Finding bits of LOTR influences in ASOIAF

Fire Eater

I miss the like button so much. Excellent post!

Thanks!

Seriously, Tolkein is so under-appreciated, or appreciated in shallow ways. There are so many levels to LOTR and the Hobbit. Like, he writes a great story on one level, makes incredibly sophisticated observations about the nature of evil, temptation and goodness, and on another level makes academic arguments about how the English language has grown and what it's roots might have been and what it could be now if the Norman invasion hadn't happened. THen there is his brilliant satire of pretentious Victorian/Edwardian middle-class people who wanted to drag french into everything where it was utterly inappropriate in order to make themselves seem smarter and more cultured.

Maeglin is the elf who wants to rape his sister or something, isn't he?

His cousin, and he betrays the city of Gondolin to Morgoth to get his chance on her.

Had Martin written LOTR, I don't doubt that he'd have had Aragorn, Eomer, Gandalf massacring Sauron's men when their blood was up.

Of course, in the Battle of Pelennor Fields, Aragorn, Eomer, and Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth attack Sauron's forces from three sides, push them up against banks of the Anduin, and slaughter them to the last man, the Haradrim never asking for quarter.

Nope, he's the one who betrays Gondolin's location to Morgoth.

EDIT: Wait, he actually raped Idril? I don't recall that :o

I don't know if he actually did, but he was promised her for betraying the location of Gondolin. As you know, Morgoth was not the most trustworthy of fellows, so he may not have gotten what he bargained for.

Nope, he's the one who betrays Gondolin's location to Morgoth.

EDIT: Wait, he actually raped Idril? I don't recall that :o

No he didn't but he tried to kill Earendil.

edit

You know, I think Nirnaeth Arnoediad is the only thing in literature which has made me angrier than the Red Wedding.

:agree: this and the Fate of the House of Finwe

Don't know if this has been mentioned, so please feel free to scold me if it has. ^_^

The Tyrells are originally the stewards of Highgarden but become it's lords once the Gardner line dies out, similar to how the stewards of Gondor takes the place of the royal family when they disappear into exile.

I don't know if he actually did, but he was promised her for betraying the location of Gondolin. As you know, Morgoth was not the most trustworthy of fellows, so he may not have gotten what he bargained for.

Well if it's just that than I'm guessing the answer is no. Right after Gondolin's fall, Maeglin dies and Idril escapes with Tuor and the refugees to live a happy everafter life (or something like it).

Well if it's just that than I'm guessing the answer is no. Right after Gondolin's fall, Maeglin dies and Idril escapes with Tuor and the refugees to live a happy everafter life (or something like it).

I don't think that abandoning your son is *a happy everafter life*

I don't think that abandoning your son is *a happy everafter life*

eheh as you may have noticed, I don't exactly recall her life but I know that she survived and went back to Valinor, her people survived and lived on, inhabitting southern (relatively to Beleriand) Middle-earth and Morgoth was defeated, so yeah it wasn't that bad!

Archived