Comics V: Fox Force Five

Nephrite

(I can only remember Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá)

Daytripper was an excellent comic, but I did have to laugh at the problems of all these gorgeous Brazilians while I was a poor grad student.

"Oh, a hot girl broke up with me and left my giant apartment! But now I have another hot girl checking me out at the grocery store!"

eta: Not to say all of Brazil has it so good, but it would as if they set their stories among the fashion models of France or stars of Hollywood.

The hardcovers are very nice as you say but trying to find a shelf on my bookcase big enough to accommodate them is near impossible; They stick out like a sore thumb even from my other oversized books :P

You could stack them horizontally. :D

I have to admit I haven't read much --any-- Italian books up 'til now. Any you'd recommend?

Well, they basically only have like one publishing company. Well, they have more, but it's like comparing Avatar Press to Marvel.

And I'm not sure if anything beside Dylan Dog was ever translated into English

Tex Willer is the most popular. It was the book that started its company kind of like Superman except it remained the most popular to this day. I didn't read much of it, even though I was totally into cowboys and Indians when I was a kid.

The western I read the most was Zagor. He's like a total cultural touchstone here. T-shirts and all. Hell, he even got one of those Turkish adaptation alongside Star Wars and Superman. It's basically a lovechild of Batman & Tarzan in a swamp in the north-east USA. And he has a fat Mexican sidekick. It's rather pulpy, while it started with usual bad guys like Indians and pirates and smugglers it eventually covered everything from mad scientists to aliens. Sometimes in the same issue.

My other favorite was Dylan Dog, who for those who don't know, Dog is a private detective who investigates nightmares and has Groucho Marx as a sidekick. That part is never explained. The Dark Horse editions as I understand have airbrushed the moustache of Groucho for copyright reasons. In Italy apparently nobody gives a fuck about intellectual property.

The stories themselves are often rather derivative popular horror franchises or urban legends, but it still has it's charm. And, yeah, Dylan like James Bond usually has sex once per story. If only women were that easy. The first 60 or so issues are pretty great, if they can be found. My favorite is "The Long Goodbye" story, which ironically has the least amount of monsters except those that are real in our lives as well.

Also, Corrado Roi is a pretty great artist and even if the language barrier is there, it's worth checking out some of his issues just for the artwork.

Ken Parker. Now this is a pretty good one. It's an anti-western telling the life of the title character in chronological order. The publishing is rather sporadic. Les than 80 issues over 40 years. Still it's one of the most popular characters in Italy.

Alan Ford - another childhood favorite. It's a comedy strip about a group of... I don't, know spies/crime fighters/losers that work out of a flowershop in New York. It's a weird comic in that it has only 2 panels per page since the beginning. When I was a kid, I didn't notice it, but now I see these guys were doing the same panel composition for 120 pages every month for YEARS.

Commander Mark is about a rag-tag group of rebels making life miserable for the Red Coats on the shores of Ontario.

The Great Blek (yeah, that's his name) - The other guy that fights Red Coats while wearing a dead raccoon on his head. Didn't read much of him, but it's basically a blond version of Mark. It does have a cult status around these parts. It sold 100k in Croatia. It's shit, but shit that everybody knows about. Kind of like Wonder Woman.

Martin Mystere - It's about a dude whose sidekick is a caveman named Jawa. I don't really know what's up with sidekicks in Italian comics. It's like a competition to see who's going to come up with a more WTF character or come closer to a law suit. Martin basically deals with weird shit that science can't explain. Like Atlantis. Or Edwin Drood. Or Peter Pan. Or his haircut. I don't know. When I was a kid I read everything that was published, so I read Marty as well. I remember there was quite a lot of nudity.

Mister No - This one was cancelled a while back, even though it was Bonelli's favorite. It was about a airplane pilot in a jungle in Brazil fighting smugglers and jaguars. Good times.

Nathan Never - like Dyan was inspired by horrors, Nathan was a child of Blade Runner and other dystopian SFs. It was one of my favorites back in the day.

