The Winds of Winter Prologue

All the prologues so far have shared one thing, the fact that they have a direct connection to an event that takes place within the first half of the book, GOT - wight walkers = eddard beheading deserter. COK - Cressen = Melisandres sorcery at storms end. SOS - Chett = the event on the fist of the first men. AFFC - Pate = Samwell making his way to oldtown (I guess except this one).

ADWD - Varamyr = Bran/Summer making the wolves his pack.

Ι agree with your point: I think that the prologues give us eyes in a (usu. new) place and provide a hint for things to come. Esp in the last two books, which I think is how GRRM will continue. The prologue is a clue. Sometimes it's not even clear: I am not sure that Varamyr's purpose was about Bran/ Summer's pack. More like about giving us info on warging. Pate's purpose, IMO, was to reveal to us, when Sam got to Oldtown, that a FM is in their midst.

So my guesses are:

1. North of the Wall: Hardhome or even further north - an event that might have something to do with the WW and will pertain to the story later on.

2. Skagos: maybe something to do with Rickon, or the Skagos culture that will influence Rickon's plot development later on.

3. (and this is my favourite) Oldtown: IRRC there were Maesters that were against magic. I imagine a POV that describes actions against magic that will eventually affect the dragons and Dany and stuff. Like secret councils and intrigue and plotting.

Highgarden is also possible I guess.

So my guesses are:

1. North of the Wall: Hardhome or even further north - an event that might have something to do with the WW and will pertain to the story later on.

2. Skagos: maybe something to do with Rickon, or the Skagos culture that will influence Rickon's plot development later on.

3. (and this is my favourite) Oldtown: IRRC there were Maesters that were against magic. I imagine a POV that describes actions against magic that will eventually affect the dragons and Dany and stuff. Like secret councils and intrigue and plotting.

Highgarden is also possible I guess.

I like Skagos and Highgarden as options. But as for north of the Wall or Oldtown, we've already had prologues there, and I don't see a repeat. Who knows, though?

My guess is something in Braavos.

In Arya's last chapter in ADWD, the kindly man says something about sending her to train with Izembaro. I bet we get a POV from someone who not only sees Justin Massey arrive in Braavos, but then gets whacked by Arya, to show us her progression as an FM. I hope the next book sees her return (with Massey??) to Westeros!!

How I wish it would be Rhaegar riding to his death at the Trident! But it's unlikely, and even if it were to be, it would be in A Dream of Spring.

I think it could be the Blackfish, as we haven't heard of him in a while. Him meeting his death by stumbling upon something game-changing. More likely it would be Willas or another at the destruction of Highgarden. Bringing down a beautiful springtime city would set the tone for the rest of the book, wouldn't it?

The most disposable characters at this point are probably Jojen and Doran Martell, though the latter may conflict with the preview Arianne chapters I've not read yet. One of the named wildlings at The Wall is pretty likely, in order to set up the Jon reappearance if he isn't permanently dead. I think that Martin may have to go back on his statement and introduce some Sand Snake POVs, if only for a few chapters, since Arianne is the only proactive POV so far at Dorne. Lord Spark - To answer your question, Robert Strong would turn on Cersei. Maybe that's how it pans out.

What if the Theon preview chapter is the prologue.

Theon doesn't die in the cpater true, but then again neither did Chett, he just showed up dead later and we are left to infer. So I suspect that the Theon chapter is the prologue and the next time we see him is the scene in which he is executed in front of the Weirwood, probably through an Asha POV.

Prologue

Bloodraven closed his flesh eye and opened his third one to focus on this, his final task. The decades of planning, the work of his extensive lifetime was coming down to this moment.

He looked up to the sky, up and up past the clouds, into the realms of the sun and moon, and there he saw the red comet. It had flown close, so very close to the sun, it was a miracle it hadn’t burnt up. Instead, the pull of the Sun had whipped the comet around and sent it back where it came from.

It was visible to the eyes of Westeros, but not recognizable. The long red tail now extended directly behind it, as the comet blazed its way directly towards the Isle of Faces. With it came the promise of extinction for all.

Bloodraven tensed as all the power of the Old Gods began to surge through him. There was great power in the gods of old, power that had shattered the Stepstones and had almost severed the North from the South. Power that had destroyed Hardhome when its growth had threatened the last wild refuge of the Children. Power that had brought the Doom to Valyria when the god of fire had become too powerful.

