[Book spoilers] Talisa Maegyr or Talisa Westerling

Warrior Queen

Why change her name tho? I get Osha n Asha so ppl don't get confused, maybe they don't want another Jayne since they'll introduce Jayne Poole soon. But they could have changed only her first name, it would have been better to see the reaction of robb's supporters after he marries a girl whose house is pledged to tywin lannister. But if she's not a spy then they must have something more for her in mind then what we've seen so far in the books.

Her name was originally going to be Jeyne. Martin said that Jeyne didn't sound like a name from Volantis so he suggested Talisa.

In the books Tywin grabs at an opportunity that presented itself after Robb tried to be honorable like his daddy. Turning it to an elaborate long con that had less than 1% chance of success is just ridiculous and does not even make sense. That's beside the fact that the show would look sexist and cliche with the sneaky spy slut moonlighting as a kind and caring nurse.

Okay so this is a tad off topic but I'm wondering if its just me. After last weeks scene with Talisa and the Lannister boys I've come to the realization that she always kind of comes off as a b*tch. I mean.. I don't know, just the way she was acting towards them and then when I think of season two and how she acted, most of the time, towards Robb kind of makes me think this. I don't know if it's me though. (And in no way does this have to do with my hating Talisa because I never truly thought this until the most recent episode aired.) Is the actress meaning for her to come off this way? Because I'm doubtful since the character is so 'kind' and 'caring'. Please don't rip my head off for this anyone, I'm just honestly wondering this now and if anyone else has thought this too.

Admittedly I never liked her for barging into tents seeing as she had no right and it wasn't her place to do so and I hated her 'talking back' and I called her every name under the sun probably lol, so I guess I might be just now noticing her actual personality what with the new season starting. I don't know. But this does have me wondering.. Well at any rate it's enough to make me doubtful of this whole 'true love' story and they might make a horrible spin into the cliche spy route. (Not that she isn't already cliche IMO, but it would just make her more so.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I absolutely hated Jeyne in the books.. she just seemed like a stupid little girl, and marrying her just made Robb look stupid. While Talissa is an interesting woman (and connects westeros and essos, since the only thing of essos we have really seen is Dany i figured they just used Talissa as a connector between two 'worlds') and to me Talisa seems like a woman worth fighting for, and in the show Robb married for true love, not just for some stupid mistake.

But if Talisa turns out to be a Westering, this would just made her a scheming b*tch! I'd still like her better than Jeyne, but it would mean that she probably is a Lannister spie.

This are the pages/pictures:

As u can see she is now listed as Talisa Maegyr

https://www.facebook...&type=3

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones

Marrying Talisa makes Robb look even stupider.

I hate to tell you this, but Robb marrying for rectifying a mistake is FAR better than marrying for love, considering he was in the middle of a war. The North follows Robb because he holds true to his father's sense of honor and duty (even if it fucks him over in the end). I see absolutely NO reason why anyone in the North would follow Robb after he put them in terrible peril solely because he fell in puppy love.

Marrying Jeyne was the only way to salvage his honor (and hers) after his moment of weakness, and he is forced to make a difficult choice after his indiscretion concerning which path he should take. Marrying Talisa 'cuz of boobies is the act of an idiotic teenage boy not fit to be Lord let alone King.

I hate to tell you this, but Robb marrying for rectifying a mistake is FAR better than marrying for love, considering he was in the middle of a war. The North follows Robb because he holds true to his father's sense of honor and duty (even if it fucks him over in the end). I see absolutely NO reason why anyone in the North would follow Robb after he put them in terrible peril solely because he fell in puppy love.

Marrying Jeyne was the only way to salvage his honor (and hers) after his moment of weakness, and he is forced to make a difficult choice after his indiscretion concerning which path he should take. Marrying Talisa 'cuz of boobies is the act of an idiotic teenage boy not fit to be Lord let alone King.

I agree. The whole 'Talisa' character just annoys me. It's not just that it changed the original story, it doesn't make sense! And it makes Rob look really really stupid.

So, marrying after a one-night stand is more "normal" than a marriage made out of love in a time of grief over losing his father? In the books, Robb put the whole of the north in danger because of a one-night stand brought on by grief over losing his father. Jeyne's storyline could make more sense in a medieval sense , but I think the show-runners have cleverly adapted this detail to perhaps appeal more to TV audiences? For me, I liked Talisa and Oona Chaplin's portrayal of her (I know I'm in a minority here).

I think they are both very, very stupid moves and complaining one is stupider than the other is like complaining that in one version Aerion Brightflame drank more wildfire than in the other. The amount of stupidity in just breaking a betrothal to the Frey's for any reason (other than a better alliance) is so great that said reason for doing so does nothing to exacerbate or mitigate the stupidity.

