Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time

Alwyn

I usually have a strong (negative) opinion of Robert Jordan but since I got the news that he was dying of a rare blood ilness I decided to ease up for awhile.

I mean I happen to think his books really REALLY suck but dying has got to suck even worse then his books.

But at least Jordan is no Goodkind(Terry Goodkind has no writting ability at all)

Jordan's plots just get bogged down in useless idiotic detail.

RJ does write really good hand to hand fight scenes, particularly when the power is not involved (probably better than Martin's actually) - I had forgetten that. He just writes really, really boring political intrigue (whereas Martin writes great ones - like all of Tyrion's in KL scenes).

EDIT: BTW - all of that has made me kind of nostalgic about Jordan - does anybody know what the best discussion board for WOT is right now?

Not too sure about the fight scenes. The duel between the Red Viper and Gregor I think pretty much trumps anything in WoT, although that is one of the strengths of Jordan. The Power battles I actually liked and I think he's always been quite good exploiting the logical uses of the Power to the maximum (for example, the bit with the Death Gates and the air-mines was pretty impressive) without violating his own rules (although the Shadowspawn-can't-use-gateways thing seems like a suspicious retcon).

The 'best' board for WoT is www.wotmania.com

Some of the other ones are okay, but wotmania seems to have quite a lot of people who are prepared to stand up and say they hated CoT/PoD/whatever with less blind Jordan-love. Dragonmount and a few of the other boards are good but saying you dislike one of the books can lead to rioting and is perhaps best avoided.

My cousin bet me 50 bucks that I couldn't get banned from a forum in one post (he failed to specifiy whichkind) in one post. So I went over to one of the Jordan worship boards and started an I hate COT thread.

I got the 50 bucks.

My cousin bet me 50 bucks that I couldn't get banned from a forum in one post (he failed to specifiy whichkind) in one post. So I went over to one of the Jordan worship boards and started an I hate COT thread.

I got the 50 bucks.

Hah, I know what I am going to go do now.

Guest rhaenys
There's already been like an 8 page thread on it.

I did go back and scan every post from this forum from the second half of March, when the news was released, but didn't see anything. I just did a search and it appears that the news didn't make here until later. Sorry if it's all against the rules to bring it up again, but I wanted to check if there really only was one book left.

Anyway, it would impact my opinion on whether someone should read the series, since I guess I would wait for the last book to make sure it ever comes out before I read 11 others.

Ah, but looks can be deceiving.

Wotmania's format definitely blows, and Dylanfanatic will no doubt be here sometime soon to tell you about some vote or other in which the members actually decided that's what they wanted :unsure: .

However, while I don't know about Wotmania's community, I do know from personal experience that the one over at Dragonmount is a little too Goodkind fanboy-esque in their treatment of dissenting opinions.

Sorry if it's all against the rules to bring it up again, but I wanted to check if there really only was one book left.

No rules broken at all. One can't spot everything in a board this size...

I got the 50 bucks.

Excellent! Was it Wotmania? I created a post ages ago basically asking what the weakest book in the series was and most people replied with their opinions. A few went a bit Goodkind fanboy crazy, but those were just ignored. Certainly wasn't banned or anything.

If you want to earn another 50 bucks, go over to one of the Goodkind forums and ask "IS GOODKIND GAY?" or "GOODKIND SUCKS! WHY DO YOU LIKE HIM?" and you'll get banned in a microsecond. Mind you, your brother may not fall for that one again.

Ah, but looks can be deceiving.

Wotmania's format definitely blows, and Dylanfanatic will no doubt be here sometime soon to tell you about some vote or other in which the members actually decided that's what they wanted :unsure: .

However, while I don't know about Wotmania's community, I do know from personal experience that the one over at Dragonmount is a little too Goodkind fanboy-esque in their treatment of dissenting opinions.

Yeah, Wotmania had a vote in 2001 where they agreed to keep the current format. After five years I think it's time for another one. Also Wotmania's server is shot. It's much slower than any other forum-server I've come across and oddly seems to get smoother the more people who are on-line.

Guest rhaenys

I guess I can't hold it against him since he's in and out of the hospital every other day, and probably on all kinds of crazy drugs, but check out this quote from Jordan's blog:

In any event, along the way I came to some small understanding of a small part of what makes women tick, and this has allowed me to write women that women find to be real.

Is there a single woman reading this thread or anywhere else who would agree with that statement?

He is coherent enough to diss Ayn Rand as "something that interests the young," which is funny.

Here the link, just you know I'm not making this stuff up.

Yeah amyloidosis is related to multiple myeloma which is a cancer.

But hopefully with the early chemo/transplant and if his light chain excretion is not too high yet he should be ok for a few years at least, hopefully.

I guess I can't hold it against him since he's in and out of the hospital every other day, and probably on all kinds of crazy drugs, but check out this quote from Jordan's blog:

Is there a single woman reading this thread or anywhere else who would agree with that statement?

He is coherent enough to diss Ayn Rand as "something that interests the young," which is funny.

Here the link, just you know I'm not making this stuff up.

I'd have a lot more respect for Jordan if he'd just admit to himself, "Yeah, alright, I can't write a female character worth a damn and have some warped view that all women do is smooth their skirts and complain about men."

I'd have a lot more respect for Jordan if he'd just admit to himself, "Yeah, alright, I can't write a female character worth a damn and have some warped view that all women do is smooth their skirts and complain about men."

Okay, maybe not the skirt-smoothing thing, but you have to admit he may have hit the nail on the head with some of his ideas (says someone with a majority of female friends and raised mainly by my mum).

Unfortunately the problem is that a lot of women have said to RJ, "Oooh, you write women so well," which probably says something more about them. He likes trotting out the story that some women came to the signing tour for The Dragon Reborn (Book 3, which makes it about 14 years ago) convinced that he was a woman because he 'wrote women so well'. Even though he blatantly doesn't.

I think the fact that his books get onto the New York Times Bestseller lists despite whatever the critics say has kind of deadened him to criticism. Even if he is perhaps slightly more willing to listen to criticism than, say, Goodkind. He did admit CoT was crap, for example, even if he notably didn't apologise for it.

I think the fact that his books get onto the New York Times Bestseller lists despite whatever the critics say has kind of deadened him to criticism. Even if he is perhaps slightly more willing to listen to criticism than, say, Goodkind. He did admit CoT was crap, for example, even if he notably didn't apologise for it.

He did? I got to respect him for that then. Because he's right.

About Jordan's women... It's not that I have never met a woman that reminds me of Nynaeve(sp); it's just that not all women are like this. There is a sameness to all his female characters that I find aggrevating.

Can some one give me a basic run down of Knife of Dreams? Just tell which PoV's are in it, and if there is any resolution! I might just have to read it if it has enough characters that I at least sort of like.

He did? I got to respect him for that then. Because he's right.

About Jordan's women... It's not that I have never met a woman that reminds me of Nynaeve(sp); it's just that not all women are like this. There is a sameness to all his female characters that I find aggrevating.

Can some one give me a basic run down of Knife of Dreams? Just tell which PoV's are in it, and if there is any resolution! I might just have to read it if it has enough characters that I at least sort of like.

It's got all the main characters: Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nynaeve, Elayne, Min, Lan. Several dragging plotlines are wrapped up. KoD is not the book to skip.

Hahaha, there's this guy at my Uni who just read all 11 WoT books, I've spoken to him a few times about it. I told him the other day about RJ's illness, he nearly freaked, as he hadn't heard about it. He said "Oh shit! He better finish that damn series".

It gave me a laugh during a lecture.

Archived