Why did the Wights have weapons?

Conchobar

Why did the wights have weapons in the show? Was it mentioned in the books? Because I do not remember them having the ability to use weapons. Then again now that I think of it, they don't really pose as much as threat as the fear for them would suggest if they were just grabbing at people.

Can someone clear this up for me?

And

George has left out a ton of things about the Others and the wights, like who really the hell are The Others, why do they want the south?

Filling in details about the wights on the show is kind of helpful, I doubt GRRM has any objection.

I always got the impression that the Wights were being controlled by an Other. Either as an individual like the one who attacked the Old bear or as a horde. So the Wight are just animated corpses, like puppets rather than mindless animals like film zombies are. So they can use weapons if they were carrying them before they died.

what the hell? yes they have weapons, or they do in the prologue to A Game of Thrones so I dont know why they wouldnt have it at the fist.

You are mixing up wights with the others, I am talking about the "zombies". And no, the wight in at the beginning of the show did not have a weapon.

You are mixing up wights with the others, I am talking about the "zombies". And no, the wight in at the beginning of the show did not have a weapon.

As far as one can tell books and the show, 'wights' and 'zombies' are one in same.

Seems I remember the Other , first episode, the 'Other' did have some kind of sword, didn't he cut a crows head off?

As to why the wights have weapons, seems the burden of proof is on the poser to explain why not.

One obvious explanation is that it might be somewhat difficult to show wights killing people with their bare hands--they managed to show that the wights are superhumanly strong when one lifted Jon Snow up and was choking him in the first season, but it might be difficult for them to figure out how to show one snapping someone's neck, for instance, as happens in the book at one point. Of course, they haven't had a lot of problem with showing various deaths so far, so I'm going to go with another reason for why some have weapons: Martin never specifically says they CAN'T, and whoever directed episode 210 thought they should carry weapons. And indeed, if characters like

Coldhands

can use weapons or other tools, why not wights?

One obvious explanation is that it might be somewhat difficult to show wights killing people with their bare hands--they managed to show that the wights are superhumanly strong when one lifted Jon Snow up and was choking him in the first season, but it might be difficult for them to figure out how to show one snapping someone's neck, for instance, as happens in the book at one point. Of course, they haven't had a lot of problem with showing various deaths so far, so I'm going to go with another reason for why some have weapons: Martin never specifically says they CAN'T, and whoever directed episode 210 thought they should carry weapons. And indeed, if characters like

Coldhands

can use weapons or other tools, why not wights?

Somehow, when reading the books I always thought the wights that attacked the Fist must have had weapons... I don't know why, I probably figured they wouldn't be much of a thread otherwise... It's not like they bite and get you infected with a zombie virus. Wasn't there an undead bear involved though? Would be cool if that was put in the show, they filmed with a bear for the Harrenhal pit scene anyway...

About the wight/others confusion: were the large guys in the dark ever clearly connected to the white aliens on undead horses? Non-bookreaders might easily see them as two seperate threads, because white guys are with zombies=superzombie, and large guys in woods don't look white=babysnatchers?

I do remember blue eyes being visible for a second in s2e1, but that's about it right?

I do remember blue eyes being visible for a second in s2e1, but that's about it right?

Yes, but I only noticed that after seeing Ep20.

These are not Zombies, they are Wights... and I don't feel qualified to speculate further on what they can or can't do.

One thing I hesitate to even think about; what use they might be making of the live babies left for them by that insane scumbag back at his "Keep".

Leaving that guy alive could be the doom of the Knight's Watch.

• 4 weeks later...

They use weapons in the book.

The other wight, the one-handed thing that had once been a ranger named Jafer Flowers, had also been destroyed, cut near to pieces by a dozen swords … but not before it had slain Ser Jaremy Rykker and four other men. Ser Jaremy had finished the job of hacking its head off, yet had died all the same when the headless corpse pulled his own dagger from its sheath and buried it in his bowels. Strength and courage did not avail much against foemen who would not fall because they were already dead; even arms and armor offered small protection.

Yes, but I only noticed that after seeing Ep20.

These are not Zombies, they are Wights... and I don't feel qualified to speculate further on what they can or can't do.

One thing I hesitate to even think about; what use they might be making of the live babies left for them by that insane scumbag back at his "Keep".

Leaving that guy alive could be the doom of the Knight's Watch.

You know that the zombies are the wights?

And that the Others are the white walkers?

I really like that they use weapons and the one's on the horse's looked smarter than a regular zombie

That's because he is a White Walker not a wight. And White Walkers use weapons. In the prologue of the first book the White Walker kills Royce (I believe) with a very sharp sword made from crystal

Archived