Non-ASOIAF Elimination Game I Best Starships

ab aeterno

I strongly disagree with dreamcatcher's opinion on Hans Gruber. I think that the Die Hard movies are a famous series and that the original villain deserves to be on our list (plus, Alan Rickman).

I also disagree about Durza. Eragon would've been a dismal movie, if not for Jeremy Irons and Robert Carlyle. They made it at least watchable.

And I don't think the Alien is a villain, because for me it's just an intelligent animal, which is following its instincts.

I like the idea of having a separate game for horror movies.

I'd say from the ones I removed from the list, Hans Landa (Inglorious Basterds) is the most deserving to stay. It's a Tarantino movie which automatically make it a cult classic despite the fact it's quite new, and Christoph Waltz was brilliant in it and critically lauded.

I strongly disagree with dreamcatcher's opinion on Hans Gruber. I think that the Die Hard movies are a famous series and that the original villain deserves to be on our list (plus, Alan Rickman).

I also disagree about Durza. Eragon would've been a dismal movie, if not for Jeremy Irons and Robert Carlyle. They made it at least watchable.

Of course you disagree, it was your list I changed. Why would anyone want to have a villain from a 'dismal movie that has made it at least watchable' on the list? Eragon is a story written by a 15-year-old and it shows. Your opinion of Durza is so totally subjective, because the film was torn apart by critics and although I personally like Jeremy Irons/Robert Carlyle, they haven't received a single nomination for his role, not even of teen awards or fantasy awards or anything. Have you even seen the films Schindler's list (Ralph Phiennes was nominated for an Oscar for the role of Amon Goeth, he was so true to the real thing (google Amon Goeth plz) that the surviving Jews got scared because they thought he was the real one) or Misery (Kathy Bates got an Oscar for her amazing rendition of Annie). Those are classic villains from classic movies, please don't tell me Eragon is because I'm not ever going to agree.

And I don't think the Alien is a villain, because for me it's just an intelligent animal, which is following its instincts.

Is this some sort of revisionist re-read where we try to interpret Roose Bolton as a good man? ;) The Xenomorph is the villain of the Alien movies (and a terrifying one at that), just as man is the villain in Bambi.

Dr. Evil needs to be replaced with Blofeld. The former is a caricature of the latter.

Can't we just split the list in two and have the game in two rounds, as we did for best ASoIaF sex scenes?

Then the top 15 (or whatever) from each round go to the grand finale? Coz then we could get this thing started... :dunno:

Can't we just split the list in two and have the game in two rounds, as we did for best ASoIaF sex scenes?

Then the top 15 (or whatever) from each round go to the grand finale? Coz then we could get this thing started... :dunno:

:agree: methinks that Kissd' is right.

Okay, so here's my rework of the list:

Section 1: Must have’s

1.Sauron

2.Saruman

3.Darth Vader

4.The Emperor (SW)

5.The Joker (Heath Ledger)

6.Hannibal Lecter

7.Freddy Krueger

8.Jason (Friday the 13th)

9.Pinhead (Hellraiser)

10.Keyser Söze

11.Hans Gruber

12.Khan (Star Trek)

13.Hans Landa (Inglorious Basterds)

14.Loki (Avengers/Thor)

15.Durza

16.Magneto

17.Creedy

18.Norman Stansfield (Gary Oldman - Leon)

19.Agent Smith

20.Voldemort

21.Leatherface

Section 2: Pulp

22.Anton (No Country for Old Men)

23.Captain Bligh

24.Nurse Ratched

25.The Terminator

26.Goldfinger

27.Bill (Kill Bill)

28.Tom Ripley

29.O-Ren (Kill Bill)

30.Sebastian Shaw

31.Franco Begbie (Trainspotting)

32.Blofeld

33.Alien

34.Amon Goeth (Shindler’s list)

35.The Penguin

36.Raoul Silva

37.Jack Torrance (The Shining)

38.Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)

39.Norman Bates (Psycho)

40.Max Cady

41.Darth Maul

42.Michael Myers (The Halloween series)

43.Ozai

44.Emperor Ping

45.Bellatrix LeStrange (Harry Potter)

46.Annie Wilkes (Misery)

47.The Predator

48.R.Lee Ermey

49.Joan Crowford

50.Calvin Canie

51.Frank Booth

52.Dr Evil

53.Bison (Street Fighter)

Section 3: Disney

54.Cruella de Vil

55.Scar (Lion King)

56.Claude Frollo

57.Ursula

58.Malificent

Section 4: Others.

59.Galbatorix

60.Alex Trevelyan

61.Sutler

62.The Architect

I have a few last-minute additions:

The Wicked Witch of the West (The Wizard of Oz)

Mr. Potter (It’s a Wonderful Life)

Alex Delarge (A Clockwork Orange)

Gordon Gekko (Wall Street)

Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver)

Auric Goldfinger (Goldfinger)

If we remove the Disney villains, and add those I suggested above, we'll have 63 names. I propose that we remove Sutler, The Architect and Galbatorix - this would get the list down to 60 villains, which we can do in two games.

Unless it's too late I'd like to make a last minute plea to replace some of the 'slasher' film villains with more 'proper actror' villains, Amon Goeth was a much better villain than Leathface, because you can actually believe in him and (to a degree) understand where he's coming from.

If it were up to me I'd like to see Anton, Amon and Patrick Bateman in the 30 over Leatherface, Freddie and Jason. (I'd also get rid of Durza, but he seems to have support)

Archived