So, marrying after a one-night stand is more "normal" than a marriage made out of love in a time of grief over losing his father? In the books, Robb put the whole of the north in danger because of a one-night stand brought on by grief over losing his father. Jeyne's storyline could make more sense in a medieval sense , but I think the show-runners have cleverly adapted this detail to perhaps appeal more to TV audiences? For me, I liked Talisa and Oona Chaplin's portrayal of her (I know I'm in a minority here).

I don't think you understand the point of what was said. (And what's been the complaint over this whole Talisa thing that's been beaten like a dead horse over and over again.) Personally my grief isn't that they wanted to add love to the whole thing. (Even though I think Robb and Jeyne came to love each other whether it was before or after learning of his brothers deaths.) The point a lot of people don't like is that marrying that annoying girl in the show out of love and just for love is not really a Stark trait. He married Jeyne to preserve her honor. I have no problem if love is added on top of wanting to keep a girls honor, but without it Robb just looks more selfish in the show. He just wanted her because she was pretty IMO. With Jeyne his reasons were more selfless which IMO is taking after his father and in the show it seems he's shunning everything that made him a Stark and his fathers son.

Aside from that I don't see the point in changing the whole entire character. Sure add love, but why a whole new character? They could have still had Jeyne but vamped up/tweaked a little to add more love/romance. One reviewer I like to watch who has read the books made a very good point that I whole heatedly agree with. I don't mind changes, I like some of the changes they've done, (Arya/Tywin scenes) or even Tywin and Oolenna scenes. I like changes when they are done well. But this change in making Talisa was not done very well. The writing is horrible and the actress is horrible. (Yes I know she was given horrible writing but she hasn't added much to make it better.)

I think they are both very, very stupid moves and complaining one is stupider than the other is like complaining that in one version Aerion Brightflame drank more wildfire than in the other. The amount of stupidity in just breaking a betrothal to the Frey's for any reason (other than a better alliance) is so great that said reason for doing so does nothing to exacerbate or mitigate the stupidity.

I agree. Just wanted to add it is stupid without Frey alliance or with Frey alliance. Marriage is this world is for life. Think twice before you marry someone.

I agree. Just wanted to add it is stupid without Frey alliance or with Frey alliance. Marriage is this world is for life. Think twice before you marry someone.

I agree they're both stupid as well. My only thing is I think the show reason only for love is less of a Stark trait. But that's just my opinion. Either way the RW will still happen. (Though I'm so annoyed Talisa will be in that. Why have her there unless she's a spy?) And if she's a spy that would make the already horrible writing of this arc worse....

I dont think TV watchers give one lick about the circumstances under which Robb marries Talisa. It's really not even important after they initially meet. Whether that was on a battlefield or a captured castle

I dont think TV watchers give one lick about the circumstances under which Robb marries Talisa. It's really not even important after they initially meet. Whether that was on a battlefield or a captured castle

True, but I've met many just Tv viewers who don't like her/think she's out of place. I think that kind of shows the writers didn't do a good job with her if even people who haven't read the books thinks she looks to modern for the world.

I support the spy idea, if only because her current back-story borders on nonsensical (you seriously expect me to buy that, for apparently years, she's just been randomly traveling around battlefields hacking off peoples limbs?)

I think that Robb made a mistake putting an alliance in jeopardy for a girl. There were other ways to solve the problem of that momentary weakness, as have already been stated. D&D made a horrible mistake with Talisa. She is just. Awful. Hopefully they will have her killed off because she just needs to go away and be forgotten. They have two episodes to fix the storyline that they have derailed or I worry episode 9 will have little sympathetic impact for me. Epidsode 5 was great. Cogman needs to write more episodes. He is more or less actually adapting the story.

I think that Robb made a mistake putting an alliance in jeopardy for a girl. There were other ways to solve the problem of that momentary weakness, as have already been stated. D&D made a horrible mistake with Talisa. She is just. Awful. Hopefully they will have her killed off because she just needs to go away and be forgotten. They have two episodes to fix the storyline that they have derailed or I worry episode 9 will have little sympathetic impact for me. Epidsode 5 was great. Cogman needs to write more episodes. He is more or less actually adapting the story.

I agree. I seriously doubt they're going to fix anything about the arc though. There's a love scene coming up but that's not going to do anything for me as far as getting on board with liking Talisa. The thing that seriously grits my teeth about her is she thinks to modern for the times. For one, what's the point in maesters if there's battle nurses running around? Do women in volantis actually know extensive medical knowledge? (I haven't read the fifth book. But I know basically what happens so I won't be spoiled by anything.) But the one thing I serious hate was that scene where she told Robb she hadn't seen herself marrying anyone. Seriously??. I can NOT seen any woman thinking like that except Breenie and Arya and maybe Asha. I don't care if your from Westeros or not, your a freaking idiot to think 'Oh I'm never going to marry anyone'. That set me over the edge for hating her. Sorry, end rant.

Archived