Nick Raider - about a cop in New York. His sidekick is a black guy!

Lazarus Ledd - Look not a Bonelli comic! Basically secret agent with memory loss.

Looking back most of this stuff is simple pulp fiction that I enjoyed cause I was a kid. Besides Ken Parker they have like zero continuity. Dylan always starts the episode in his apartment playing the clarinet or some other emo thing. But, it kind of doesn't matter. They have that reading them by the fireplace on a rainy day quality. There are no Watchmen here. Still, I feel like I'd rather read this than the usual grimdark crap I'm poisoning myself these days. Nostalgia is a powerful weapon.

Man, it really surprises me with globalization the way it is that comics still have a level of regionality to it. I think it's great from the standpoint of global culture, not so great from the standpoint that I now want to read all these titles and there's very little chance of them seeing publication in my region or in a language I understand.

Man, it really surprises me with globalization the way it is that comics still have a level of regionality to it. I think it's great from the standpoint of global culture, not so great from the standpoint that I now want to read all these titles and there's very little chance of them seeing publication in my region or in a language I understand.

It's pretty much the same with video entertainment except for the fact english spoken film is the most pervasive. I'd still say Australian vs American vs British vs Japanese vs Korean vs Danish tv/film are distinct too.

I don't know if there is the equivalent of fansubs/translations for european comics like there is for manga. I know it's not legal but in the sense of the material never being translated it's maybe a necessary evil? Plus in terms of manga the fansubs helped show there was a market for doing english translations.

It's pretty much the same with video entertainment except for the fact english spoken film is the most pervasive. I'd still say Australian vs American vs British vs Japanese vs Korean vs Danish tv/film are distinct too.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Living in (English-speaking) Canada it's sometimes easy to forget that as we pretty much import all our pop culture from the US (though to be fair, we also export a lot of talent :P)

Canada hasn't really had it's own comics industry since the 40s and 50s, though every once and awhile they try to revive the Captain Canuck comic that started in the the 1970's.

I don't know if there is the equivalent of fansubs/translations for european comics like there is for manga. I know it's not legal but in the sense of the material never being translated it's maybe a necessary evil? Plus in terms of manga the fansubs helped show there was a market for doing english translations.

I wish there was something that made these works available in English. (Not that I'm arguing for piracy -- I'd gladly pay for said comics, and have in the past)

The difference though is there's a large enough demand in North America for manga to find an audience, whereas the North American audience for Euro comics is about as niche as it gets.

Perhaps now that digital comics are becoming more popular and publishers can forgo the cost of print it will become more economically viable to cater to this niche. One can only hope.

ACTION COMICS #16 - You know what would be cool? If Morrison got back on those ADD medications so he can wrap something up without adding even more shit.

The villain here has compressed whole years of Superman's life into hours and apparently shoved all the pain of humanity into his brain. So the plot is already jumping all over the place, and what we really don't need is the Legion of Super-Heroes getting into the mix. And they get 5 fucking pages. Pages that could've been devoted to just about anybody else. We never need the Legion of Super-Heroes. Especially not the mid-30's stubble gang of losers that still hang out together when they already failed at their one job. Fuck those guys.

The title of the issue is The Second Death of Superman and that would've been fine if he, you know, actually died in the fucking issue or if the fucking plot was actually about that time he died instead of three years later which is also the day after. What did I say about time being compressed?

Morrison's writing is... well, he talked about his process being "first draft writing" and he sure convinced me. There's some dialogue here that will leave me confused for the rest of my life.

Lightning *** says: "Just call us Electromagnetic man, Rokk."

Then in the next panel the same guy says: "Call us Lighting Man, Cosmic Man and Saturn Woman."

First of all, who is he talking to? There's nobody around but the 3 of them (and a friendly snake), and as dumb as the Legion is, I'm sure they don't need to remind themselves of their own names. Then again... Legion. But the first sentence where he combines their powers for the duration of panel to create a new alter-ego? WTF is that all about? Was he confused by his own exclamation so much that he had to remind himself that he is not actually one person in two bodies, just in case they don't spend the rest of their rather generous 5 pages walking into walls like 31st century Roombas?

