Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time

Alwyn

Werthead, what I wrote in that post is all old news. None of it is from KoD. Did you ever have a look at the WoT FAQ? Here's the article on Moiraine.

It's not old news to someone who is contemplating starting the series in the first place, which is what the original post in this thread was about.

True to a certain extent, but
SPOILER: KoD
Olver's involvement
was not foreshadowed in any of the earlier books IIRC. The other characters' involvement was, as you say, foreshadowed earlier though.

SPOILER:
Olver's involvement was quite obvious before, with his obsession with the Snakes and Foxes game. it was a popular theory since Winter's Heart at least. There really wasn't any news in KoD.

Theories are theories until they are proven or not. So even if a theory is 90% accepted, the news that it is 100% confirmed in the next book is still a spoiler.

Say GRRM reveals in ADwD that Lyanna and Rhaegar are 100% Jon's parents. Do the initial ARC reviewers of ADwD then not have to spoiler that information because the majority of people thought that was the case all along?

I though bringing in the Seanchan was a superfluous move. As if there hadn't been enough plotlines and intrgues before. I suspect Jordan to go: hmm, I'll haveto get to some conclusion soon, and that means killing some main characters. But I don't want to do that. So what do I do? :idea: I'll just introduce a whole new plotline with a whole new people coming out of nowhere and starting a war!

Well, the Seanchan were there from the second book on. So I can't say that I entirely agree.

The problem with books six onward, for me, is that

SPOILER: pretty much the entire series
three of the most interesting characters in the series were taken out of the mix at the end of book five (Moiraine, Lanfear and Asmodean). Granted Lanfear comes back but Jordan completely ruined what was interesting about her character. And I'm STILL pissed off about how he killed off Asmodean in such a deliberately cryptic manner.

So yeah, I agree about the Moiraine stuff.

Guest rhaenys

IMO, anything on this thread that specifically names any plot developments in the book should probably have a spoiler, given the nature of the thread. I really don't think the person who started it should even read it anymore, since WOT is virtually guaranteed to not be very good with this info.

Wondering what happens next is one of the saving graces of the series.

On the topic of the thread, I do think that Jordan has taking to resolving major plot threads in a really anti-climactic way, particularly in the last book. The issue that was resolved earlier (in 9, I think) on the hill in the woods was actually done pretty well and treated like the major events that it was, IMO.

I still remember reading 10. I finished it before my friends who read the series, and immediately went into a tirade about how sucky it was. There all thought I was exaggerating because I expected too much after waiting so long, but they found out for themselves soon enough (well, not really, it was so slow it took them forever to motivate themselvse to finish it, but eventually).

The last book was better to the extent that some things happened, but most of it didn't happen in a way that was as entertaining as it could have been.

The only thing you need to know about the WoT is that by the time you get to book 10, the plot is so bloated with irrelevant sidetracks and pointless minor characters that the only thing of note that happens in the entire 800-odd pages is that one of the main characters has a bath.

You think I'm joking don't you? I'm not. Crossroads of Twilight should have been renamed Elayne Washes

then again nothing wrong with elayne bathing is there ;p

I wonder why anyone would want to be a darkfriend though. The benefits suck, the dark one screws you and rand kicks his butt at the end of most books in a showdown.

*thread diversion*

Seventh Pup, I congratulate you on one of the coolest avatars I've ever seen on this board

*diversion over*

*thread diversion*

Seventh Pup, I congratulate you on one of the coolest avatars I've ever seen on this board

*diversion over*

Thank you! :D:blush:

In book 12 it will be announced that the Dark One actually doesn't exist and it's all an elaborate April Fools joke from the Creator.

:lol: I think at this point that might actually be a good ending.

Rand goes to the Last Battle and all thats waiting for his is one of those cans that shoot out harmless snakes. He then gets a "Kick Me" sign attached to his back out of nowhere, and goes crazy.

Yes there is part of me that would enjoy that. :mellow:

Thank you! :D:blush:

:lol: I think at this point that might actually be a good ending.

Rand goes to the Last Battle and all thats waiting for his is one of those cans that shoot out harmless snakes. He then gets a "Kick Me" sign attached to his back out of nowhere, and goes crazy.

Yes there is part of me that would enjoy that. :mellow:

If I was him I'd make that the ending, then move to Brazil for life safety.