Now that power surged inside of Bloodraven’s veins and the roots of the great weirwood. He could feel the terrible power emanating from the boy next to him, but he must be careful not to use him up: the boy needed to live to fight again. Not so for Bryden Rivers. He poured out his heart, soul, and life into the weirwood, and felt his powers joined by every greenseer in Westeros. Their energies raced up the roots into the trunk of the mighty tree and exploded out from the branches.

The erupting fireball lit the surrounding woods like the noonday sun. Wights melted to liquid and frozen trees were left charred black. Up the fireball shot, gaining momentum with each moment.

Throughout Westeros, heads turned upwards to watch as two trails of clouds raced towards one another. In silence they met and created a flash of light that forced the watchers to turn away. A few heartbeats later, the sound arrived with a shockwave so powerful that only the stoutest stone keeps were safe. Huts collapsed, inns trembled, and tall towers swayed perilously.

Bloodraven looked up and rejoiced, for the comet had been smashed asunder. Huge fragments of rock still hurtled downward, but the destruction would now be local instead of worldwide. The fireball had hit the comet from the north and shifted the comet’s momentum southward.

Huge flaming rocks rained down upon Dorne. Bloodraven watched as the castles of Yronwood, Drinkwater, and Wells were smashed. He chucked at the irony of Starfell’s destruction, killing Darkstar, Areo Hotah, and both their hosts. The Watergardens did not escape, as a fragment the size of an elephant crashed through the roof directly over Doran Martell, killing the prince instantly. The boneway was hit as well, killing off the sandsnakes on their way to King’s Landing and Arianne traveling to Storm’s End.

Bloodraven relaxed his weary bones and closed his third eye. He smiled. His mission, and his life, were complete. Now Bran could get on with his part in the badass Ice Zombies vs. Dragons finale without any more time wasted on boring, pointless Dornish subplots. Bloodraven breathed his last, finally at peace.

I believe that Arya is going to be sent to kill the high priest of R'hollar as her first faceless man assasination.)

very unlikely. Even if someone would pay for this death. Ayra is way too low profile to be sent for this.

If for some reason benjen has been alive since when he set out, Martin is not going to kill him off immedietly. I'm guessing that the Pov will be coming from somewhere in the reach; highgarden, somewhere along the Mander, Oldtown, and Hardhome. My bets are on either Oldtown or Highgarden, most likely Highgarden.

Prologue

Bloodraven closed his flesh eye and opened his third one to focus on this, his final task. The decades of planning, the work of his extensive lifetime was coming down to this moment.

He looked up to the sky, up and up past the clouds, into the realms of the sun and moon, and there he saw the red comet. It had flown close, so very close to the sun, it was a miracle it hadn’t burnt up. Instead, the pull of the Sun had whipped the comet around and sent it back where it came from.

It was visible to the eyes of Westeros, but not recognizable. The long red tail now extended directly behind it, as the comet blazed its way directly towards the Isle of Faces. With it came the promise of extinction for all.

Bloodraven tensed as all the power of the Old Gods began to surge through him. There was great power in the gods of old, power that had shattered the Stepstones and had almost severed the North from the South. Power that had destroyed Hardhome when its growth had threatened the last wild refuge of the Children. Power that had brought the Doom to Valyria when the god of fire had become too powerful.

Now that power surged inside of Bloodraven’s veins and the roots of the great weirwood. He could feel the terrible power emanating from the boy next to him, but he must be careful not to use him up: the boy needed to live to fight again. Not so for Bryden Rivers. He poured out his heart, soul, and life into the weirwood, and felt his powers joined by every greenseer in Westeros. Their energies raced up the roots into the trunk of the mighty tree and exploded out from the branches.

The erupting fireball lit the surrounding woods like the noonday sun. Wights melted to liquid and frozen trees were left charred black. Up the fireball shot, gaining momentum with each moment.

Throughout Westeros, heads turned upwards to watch as two trails of clouds raced towards one another. In silence they met and created a flash of light that forced the watchers to turn away. A few heartbeats later, the sound arrived with a shockwave so powerful that only the stoutest stone keeps were safe. Huts collapsed, inns trembled, and tall towers swayed perilously.

Bloodraven looked up and rejoiced, for the comet had been smashed asunder. Huge fragments of rock still hurtled downward, but the destruction would now be local instead of worldwide. The fireball had hit the comet from the north and shifted the comet’s momentum southward.

Huge flaming rocks rained down upon Dorne. Bloodraven watched as the castles of Yronwood, Drinkwater, and Wells were smashed. He chucked at the irony of Starfell’s destruction, killing Darkstar, Areo Hotah, and both their hosts. The Watergardens did not escape, as a fragment the size of an elephant crashed through the roof directly over Doran Martell, killing the prince instantly. The boneway was hit as well, killing off the sandsnakes on their way to King’s Landing and Arianne traveling to Storm’s End.