The next page has this brilliance: "They're in colors! LEGION!"

Yes, masked security guard #2. Their clothes are not monochromatic. Neither are yours. LEGION!

Then we have Jimmy talking about something called a "Malcolm McDowell all-nighter", which I think means that he and Clark spent the night roaming the countryside breaking into people's houses and raping them while belting "Singing In The Rain".

Which is a thing Superman does.

Lois spends the whole issue commenting on the weather and an article Daily Planet once published when the weather was similar. The Superman Hate Club members are still a bunch of casual-Friday dressed nobodies screaming how much killing they gonna do to Superman and the main baddie seems to take the whole over-reaction thing to a whole new level. Why so butthurt?

What can I say about Rags Morales artwork that I didn't say before? His Krypto looks like a cross between a cat and a rat. And that's the good part. Everything else is buttfuck ugly and the process that lead to the decision to put him on this book is something that scholars in the far future should study as an exercise in 21st century stupidity. Scholars in the 31st century. Maybe the Legion can do it. Since they do fuck all anyway.

WOLVERINE and the X-MEN #23 - I wish Idie would just go away. I think it says a lot about this book where the only emotional resonance I have is for one of the bad guys.

THE LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE #2 - The violence in this book is a thing of beauty. Like a Malcolm McDowell all-nighter.

Cable and the X-force #3- Stuff happens (this issue if written by Fraction, would be divided in two), Cable's plan makes sense, and characterizations are good, including Forge being an idiot. There's still some hope (get it? get it?) that this book will turn out to be pretty good, rather than some just nostalgia trip to the Dark Ages of the comic book world starring one of the most popular characters of that era. Speaking of popular characters of the Dark Ages:

Punisher: War Zone #3- It's a shame Rucka is leaving superhero books, because he knows how to write them. I liked he didn't go into crazy fanboy mode (or Garth Ennis mode) and made it clear Frank had a snowball chance in hell against Thor. The scene of the two of them enjoying a few beers is very fun, although Thor just letting him go doesn't make that much sense, but this was still entertaining. Speaking of the Odinson:

Thor: God of Thunder #4- I can't believe this is written by the same guy of WatXM- this book is EPIC, relevant, has a very interesting villain, the leading character is very well written, and it is all kinds of awesome. Marvel's second best book currently, trailing Hawkeye. And speaking of irregular writers and Matt Fraction:

Fantastic Four #3- The Fantastic Four continue their journey into irrelevancy, in another issue where nothing happens. Speaking of issues in which nothing happens:

The Walking Dead #106- Last issue ended with Neggan being a boring asshole and threatening to do something horrible with Carl, and this ends with Negan still being a boring asshole and threatening to do something horrible with Carl. He's quickly turning into the Hellfire Brats of this book.

Given yesterday's talk about european comics and their need for bizarre side-kicks, it looks like Dan Slott might be a fan. Spider-man's new sidekick is

Peter Parker's ghost

. Now if those idiots had carried out their death threats, they'd be feeling a bit guilty right now.

On the subject of Italian comics, years ago I saw a truly bewildering horror comedy called Cemetary Man which, although it starred Rupert Everett of all people, seemed to be Italian. Whilst trying to make sense of it by looking at the extras (bad idea) I found that it was apparently full of references to Dylan Dog. It's not a classic but it might be worth watching if you're into that sort of pulpy horror.

Reading Superioir Spider-Man I have to ask a thing that's bugging me every time Shocker appears in a comics. He built those blast/shock gauntlets himself, while in jail if I'm not totally mistaken. Why is the guy always portrayed as a dumb mook if he can pull of an inventing something like that?

Anyways, Punisher:War Zone was really good, a shame Rucka is leaving the superhero business as his Punisher comics has been awesome since day one. Now the only Punisher available is the Jesse Custer look-alike in Thunderbolts.

