Finding bits of LOTR influences in ASOIAF

Fire Eater

If the Others are First Men, then it would be similar to the Orcs, as the Orcs were once elves, tortured and mutilated by Morgoth. So the Others could be similar to this if they were once First Men turned into Others by ice magic.

Wouldn't CotF make the better equivalent to Elves, as they are a magical people, with prolonged lives who are dwindling, and furthermore the Others don't appear in huge numbers as the Orks do.

Wouldn't CotF make the better equivalent to Elves, as they are a magical people, with prolonged lives who are dwindling, and furthermore the Others don't appear in huge numbers as the Orks do.

You could say they are the elves in ASOIAF (for now), but I think that, if the Others were once First Men, or maybe even COTF, and were turned into Others by ice magic, it would have some similarties between how Orcs first came into being.

You could say they are the elves in ASOIAF (for now), but I think that, if the Others were once First Men, or maybe even COTF, and were turned into Others by ice magic, it would have some similarties between how Orcs first came into being.

yes, and that would endorse the elves-parallel ;)

To add to the Huan parallel for Ghost, Huan helped Lúthien escape her imprisonment and lead her to the man she loved, Beren who had been sent to his death. Lúthien then sang a song that resulted in Beren being brought back to life.

While Jon is in Ghost, Ghost may help Val escape Hardin's Tower and lead her to Jon's body, when he is considered dead. She may sing him a song, during which BranRaven helps a comatose Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

"Look for me [Val] on the first day of the full moon."

Gandalf the White: "Look for me In Erodas, ere the waning of the moon!"

Val is also dressed in white like Gandalf in the Two Towers, a reference to her possible skills?

"Look for me [Val] on the first day of the full moon."

Gandalf the White: "Look for me In Erodas, ere the waning of the moon!"

Val is also dressed in white like Gandalf in the Two Towers, a reference to her possible skills?

Mother of God.

Jon knocks on Val's door with a bottle of wine in hand in a totally pervy mood.

Val slams a wooden staff on the ground and yells at the top of her voice - "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!!!"

• 4 weeks later...

- Riverrun/River Running

- Tyrion, the dwarf / hobbits, the small folk

- wights in the north/ wights of the Barrow Downs

- barrow lands of the first men / Barrow Downs

- Others / Nazgul

- Valyrian steel / Elvish steel

- Dragons / dragons

- ravens / ravens (in the Hobbit)

- wildfire / wizard's fire

- Mr. Underhill (fake name Frodo gives himself in the Fellowship) / Hugor Hill (fake name Tyrion gives himself)

starting a list if anybody wants to add to it.

- Riverrun/River Running

- Tyrion, the dwarf / hobbits, the small folk

- wights in the north/ wights of the Barrow Downs

- barrow lands of the first men / Barrow Downs

- Others / Nazgul

- Valyrian steel / Elvish steel

- Dragons / dragons

- ravens / ravens (in the Hobbit)

- wildfire / wizard's fire

- Mr. Underhill (fake name Frodo gives himself in the Fellowship) / Hugor Hill (fake name Tyrion gives himself)

starting a list if anybody wants to add to it.

First men-Noldor

Numenor-Valyria

Bran-Frodo

Aragorn-Jon

The most obvious and undisputable has to be:

Valyria = Numenor

Glass Candles = Palantiri

I think that there is a lot of potential for theories based on conclusions from this parallel.

I would disagree with the numerous claims of Aragorn=Jon, because it's essential to Aragorns character, that he grew up with the knowledge of his heritage all his life, therefore living in conflict between what his current state and his potential, and this conflict gets resolved in him accepting his "destiny" if you will, while Jon remains totally unaware.

Wouldn't First Men actually be the Edain?

I thing that FM because of their complexion, of the their arrival to Westeros and because of the wisdom that they brought with them that they are more like Noldor than Edain.

I would disagree with the numerous claims of Aragorn=Jon, because it's essential to Aragorns character, that he grew up with the knowledge of his heritage all his life

I don't think that this is right. Aragorn learnt the truth about his heritage when he was 20 years old.

I thing that FM because of their complexion, of the their arrival to Westeros and because of the wisdom that they brought with them that they are more like Noldor than Edain.

And the CotF would be the Sindar then?

I don't think that this is right. Aragorn learnt the truth about his heritage when he was 20 years old.

Not to mention that he found out that the most beautiful woman in the world is his relative :P

Arwen was :-) And, since Arwen was Lúthien come back, she tops Galadriel (though Gimli would disagree, of course).

I know, I tried to make a joke...Truth be told, I am suspicious about all this most-beautiful-woman-in-the-world. For example for me Aredhel sounds better than Luthien like Val sound better than Dany.

Archived