Why did the Wights have weapons?

Conchobar

Why did the wights have weapons in the show? Was it mentioned in the books? Because I do not remember them having the ability to use weapons. Then again now that I think of it, they don't really pose as much as threat as the fear for them would suggest if they were just grabbing at people.

Can someone clear this up for me?

And

• 4 weeks later...

Can't think of a wight using a weapon in the book, they probably took liberty with that to make them less 100% zombie BRAAAINS like. It's not that much of a stretch though given what we know about the wights (some form of memory etc). Not a change that really "changes" anything imo. But yeah I don't recall it happening in the books.

I don't think it says they wield weapons in the books, but I like to think they do. I'd much rather have wights wielding weapons and behaving like an undead medieval army than being just another zombie horde like we've seen in hundreds of movies and shows.

It's not like the books went into intimate details about wights and Others. And I think it's clear that the thing that Sam sees is nothing like any of the other zombie-like creatures shuffling up the hill. They spent a good enough time in S1 talking about how the NW wights who attacked Mormont were re-animated dead people so if people can't figure it out, then it's on them for not paying attention. Not sure what else should have been done in that scene. I think it will be made abundantly more clear in S3 what the difference is between the two once we see Sam slay one.

Because they talk constantly on the show about how the dead people come back as zombies (although they never say zombies) and showed how the NW guys reanimated in S1 to attack Mormont (as well as the Wildlings in the prologue).

When they talk about the White Walkers (in Old Nan's story to Bran and when the NW talk amongst each other) it's clearly about some long awakened evil. In Sam's scene, you can see the Walker on the horse who is intelligent and otherworldly, not a re-animated corpse. Then when they zoom out, it shows all of the wights shuffling zombie-like around on foot, being commanded by the other Walkers who are raising their swords and screeching while on horses. How much clearer can they make it without seriously diverting from the books?

As I mentioned, as soon as we actually see either the Battle of the Fist or failing that, Sam's encounter and slaying of the White Walker, it will be even more clear.

Edit: My bad, I got confused when a poster above taught one of the others was a wight. Leaving this here anyway since it took me a bit to type out.

How could you guys forgot the very first prologue where the Others attack the rangers.

"The Other slid forward on silent feet. In its hand was a longsword like none that Will had ever seen. No human metal had gone into the foraging of that blade. It was alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal so thin that it seemed to almost vanish when seen edge-on"

The show versions are similar in more ways than not to the book: Tall, visible bones/thin, pale white skin, bright blue eyes, unintelligible\screechy language

However in the books the Others wear armor that constantly changes color based on its surroundings from the description. In the last scene of Season 2 the Other Sam sees isn't wearing armor but I'm pretty sure the other 1-2 we see are.

On a related note Saruman's cloak in LOTR was meant to constantly shift color but that would have been costly and quite annoying on the big screen so you can see why they have changed there appearance.

I too am confused as to how anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention to the show can get the Wights and WW's confused. They look completely different. Though it's possible they simply get confused about what the (admittedly similar.) names are referring to.

Why did the wights have weapons in the show? Was it mentioned in the books? Because I do not remember them having the ability to use weapons. Then again now that I think of it, they don't really pose as much as threat as the fear for them would suggest if they were just grabbing at people.

Can someone clear this up for me?

And

the show changes things, have you not noticed?

I too am confused as to how anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention to the show can get the Wights and WW's confused. They look completely different. Though it's possible they simply get confused about what the (admittedly similar.) names are referring to.

Well, many people thought they were attacking the Wall instead of the Fist of the First Men. A lot of people just don't pay much attention, it seems.

Archived