Theories you simply don't believe

mitch176

Any theory that goes beyond common sense.

Why should Jon be dead and that Mel will bring him back as UnJon like Beric and Cat. Isn't it far more simple and acceptable by readers the possibility that he is not dead? That he was simply stabbed a few times but ultimately survived?

See I have no idea about the Doran is a pedophile theory.

No need to read it. It goes like that: Naked children are playing in his pool. He is watching naked children. He wears a blancket. He is a pedophile. End of story.

No need to read it. It goes like that: Naked children are playing in his pool. He is watching naked children. He wears a blancket. He is a pedophile. End of story.

o.O I always presumed that it just brought back pleasant memories for him, he talks to several characters about when they were in the pools/his brother and sister playing, I never considered he's a pedophile, that is going on my list of theories I don't believe for sure!

The theory is that Doran is a pediophile because he likes watching children play in the Watergarden. Which is about as compelling an argument as Brynden Tully is gay because he never got married.

Which are both completely ridicolous and ultimately unimportant theories, what effect at all do they have on the story????

I personally think (or maybe hope) that the reason the Blackfish didn't marry is because he believes in true love and just hasn't met the right woman yet.

Any theory that goes beyond common sense.

Why should Jon be dead and that Mel will bring him back as UnJon like Beric and Cat. Isn't it far more simple and acceptable by readers the possibility that he is not dead? That he was simply stabbed a few times but ultimately survived?

Occam's razor is much duller when it comes to works of fiction generally and ASoIaF in particular. Quite frankly, it would much less acceptable to readers for Jon's murder to stand when there's been such obvious groundwork laid for resurrection.

Occam's razor is much duller when it comes to works of fiction generally and ASoIaF in particular. Quite frankly, it would much less acceptable to readers for Jon's murder to stand when there's been such obvious groundwork laid for resurrection.

Or maybe people believe what they want to believe. Just like the "to go north, you must go south blah blah blah". Most people believed that Dany will be the new Ferdinand Magellan and visit Asshai while it was absolutely clear Quaithe was only answering her question regarding what she will find in Asshai. And they still believe it even after GRRM said Dany will not go to Asshai. And even after we are only two books from the end and Dany would need either a wormhole or at least 4 books to land to Westeros from the East.

So all this groundwork for resurrection might mean nothing at all.

Or maybe people believe what they want to believe. Just like the "to go north, you must go south blah blah blah". Most people believed that Dany will be the new Ferdinand Magellan and visit Asshai while it was absolutely clear Quaithe was only answering her question regarding what she will find in Asshai. And they still believe it even after GRRM said Dany will not go to Asshai. And even after we are only two books from the end and Dany would need either a wormhole or at least 4 books to land to Westeros from the East.

So all this groundwork for resurrection might mean nothing at all.

Sure, some theories are more likely than others. The line about Dany having to "pass under the shadow", combined with Asshai being mysteriously referred to as Asshai-Under-the-Shadow, combined with the whole "to go north, you must go south blah blah blah", the Dany-to-Asshai theory does make some sense... but it's certainly more unlikely to occur than Jon's resurrection, especially given, as you point out, GRRM's point-blank statement about it. Yes, you are correct... people believe what they want to believe. We have whole religions built on bigger assumptions.

For Jon not to continue to be some part of the story going forward other than as a good, old-fashioned corpse however would almost be a work of utmost literary subversion on the part of GRRM. Does GRRM enjoy subverting genre expectation sometimes? Absolutely, but to claim that it's more likely that in Jon's case dead-is-dead when given so many examples of resurrection in the work itself would be the pinnacle of subversion.

People work these theories because it's a fun mental exercize. After the books are done, it will be fun to look back and see what is true and what is not.

I don't believe that Ashara Dayne will resurface as someone else (like Quaithe, sorry Ran).

I understand that there is room for doubt, and it's true (correct me if I'm wrong) that no mention of her body being discovered has been made, but it's a theory I just don't buy into. I kind of hope she is actually dead. Not in a mean way I just think her story is more tragic that way, and much can remain mysterious.

Of course I'll be happy to accept the theory as soon as some kind of real evidence is shown.

I don't believe a lot of things listed on this thread, but I really strongly disbelieve the Syrio=Jaqen theory.

Whilst I am not sold on the Jojen paste theory, I do believe something odd is going on with him. He does seem to not be getting better, despite being given food and care and so on. He also spends a lot of time talking about how "today is not the day he dies" up until he gets to the caves of the children of the forrest. I do believe there is a high posibility that Coldhands fed them human and not pork, as I don't know where he would have found a pig and humans and pigs are very similar in some ways. I also believe even if "Jojen-paste" were true, we would not be explicitly told it was true.

I don't believe the dragons are going to solve more problems than they cause.

I don't believe that...

• Ashara Dayne is still alive
  • Tyrion, Jaime, or Cersei are secret Targaryans
  • Dany will go to Asshai
  • Any Stark will warg into a dragon
  • There will be other dragons appearing in the series beyond Dany's three
  • Young Griff is actually Aegon IX
  • Syrio and Jaquen were actually the same person
  • Varys is working with anyone other than Illyrio (once Vicereys died, the deal with Doran went up in smoke in his eyes)

Jojen paste is that Jojen's blood and life force are being fed to Bran in the form of weirwood paste. Personally don't believe it.

IF Jon is Ned and Ashara Dayne's son then I believe he did have a twin, the baby girl that died. If he's Lyanna and Rheagar's son then no there is no twin.

Okay. I also don't believe that Ashara gave birth to twins.

I hadn't heard the theory that Doran was a pedophile. Ick. I don't believe that... furthermore, I don't believe he conspired with Gerrold Dayne to kill little Myrcella

Archived