Let's say you're a stormlord and Robert has just revolted, your lord or your king, whaddo you do?

StannisBamfatheon

I'd fight for Rhaegar, not Aerys (which is not exactly the same thing) and then bend the knee to Robert. But... If Rhaegar had won there was a possibility that Aerys could have been deposed by Rhaegar. If I knew what would happen in ASOIAF with the WOFK and all that then I would've still bowed to House Baratheon, but I would be a secret Targaryen loyalist and I would conspire to bring a Targ to the throne, oh, and another reason is because I like the Targaryens.

I'd fight for Rhaegar, not Aerys (which is not exactly the same thing) and then bend the knee to Robert. But... If Rhaegar had won there was a possibility that Aerys could have been deposed by Rhaegar. If I knew what would happen in ASOIAF with the WOFK and all that then I would've still bowed to House Baratheon, but I would be a secret Targaryen loyalist and I would conspire to bring a Targ to the throne, oh, and another reason is because I like the Targaryens.

Hah why? The modern day Targaryens (Aerys, Viserys, Daenerys) inspire nothing but madness and death.

It would depend almost entirely on how much I knew about what Aerys had been up to. If I knew all the details, I'd join Robert's banner. If not, he'd probably be killing me at Summerhall. If I sided with the king and survived Summerhall, then assuming I were still at liberty, I'd probably go and join Mace Tyrell or Rhaegar, whichever was closer.

Essentially (and assuming I'm roughly the same person I currently am) I'd take the line that fealty to the king outweighs fealty to my liege lord - while I'd follow my lord in anything else, I wouldn't follow him against the king - unless the king was acting in such a tyrannical manner that he'd voided my oath. Aerys was, so it depends whether I would have known that.

Well seeing as the current king is a paranoid madman, you could automatically tell that other storm lords will declare for Robert which shifts you closer to Roberts side immediately. Even if you do declare for Aerys, you would be taken care of very easily as your amount of troops will be much smaller to his and back up from Loyalists will take more time as they are in different regions, this is the same exact reason House Florent was forced to declare for Renly and not Stannis when he crowned himself. Another factor is if Robert will win the war, you would view him as most likely to win since 4 kingdoms (The North, The Riverlands, The Vale and The Stormlands) are already supporting his cause while only 3 kingdoms ( Dorne, The Reach and The Crownlands) support the Targaryens.

Hah why? The modern day Targaryens (Aerys, Viserys, Daenerys) inspire nothing but madness and death.

I do not like Aerys, he was just batshit crazy, I don't like Viserys he was crazy, but that was mainly because of his situation but Daenerys is one of my top three favorite characters, maybe even my favorite.

I'd support Robert.

Aerys was a mad tyrant whose rule was hard on everyone, and he needed to be overthrown. Not just him, but House Targaryen had to lose the Iron Throne. More Targaryen rulers have brought suffering to the Realm than rule in peace and prosperity. I wouldn't want to risk another Aerys or another Brightflame.

I'd side with the faction which look more likely to win at this point. Got to be practical.

If the chances look equal, I'd side with the King, because if he wins, it's much more likely he won't forgive those who sided against him than Robert. Robert was known as someone who forgives easily, Aerys was the opposite after Duskendale.

Do you plan on coming back? Because you might find yourself homeless. After all, brave and loyal knights on the winning side must be rewarded, and what a happy coincidence - here stands a perfectly good castle, voluntarily abandoned by the previous lord... Yes, ser, lands go with the castle as well.

already sold. timeshare. greetings from Lys

on a more serious note: look at House Swann. Lord Gulian stays at home doing pretty much nothing. He send one son with Renly/Stannis, one son with Joffrey..and at the end of the War, house Swann is just as rich and poweful as it was before.

To be honest, though I probably will get yelled at...I believe that the Targaryen madness is exaggerated and so is their overall damage to Westeros, I don't see how House Baratheon or any other House is any better.

Madness exaggerated? I mean Aerys burned his warden of the north alive, Aerion killed himself trying to become a dragon, Viserys said he would let 40,000 Dothraki rape his sister, should I keep going? Is that enough?

I would have fought for my Liege Lord, not for a king I don't really know other than by his terrible reputation. Robert was a strong leader as a Lord, and he did well to inspire confidence and loyalty in his vassals. Just as if I were a Northman, I'd support Ned Stark for the same reasons. I'd say the same for the Vale as well, but I don't know so much about the Riverlands. I'm not sure so much about how well Hoster Tully inspired his own vassals... it doesn't seem like he was quite so well at it. It says a lot for Robert and his retinue of Usurpers that a good half of the realm rose in defiance for him.

Madness exaggerated? I mean Aerys burned his warden of the north alive, Aerion killed himself trying to become a dragon, Viserys said he would let 40,000 Dothraki rape his sister, should I keep going? Is that enough?

Out of what? 40 Targaryens. There's characters from other Houses far and wide in Westeros who are just as mad. Also, there's always a ruler in any dynasty who will always push their power too far and be considered 'mad.' Plus, I think that most of the Targaryen 'madness' comes from the fact that they've been taught all their lives to look down on other people and to think of themselves as better than other Westerosi because of their dragons, their features and royalty. That kind of feeling of entitlement isn't always very good.

Out of what? 40 Targaryens. There's characters from other Houses far and wide in Westeros who are just as mad. Also, there's always a ruler in any dynasty who will always push their power too far and be considered 'mad.' Plus, I think that most of the Targaryen 'madness' comes from the fact that they've been taught all their lives to look down on other people and to think of themselves as better than other Westerosi because of their dragons, their features and royalty. That kind of feeling of entitlement isn't always very good.

Yeah and I agree with you buddy, entitlement, disdain for your citizens, and arrogance are qualities that should not be lauded, no?

Yeah and I agree with you buddy, entitlement, disdain for your citizens, and arrogance are qualities that should not be lauded, no?

Maybe monarchies are the problem, not the Targaryens or any House. Any family that is allowed to be kings over somewhere will always have a few members with entitlement issues.

Archived