Action Comics #16: You know, for whatever reason I actually liked this battle across the shards of time. I'm curious to see how this ends.

Mind the Gap #7: What started out as a murder mystery seems to expand into a whole controversy/conspiracy involving the nature of the mind, yet still focused tightly on the main cast. This is a pretty enjoyable, low key comic which uses supernatural concepts without drowning the more natural aspects of the story.

Thor God of Thunder #4: Best book I've read from this week's releases. Great villain, great way to tie together the different timelines. Amazing that we're treated to epic stakes that feel epic when we're not even 10 issues in. In a weird way, this book is everything so many crossovers, especially the turd-forced-through-sphincter that was AvX, try yet fail to be.

Thor God of Thunder #4: Best book I've read from this week's releases. Great villain, great way to tie together the different timelines. Amazing that we're treated to epic stakes that feel epic when we're not even 10 issues in. In a weird way, this book is everything so many crossovers, especially the turd-forced-through-sphincter that was AvX, try yet fail to be.

Sounds like Aaron should be given a chance at his own summer event. Then again he did Schism but I guess that was editorially forced on him to get the two x-men camps. Hopefully he'll get a chance at crafting his own "event" sometime although I suspect Hickman is better positioned for that these days and Aaron isn't going to be able to do anything X-related without Bendis' involvement.

MORNING GLORY DAYS: Answers At Season's End

With their most recent issues, writer Nick Spencer and artist Joe Eisma have started to turn mystery to revelation to a greater extent than before in the long-running sci-fi/spiritual/mystery/teen drama. From the machinations of Truants spiritual leader Abraham to the grisly details of the sacrifice demanded by the Morning Glory Academy's resident ghost monster David, the action is lining up as the book moves towards the conclusion of its first "Season" of stories this spring.

With all that happening, what better time to return to MORNING GLORY DAYS, CBR's ongoing look behind the scenes of the series. This month, Nick Spencer takes readers on a tour of issues #22 and 23 where the full plans of Truant leader Irina come to light as Hunter and Jun are thrown into a world of Babel and the hand of David claims new victims.

Below, the writer describes his plan for unveiling many new answers as the first season draws toward its close, shares what was really behind the Truants name from day one and lays out the news of how fans can jump back into the series with new special issues coming in the wake of the monster #25.

Sounds like Aaron should be given a chance at his own summer event. Then again he did Schism but I guess that was editorially forced on him to get the two x-men camps. Hopefully he'll get a chance at crafting his own "event" sometime although I suspect Hickman is better positioned for that these days and Aaron isn't going to be able to do anything X-related without Bendis' involvement.

Hickman is just a guy whose stories naturally would become events. I mean he had Galactus + Adult Franklin + Doom + FF + other heroes vs Celestials back in a 3 issue arc of Fantastic Four. Now, just add 4 or 5 issues to it, make the heroes fight each other, and end up in a disappointing way and you have an event right there.

On Italian comics, I've only read one issue of Tex and some of Milo Manara's stories. Didn't like any of them, as much as I wanted to. As to European comics in general, it's easier to find translations of them in Brazil than than translations of American creator-owned comics, really. Not to mention in both cities where I've lived we have a Maison de France with their great libraries, so anyone who reads French has that option. It's also easier for us to read comics published in Spain or in other parts of Latin America, since anyone who speaks Portuguese can understand Spanish if they concentrate enough.

As to this week's comics:

The Walking Dead #106: best cliffhanger in a while, I'd say. Why do I have the feeling the revelation next issue will be disappointing? Either that, or Kirkman will just create some new cruel way to torture his characters for nothing more than shock-value. Oh well...

Wolverine and the X-Men #23: yep, this was definitely the worst arc this series has ever seen, and I hope they don't bring Frankenstein's monster back any time soon. I have to agree with who said above that they should go and kill Idie already, worst thing to come out of Generation Hope. But, yay! Azazel!