Bloodraven relaxed his weary bones and closed his third eye. He smiled. His mission, and his life, were complete. Now Bran could get on with his part in the badass Ice Zombies vs. Dragons finale without any more time wasted on boring, pointless Dornish subplots. Bloodraven breathed his last, finally at peace.

nehhh i sort of liked the dornish :crying:

Prologue

Bloodraven's last energy traveled to the boy. He opened his third eye to see several fragments hurtling to the Twins. The great stone castle collapsed upon itself. After several moments, Walder Frey crawled out, gaping like a weasel seeing all his kin dead. A low moan escaped his toothless mouth as he realized what had happened. He cursed the Starks, the Tully's, the gods, for all stepping on him. This was supposed to be his moment, his plans were all coming together and somehow they were all dashed to pieces like the remains of Robb Stark's skull after he had severed it. He espied a lone man in the distance. His hair glittered like the sun, but was diminished by the dust that still shrouded the area. He made out another shape next to the man, one that was small in height. "Ser Jaime!" he cried when he realized who it was. "Help me out of here!" Only then did he realize what the shape was next to Jaime. "Robb Stark sends his regards" whispered Jaime gently as Nymeria bounded towards the man as he gaped like a weasel.

• 2 weeks later...

If we follow the pattern of prologues we've gotten so far, the TWOW prologue will be a Maester, in the south and will die via magic. I propose therefore that it will be the Maester at Starfall, witnessing Darkstar attempting to steal Dawn. Attempting being the key word here because I don't think it will be that simple. Dawn is not an inherited blade, it's only passed down to those deemed worthy, and let's be honest here: if this were decided by any human judge, every other generation would see some self-important Lord Dayne claiming himself to be the next Sword of Morning. So I think there's definitely some sort of ritual involved in deciding who is worthy of wielding Dawn and that there may be some magical fallout which will kill Starfall's maester.

If we follow the pattern of prologues we've gotten so far, the TWOW prologue will be a Maester, in the south and will die via magic. I propose therefore that it will be the Maester at Starfall, witnessing Darkstar attempting to steal Dawn. Attempting being the key word here because I don't think it will be that simple. Dawn is not an inherited blade, it's only passed down to those deemed worthy, and let's be honest here: if this were decided by any human judge, every other generation would see some self-important Lord Dayne claiming himself to be the next Sword of Morning. So I think there's definitely some sort of ritual involved in deciding who is worthy of wielding Dawn and that there may be some magical fallout which will kill Starfall's maester.

I've also been thinking that this is likely to occur.

Qyburn makes some sense. We do need insight into what's going on with Robert Strong seeing as that he's about to represent Cersei. I'm guessing he wins, faces whoever the Tyrells have Championing Marge and wins again. Chaos ensues.

I do not think it will be Qyburn. Reason being we the prologue is always someone we do not or hardly know.

More than likely it's someone we've never met, i.e. Varamyr.

Agreed or very minor character.

Willas Tyrell POV, dying in the Ironborn sack and burning of Highgarden.

This is very likely.

But the most likely might be Cotter Pyke at Hardhome attacked by The Others

This is my second choice.

I'm thinking possibly Bowen Marsh. Something about him and the other's who betrayed Jon making further plots and reflecting on their actions, then possibly Jon turning up and annihilating them all.

I think many people would enjoy a Bowen Marsh chapter and would help us understand why he did what he did to Jon.

Also, I think it could be Maester Marwyn. There's alot of info he has about the dragons which would be very important.

Or...I kind of would want to see the showdown between Obara and Darkstar...from the eyes of Darkstar so we can learn more about him and why he attacked Myrcella or instead from Obara and she could be offed at the end of the chapter.

Or.....I've been seeing many posts of people insisting on something involving magic and Lord Leyton and the Mad Maid, or Maester Marwyn as i've mentioned....but what about Quaithe???? We really know nothing of Asshai, nothing of her, and not very much of the dragons. We could learn a great deal just from a prologue with Quaithe.

I would love a sort of replay of the ACOK prologue. The maester at the Twins decides to poison Walder Frey for the good of the realm and because of his violation of guest right. Only Walder doesn't have magic to protect him as Melisandre did. Walder and Maester share poison wine and die together. The dwath of Walder Frey sets in motion the inevitable; the Freys eat their own (figuratively).

Archived