Do People Stop Reading After a Sad Shocking Event?

TalalOfDorne

Shocking events or sad things in a good book won't stop me reading it. I mean that is ridiculous. Would you stop reading a book, because something happens that you don't like? I would never ever finish a single book. I only stop reading a book if it bores the hell out of me. I mean seriously, you don't stop reading a bedtime story to your kids either, only because a puppy dies or something. That's just so unthinkable to me. Even if the book ends with the exact things I don't want to happen, I'll keep reading. Then, I'll rage for a day, sell my books and end of story.

Exactly, I am completely and genuinely baffled by people who are saying will quit if somebody dies.

It's just the opposite when I'm reading my bathroom books. Shocking events are the only times I don't stop reading when I flush. That's the only time when something's interesting enough to keep on reading. Otherwise, with a non-shocking chapter, it's preferable to stop reading as soon as I can so as to get the hell out of the stench zone. Haven't ever used George as a toilet book, though. Too heavy in hardback to prop up at a toilet-reading angle? And too long of a read, too, so it'd become waaaaaay contaminated with fecal matter just as an inevitable consequence of entertaining me through dozens and dozens of bathroom visits. Yeah, it's best to read shorter books on the toilet, romance or sci-fi, something that'll enrage your bowels enough to really put the pedal down and hammer out that dump. And there's this real old David Letterman bathroom book of Top 10 lists that's there as a backup in case of an emergency like when there's nothing else to read in the bathroom because the previous bathroom book has just been finished up. So in short, no I don't stop reading after a shocking event, and neither do you because you're still reading this.

I don't know anyone who has stopped reading these. I do have some friends who are struggling through them, but haven't given up yet. I obviously continued on. I did put the book down and finish the rest later the next day after Jon's last chapter of ADWD. I was too emotionally drained.

The only time I've given up on a fictional book is if it's boring or gets stupid.

It's just the opposite with my bathroom book. Shocking events in that book are the only times I don't stop reading when I flush. That's the only time when something's interesting enough to keep on reading. Otherwise, with a non-shocking chapter, it's preferable to stop reading as soon as I can so as to get the hell out of the stench zone. Haven't ever used George as a toilet book, though. Too heavy in hardback to prop up at a toilet-reading angle? And too long of a read, too, so it'd become waaaaaay contaminated with fecal matter just as a consequence of entertaining me through dozens and dozens of bathroom visits. Yeah, it's best to read shorter romance or sci-fi on the toilet, something that'll enrage you enough to really put the pedal down and hammer out that dump. And there's this real old David Letterman bathroom book of Top 10 lists that's there as a backup in case of an emergency like when there's nothing else to read in the bathroom because the previous bathroom book has just been finished up. So in short, no I don't stop reading after a shocking event, and neither do you because you're still reading this.

:lmao:

Now i really miss the like button

The only time I ever considered not to keep on reading was after Jon's last chapter in ADwD. I actuall closed the book, put it on the bedside table, and then kicked the blanket as if it was its fault... Then I cursed because I had no clue on which page I had been on... All the while my husband was having a ball watching me... after that he started to read the books, too, because I reacted so emotionally to them and that got him curious.

From all the people I know reading the books, none of them actually stopped reading the books altogether because of some part of the plot and I doubt that any of them would... (Then again, mathematicians aren't that good of a representative sample...)

Shocking events or sad things in a good book won't stop me reading it. I mean that is ridiculous. Would you stop reading a book, because something happens that you don't like? I would never ever finish a single book. I only stop reading a book if it bores the hell out of me. I mean seriously, you don't stop reading a bedtime story to your kids either, only because a puppy dies or something. That's just so unthinkable to me. Even if the book ends with the exact things I don't want to happen, I'll keep reading. Then, I'll rage for a day, sell my books and end of story.

I stop reading books if I find something too traumatising or if I really hate the author's tone-I read for fun, for my own pleasure and not to be mentally disturbed after all.

I do this for television shows as well-I gave up on Buff (because Xander) and Mad Men because I was spending more time fuming at the show rather than enjoying it.

Like WK, I read for pleasure. If I don't like something, I won't finish it. I don't know anyone who has finished every single book they have ever picked up. And yes, when my nieces or nephews don't like their bedtime stories, I put it away and get a new one. Reading isn't a punishment.

It's just the opposite when I'm reading my bathroom books. Shocking events are the only times I don't stop reading when I flush. <snip> neither do you because you're still reading this.

This is pretty much the only reason I came to read this thread. :)

Yeah, i totally stopped reading after Sir Kevan was murdered by Varys, i just couldn't keep on... oh, wait.

Great answer XD

Shocking or sad events won't stop me from reading, actually Neds ejecution is what really made me a fan of ASOIAF, and after the RW I just couldn't stop reading, the last half of ASOS is sooo good, shocking event after another. I will only stop reading a book if it become too boring (or stupid) so unless George start killing all POV until only Dany, Aeron and Areo stands, I won't stop lol.

But I have fate in GRRM, he won't disapoint us, no matter what I have to know how it ends.

I only know 1 person who read the books, but she didn't get to the RW yet, hope she won't stop cause I'll have no one to talk about about ASOIAF then

Exactly, I am completely and genuinely baffled by people who are saying will quit if somebody dies.

I haven't read a single book in which no characters died at all...

I stop reading books if I find something too traumatising or if I really hate the author's tone-I read for fun, for my own pleasure and not to be mentally disturbed after all.

I do this for television shows as well-I gave up on Buff (because Xander) and Mad Men because I was spending more time fuming at the show rather than enjoying it.

Well, obviously if you don't like something, you will stop reading. What I meant was that if you like a story, like most people like ASOIAF on this forum, you'll not stop reading, only because something disturbing or sad happens. If you decide after an event that Hey, I don't like this, why would anybody force you to go on? But then, you'll probably not be an XY story fan foruming around and stuff, because you didn't like the thing. I had the impression, and maybe I was mistaken, that the thread is about people stopping reading ASOIAF if something bad happens and take a months' break or so... Again, maybe it was me who misunderstood it (boy, I'm in such a peaceful mood today :drunk: )

Like WK, I read for pleasure. If I don't like something, I won't finish it. I don't know anyone who has finished every single book they have ever picked up. And yes, when my nieces or nephews don't like their bedtime stories, I put it away and get a new one. Reading isn't a punishment.

This is pretty much the only reason I came to read this thread. :)

Again, who said it was a punishment? But if you like something, you won't stop reading, and I still think that's what we are talking about because whoever is on this forum can rightly be considered an ASOIAF fan, no? So if your niece and nephew are fans of Snow White (god, your poor nephew now surely shot angry look at me - my cousin would not abide being accused of liking girly stories, at least) they'll probably don't ask you to stop reading only because Snow White 'dies'... I never said you need to read everything you don't like, only because you started it. And I did say I stopped reading books too, because they were boring and I didn't like them. But obviously I did not become a fan of them later on.

Archived