Cable and X-Force #3: surprisingly entertaining. Loved the 24 style and where this story seems to be going with its clever enough plot. It would benefit from more Nemesis, though.

Superior Spider-Man #1: well, that was interesting, a ruthless Spidey. Not as much fun to read as usual, of course, but I continue to trust the possibility this body swap, like all others, can create for the story. But Peter's ghost, really?

Thor God of Thunder #4: brilliant, as usual. This arc is probably the scariest thing I've ever read in a comic book, and the best thing Marvel has published in a while.

Are people even talking about Avengers Arena anymore? Because after the initial commotion, I haven't seen people expressing their hatred or love for it as frequently as expected.

On the subject of Italian comics, years ago I saw a truly bewildering horror comedy called Cemetary Man which, although it starred Rupert Everett of all people, seemed to be Italian. Whilst trying to make sense of it by looking at the extras (bad idea) I found that it was apparently full of references to Dylan Dog. It's not a classic but it might be worth watching if you're into that sort of pulpy horror.

And Dylan Dog's looks were based on Everett.

Now the only Punisher available is the Jesse Custer look-alike in Thunderbolts.

It's a Frank World, baby.

Action Comics #16: You know, for whatever reason I actually liked this battle across the shards of time. I'm curious to see how this ends.

We're did this. <<< DC editorial in a nutshell. I don't know if they don't bother with proof-reading this, or they think "Grant is a genius, we probably don't understand what he meant by this weirdly phrased sentence".

Now, I like the idea of a battle through time, it's just that the execution of the concept sucks. There's no flow between panels even if you disregard the time-jumps. Coudn't they pardon Doug Mahnke for whatever crimes him committed (peeing in the executive bathroom?) and put him on this and let someone else suffer by drawing Hal Jordan's Most Execellent Adventures?

In one moment it seems like Morrison plotted this from the start, but in the next it looks like he's making up as he goes. Maybe it will read better in one go. Now it seems like I love odd-numbered issues and hate even-numbered.

I have to agree with who said above that they should go and kill Idie already, worst thing to come out of Generation Hope.

That was me. I always take credit for every time I scream for the murder of children. But, Idie's mopey homicidal psychopath schtick is really wearing thin. Combine that with that thing people just love doing in comics these days. And that is saying the last line of dialogue as you walk away. Probably in the hope that no one has a chance to give you a witty comeback. I say: kill.

Heh, I can't excuse the bad grammar. I agree it jumps around but for whatever reason I felt like I could follow the flow of events whereas I felt disoriented when this time skipping started.

Also, finished Boys in Barnes.

Spoiler

I might be one of the few who liked Butcher turning out to be a psycho. I felt like Ennis was making him too much of a Gary Stu so it was good he turned out to be the villain.

Superior Spider-Man #1: well, that was interesting, a ruthless Spidey. Not as much fun to read as usual, of course, but I continue to trust the possibility this body swap, like all others, can create for the story. But Peter's ghost, really?

The ending did make an earlier scene make more sense too. I think it could be fun trying to work out when the "friendly neighbourhood

spider-ghost

" is influencing events.

Some parts were bugging me though. What on earth does MAry Jane see in Spoctopus? He acts like a complete jerk around her all the time. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the "new" powers. Are we supposed to believe that Peter never used his claws because he was worried he'd kill someone? I guess they just wanted a visual cue as I'm sure Spidey tearing his "sticky" hands across your chest would tear off skin. Maybe the claws will be artificial, I guess that fits with Doc Ock's personality.

Assuming we don't need spoilers for Spiderman:

Hearing about Peter's ghost it makes sense as there was no way this was going to last without Parker in the book in some way.

Honestly, the idea of Doc-Spidey got me interested in at least looking at the book but the truth is Doc Oc is not a very interesting character as written.

Okay, he's an asshole being a hero - the Spiderman version of Punisher. That's only interesting for about 1-3 issues IMO. Without Parker there's no dynamic and even one issue with Doc Oc was wearing thin.

Archived