Comics V: Fox Force Five

Nephrite

Dare I say that Millar wasn't hated for Civil War?

He kind of did. Can't remember the exact sequence of events. It was that and Ultimates 2. But, while this thing sold and those ass-kissers on Millarworld loved it, most of humanity saw the inherent stupidity of the book. Mighty Good King made his name on it.

The book sold like crazy, so Millar's response was 300.000 can't be wrong. Or 400.000 He added 50k with each subsequent interview.

The difference between Millar and those other guys was that them up to that point didn't have huge stinkers on their résumé.

Waid wrote only Flash and some minor LSH stuff (and Kingdom Come, okay). Morrison's only "miss-step" was New X-Men. Johns didn't really write any flagship title up to that point and at the time GL: Rebirth was only the herald of shit to come. It's weird, but his only major work at the time was JSA, FLash and Teen Titans.

Bendis had his street-level stuff and creator-owned books.

They were 90% beloved & critically acclaimed while Millar built his career on nepotism courtesy of Morrison & Ellis.

And that check that Waid sent him while he was starving. Damn you, Waid.

I'm waiting for an event where the event is that no-one dies and things carry on as normal. Maybe that's the unguessable end to age of ultron?

How weird is it that Marvel might have two events at the same time? If Ultron's schedule slips a little, it might overlap.

How weird is it that Marvel might have two events at the same time? If Ultron's schedule slips a little, it might overlap.

Didn't that happen before, quite recently? Maybe not two of that same scale, but didn't House of M and that whole Messiah Complex thing overlap with Civil War and Secret Invasion (with World War Hulk somewhere in there too)?

Seriously, whatever Marvel may be doing right, they really seriously need to chillax on the event thing. It's one of the main things keeping me from getting into the universe more. It seems to have almost been one long run-on crossover since Civil War.

Superman kills the Joker eh? Where's that from?

Yeah I have to admit it's a little weird that we're not even done with the first arcs of many Marvel Now! books and we're running into two events. AoU is almost certainly a time travel fixer upper and hopefully Hickman's Infinity only absorbs a few titles.

I do give Hickman credit though - with Avengers coming out twice a week, we'll actually be around issue 16 when his project comes up.

As upthread - it's the events that scare me off from Marvel. I still can't fgure out how within 4 months of a major rebrand they are going to plunge into two consecutive events. DC has yet to do a line-wide crossover and still waited 6 months before doing a batman one. I guess marvel has the excuse of "we've published 10 issues in 4 months".

Marvel just see the sales spike of an event and seem to rabidly want market share as if by having that you are successul. they don't seem to care that all their titles plummet at a rate far less stable than DC until they electro-shock it for another boost. Maybe I'm missing something Marvel isn't and the events are actually a great idea. I'd like to see some figures to see how they stack up.

Superman kills the Joker eh? Where's that from?

It's the prequel comic for that Mortal Kombat-y game with DC characters. Basically, Joker steals a submarine and kidnaps Lois (who is pregnant). Superman goes for the rescue cause Joker is operating on Lois, but Doomsday comes and Superman takes him to space. Turns out that the sub was rigged with a mix of Scarecrow's gas and kyrptonite. And Doomsday was actually Lois. So she's dead. And so is the baby.

Than Joker drops a nuclear bomb on Metropolis killing... everyone.

The JLA look at the mushroom like idiots. I'm sure Flash could've done something.

Superman comes back from space and after jobbing Hal Jordan breaks into prison and helps Joker with the whole being alive thing.

Now, I can't wait for the mental acrobatics the writer is going to have to do to make this thing Superman did as a bad thing. My money is on: "If you kill them, you are just like one of them!"

Cause if there is one rule that DC follows it's this:

BATMAN IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

Even if it means shitting on everybody else.

The plot of the videogame is that Superman goes full-blown fascist and good old Batman is the only one who can stop him. Like I said, DC is not afraid to shit on Superman just to make their precious Bat-God look good.

And, like I said there's gonna be acrobatics cause I'm not sure how you go from the most sensible thing of killing a guy that dropped a nuke on a city to King Superman. Surely Joker was gonna get killed. Somebody was gonna put a bullet in him. unless Batman went full retard and tried to save him.

Again.

Fucking NetherRealm. And fuck DC for greenlighting this story 6 months before a Superman movie comes out.

who would win in an "always right competition"? The current Captain America or Batman. The universe could implode if they disagreed on something.If Bendis were to write a Batman/Captain America crossover it could single-handedly change all american comics - including oni press,dark horse, avatar etc. Maybe even the fabric of reality itself.

Batman crying over Joker being killed is pretty funny. The storyline sounds like something two kids would come up playing in the schoolyard with their favourite toys.

Actually, Cap was apparently wrong in Civil War....though reality did manage to twist itself so Tony Stark could be proven wrong yet come out a hero.

No wonder young mutants would rather be Avengers than X-men.

More later but New Avengers is what hero vs hero conflict should be. It's okay to admit that morality isn't easy, and sometimes no good answer exists.

That was an amazing issue. Great dialogue. And Cap is kind of right. And wrong. Namor is great.

Beats saying he would do anything to survive is major bullshit. Is that what got your fur in a bunch, asshat?

Beast saying he would do anything to survive is major bullshit. Is that what got your fur in a bunch, asshat?

Admittedly, this seems more in character for Beast than what we have elsewhere. Dating Brand, working with Dark Beast to undo Wanda's bullshit - this is the real Beast.

Admittedly, this seems more in character for Beast than what we have elsewhere. Dating Brand, working with Dark Beast to undo Wanda's bullshit - this is the real Beast.

The real Beast is gone. Bitch Beast is the real Beast now. Accept him as your furry savior.

Anyway, Green Arrow is suddenly really, really good.

And in the other Avengers book Dan Dare shows up. Subtly. Brits might like that.

Mark Millar, ladies and gentlemen.

The comments section on the other hand has Millar's quote from last years where he is saying how great it's gonna be. Maybe they can get him to play Two-Face in the next Batman.

Well if WB paid him to be their creative consultant we'd be hearing about how amazing it's going to be because DC has the most iconic heroes ever. No doubt he'll be telling us soon why the x-men and FF are the greatest teams bar none.

New avengers #3 is excellent. Hickman somehow has me feeling worried for the outcome in this adventure even though i know they aren't in any real dangerous. That's hard to do for a jaded marvel/dc fan like myself. Even more impressive is that he made Captain America likeable while still being his usual self. How does he do this? I think it helps that Cap admits he sees things in black and white. Oh and Beast as the Beast, that's a pleasant surprise. No idea which version of himself he his physically but he behaves much more like the Hank I'm used to.

At this point I'm wishing he was writing x-men too.

I loved the Black Panther backstab too. This is the best thing at Marvel and is currently outshining the sister title by a fair margin.

Avengers #5 was good too. I liked the introduction of a new guardian, and the final line makes me curious about how this cosmic event will combine with the multiversal stuff going on in New Avengers.

Another book I'm a bit surprised about liking is Superior Spiderman. Just a fun book showing the mental contest between Otto and Spiderman.

Archived