3rd was the worst from the 'good' half of the series.

This seems to be the prevailing sentiment of most WoT fans, but I've just never understood it. For me, book 3 is when the series really gets going.

Book 1 was entertaining enough, but when you think about it, there really wasn't much of an original plot. Of course, that might be why so many people do like it: because it gave readers a sense of familiarity like RJ intended.

Book 2 had some really great moments, I won't deny it; however, most of these don't happen until the end. Before these moments, we just get alot of mind-numbing traveling.

Also, Books 1 and 2 are pretty much "Rand" books. Book 3 is where Perrin starts to get (a little) comfortable with himself and Mat (almost everybody's favorite character!) becomes more than just that whiny guy who's always giving Rand shit. Plus, Book 3 has my favorite scene: Matt vs. the Trakand boys.

So, why the TDR hate?

I liked the whole seanchan thing in book2, and the suldamme and the battle in the sky at the end.

However since GK copied all those ideas from RJ, but I read SOT first instead of WOT somehow, I am having some weird reverse disgust, with the repeated ideas, even though it's GK's fault not RJ.

I still think book 5 (?) Fires of Heaven, is the coolest title for a book ever.

So, why the TDR hate?

I liked TDR! I liked the devolpment of the plot and characters. For me book 5 is where it all starts to go wrong. Of the "good half" I would say book two was probably my least favorite, but they are all pretty good, and I really, really, really enjoyed the first four books of the series.

Guest rhaenys
Book 3 is where Perrin starts to get (a little) comfortable with himself and Mat (almost everybody's favorite character!) becomes more than just that whiny guy who's always giving Rand shit. Plus, Book 3 has my favorite scene: Matt vs. the Trakand boys.

You're right - that was a great scene. Jordan used to be really, really good at delivering those kind of totally fulfilling cool-as-hell blockbuster-movie scenes like the one you mention and Perrin's plot line in Book 4 (Dumai's Wells, although disgusting, ranks for me too, because just like Matt with the Trakands, you've been wondering what Rand and his black-coated buddies can do for awhile).

I am hoping he delivers more of the same for when Egwene finally gets the job done, but he doesn't seem to have it him anymore.

RJ does write really good hand to hand fight scenes, particularly when the power is not involved (probably better than Martin's actually) - I had forgetten that. He just writes really, really boring political intrigue (whereas Martin writes great ones - like all of Tyrion's in KL scenes).

EDIT: BTW - all of that has made me kind of nostalgic about Jordan - does anybody know what the best discussion board for WOT is right now?

RJ does write really good hand to hand fight scenes

That's so true. He really knows how to write "momentum". He knows how to direct pace. Too bad he spends so much time in slow-mo. He's also excellent at writing chill-inducing scenes.. like in KoD when Nyn rallies the Malkieri to march with Lan. Just wow.

So, why the TDR hate?

For my part, I think there's too few Rand chapters. His viewpoint was, and remains, the most interesting (save, perhaps, the Forsaken's). And the sideplots are more entertaining in Shadow Rising anyway.

That said, it's still a good book and arguably better than tEotW

Guest rhaenys
That's so true. He really knows how to write "momentum". He knows how to direct pace. Too bad he spends so much time in slow-mo. He's also excellent at writing chill-inducing scenes.. like in KoD when Nyn rallies the Malkieri to march with Lan. Just wow.

Yes, so, so good. That one scene was probably the best out of any book since LOC (although there was plenty of opportunity for better ones - that one was just written the best)

By the way, do you know he only has an average of four years to live?!? This letter was linked on the Theoryland site, and it is for real - no hoax. I had heard he had a blood disease, but I had no idea it was so serious.

This really, really troubles me, except that there is only one book left right? And, of course, it's very unfortunate for him as well...

Yes, so, so good. That one scene was probably the best out of any book since LOC (although there was plenty of opportunity for better ones - that one was just written the best)

By the way, do you know he only has an average of four years to live?!? This letter was linked on the Theoryland site, and it is for real - no hoax. I had heard he had a blood disease, but I had no idea it was so serious.

This really, really troubles me, except that there is only one book left right? And, of course, it's very unfortunate for him as well...

There's already been like an 8 page thread on it.

Archived