also, I don't think determining a ruler's capability isn't just a matter of listening whatever faults they might have because nobody is perfect. Part of the process is about taking the good with the bad and good and see which one out-weights the other. Also, to take into account what kind of setting will these person be ruling in. Some people are better peace time rulers than they are for wartime.

Nope, I disagree stannis would make a great king. Why would the lords take issue with him enforcing the law? It probably wouldn't affect them since most of them don't commit any crimes.

None of them comit any crimes LOL jokes, Also I have no reason to beleive that his religiouse intolerance will cause the slightest concern in Westeros, especialy seen as the faith are so pacive.

Stannis just needs to surround himself with good ministers who give him pragmatic advice in order to balance out his stern nature. For example when he wants to do something extreme like say abolishing prostitution, he needs somebody to tell him the pros and cons of such a move. So far he has seemed willing if reluctant to listen to such advice. He's already starting to do this with Davos, Jon Snow and others.

None of them comit any crimes LOL jokes,

The only lord I can think of that breaks the law would be cersei. Other then that I can't think of anything. As for his religious intolerance that's a better critisism but that's changing fast and he is not really a staunch believer in religion.

The only lord I can think of that breaks the law would be cersei. Other then that I can't think of anything. As for his religious intolerance that's a better critisism but that's changing fast and he is not really a staunch believer in religion.

Gregors rape (and others)

Tywins invasion of the Riverlands

Jaime - attacking Ned and throwing Bran out of a window

Lyn Corbray - pretty sure he terorises his small folk

Walder Frey - braking guest rights

Boltons - Flaying

Jorha mormont - slave trading

Tyrells - conspiring to murder Jofery

the list goes on......

inside he may not beleive but politacly and publicaly he does and this has caused some problems already, why do you say he is getting better?

He refuses to burn anyone on the march through the North and he tolerates the Seven worshipping King's Men and the Old God worshipping Northmen in his army. The days of him burning weirwoods just 'cause are gone.

Because he doesn't have a sense of humor, hahahahaha

just kidding

He can be fair, but I don't know how it could be with this R'hllor faith

people won't accept so easy

Stannis's R'hllorism is skin deep. He just goes along with Melisandre to keep her support. And he may lose that if Mel starts thinking that Jon, not Stannis, is Azor Ahai Reborn. At his core he isn't at all religious.

Gregors rape (and others)

Tywins invasion of the Riverlands

Jaime - attacking Ned and throwing Bran out of a window

Lyn Corbray - pretty sure he terorises his small folk

Walder Frey - braking guest rights

Boltons - Flaying

Jorha mormont - slave trading

Tyrells - conspiring to murder Jofery

the list goes on......

Yet somehow none of them would be missed much.....

Archived