Do People Stop Reading After a Sad Shocking Event?

TalalOfDorne

I am talking about something permanent and not something like taking a break. So do any of you know people who just stopped reading the books after certain events (Neds death, The Red Wedding). And how frequent is it?

I know someone who stopped watching the show (The books aren't popular in my country) after Neds death calling it a stupid ending. So I was just wondering if people getting fed up with the story is a common thing.

And is there anything that would make you stop reading the books ? :P

I stopped reading for 3 months after the RW. Funny thing about people who were upset by Ned getting killed in the show is that they were pissed at something written in 1996. I was 5 years old at the time, I read somewhere that fans of the show said Ned was killed because of a contract dispute?!?!? I think if you have gotten this far there is not much that will stop you from reading the series.

My longest break was rereading the paragraph, slamming the book, and lighting a cigarette after the Red Wedding.

I really like how Martin surprises me (in a positive or negative way, mostly negative as you can imagine), and I just know that this thing was something that will make the story better. Some people view the books as a sports game and get desperate and depressed if "their team loses", but for me this is by far the largest part of the fun.

Call me cold hearted if you will :)

I would never stop reading the series but there was a moment in the books (and funny enough I can't even remember it now) where I took a few months break and then went back to it full force. I think it was just emotionally draining me at the time (and I do enough of that to myself as it is :lol:)

I did not stop. Not even after RW. I just wanted to see the next Arya chapter then cause she was already in Riverrun.

My best friend for life and forever could not even get past episode 6 of season 2. She doesn't think it's that good and only stays for the eye candies (Robb, Jon etc). She won't touch the books either. It was a realization for me how much divergent our tastes have become :P

My other close friend, however, did not put the books down even after RW. That one's as addicted as me. Aside from them I don't know anyone close to me who are fans of the books/shows or at least tried, so I can't say for sure. My mom and my old school friends don't count.

If anything, a shocking event makes me want to read all the more. Once I'm done with a particular book or series however, I have a hard time starting up a new read right away...

Haha same as me, I only noticed after reading your post that once i finish a book, I usually don't start a next one until a month or two passes.

If anything, a shocking event makes me want to read all the more. Once I'm done with a particular book or series however, I have a hard time starting up a new read right away...

This happens to me when a book I read is very good. I want some time off to think about what I read.

Out of everyone I know in real life, ya'll don't count, I am the only person who reads this series. No one watches the show either. I can't really judge what others reaction have been to this particular series.

My mom has stopped reading other series before because of events that have happened. I am currently pressuring her now to begin reading. I know she'll eventually cave. I got her into Harry Potter, True Blood show and books, and most recently The Walking Dead show and comics. She is now a pretty big Doctor Who fan as well. I feel confident that I will bring her to Westeros. I've avoided giving her too much information just so that I can see her reactions to the big stuff.

I myself threw Tess of the D'Urbervilles across the room, while cussing and screaming. It remained there for over a month. Sometimes I would kick it out of my way, other times just step right on it as I passed. I never read another book by the author again. I chose another novel that night for my Lit. class. I refused to do any additional work on the book.

I don't know why I had such an adverse reaction to the book. Must have been the teenage hormones.

Naaah. My rest from the RW was one day or less. Read the Davos and Tyrion chapters next very slow, though.

The biggest one was the first time I read AGOT, it took me four months to finish that book. I got bored with the Catelyn chapters. -.-

My only thing is that I read for fun. If he kills all the folks I like, it will make an otherwise fun series gimmicky. Sure it's more like "real life" but if I wanted sad real life I would read about Rwanda.

That said, I'm holding out hope he doesn't kill all my favorites off. I'll feel cheated. But, I'm weird that way. I have sworn I'd stop reading several times, but always come back...,

Archived