The Winds of Winter Prologue

In ADwD, Kevan was killed in Pycelle's chambers. Kevan noticed a dead Pycelle before he died. Obviously this thought is a bit out of sequence, but only by minutes. Perhaps we'll get a prologue of Pycelle's final moments. His final remembrances could answer much of what transpired during the key events that have so many questions remaining from days all the way back to Aegon.

agreed. WE have a maester, a novice, and now a Grand Maester for even numbers of the books.

The odd number books are NW/north of Wall.

the only one of these that seems plausible at all is jojen.. still i think the POV will be of Osha leading rickon and finally finding davos.

She'd need to die in the process.

As others in this thread have mentioned, the prologue is always used to do the following:

1. Present us a location we'd otherwise not get to see because there's no perspective characters there.
  2. Introduce new plot wrinkles to the story, and dispense a bit of knowledge. We get to SEE things happening, instead of hearing them third-hand and less reliably.
  3. Give us a one-time perspective from a character who's generally new to us. Then kill him or her at the end of the chapter.

Grand Maester Pycelle...This could be a strong possibility...

1. Served 6 kings, starting with Aegon 5, surely knows a great deal about things all over Westeros.

2. Has appeared in all 5 books and we all know he is dead already.

3. Completes the Novice, Maester, Grand Maester triligy for even number books.

She'd need to die in the process.

As others in this thread have mentioned, the prologue is always used to do the following:

1. Present us a location we'd otherwise not get to see because there's no perspective characters there.
  2. Introduce new plot wrinkles to the story, and dispense a bit of knowledge. We get to SEE things happening, instead of hearing them third-hand and less reliably.
  3. Give us a one-time perspective from a character who's generally new to us. Then kill him or her at the end of the chapter.

I think oshas usefullness in the story arc has played out.. it would be fitting for her to sacrifice herself to get rickon to davos..

Having recently read the last davos chapter i think if there is going to be a prologue in the rickon shakos arc it could be WEX. hi is expendable and i imagine davos would take him with him because he is ironborn and has sailed before. also he is not bad a throwing knives

Possible Winds of Winter Prologues:

A sacrifice at the red temple in Volantis: Shows us what is really up with the Red Priests. (Note: I believe that Arya is going to be sent to kill the high priest of R'hollar as her first faceless man assasination.)

Jojen Reed: We know he is going to die, he pretty much said that his return to Grey Watch tower would be very sad. I don't know what information we could gleen from a POV from Jojen, unless it is an introduction to Howland Reed.

A prisoner of Qyburn: We get an inside look at "Blood Magic" and see what is really going on in the dungeons of king's landing. We could learn that Qyburn may be more loyal to Roose then to Cersei or we could learn that Robert Strong is not as invincable as he appears.

Rhaegar Targaryen: As Rhaegar rides to the Trident and we get an in person account of the most impactful battle of the entire ASOIAF, we learn that Rharger loves Lyanna and we get more hints that R + L = J.

Walder Frey: Being stabbed by Lady Stoneheart, or eaten by a huge direwolf. I don't think we are just going to hear in passing that the lord of the crossing died, I think we are going to see it.

Some nice ideas!

Jojen I think is unlikely, like you said, except about Howland he has already given his knowledge.

Qyburn is the best idea. It would fit the North/Maester alternation, and the insight would be awsome. If the prisoner is a spy who was discoverd from Cersei, we could also learn about some plans of his master, whoever this may be. There are lots of candidates: Dorne, Highgarden, Littlefinger, even Varys...

---

Edit: spelling

I think oshas usefullness in the story arc has played out.. it would be fitting for her to sacrifice herself to get rickon to davos..

I do not have the original source, but it was mentioned some times that GRRM liked her appearance in the TV-Show and planned to extend her role.

OK, maybe he will extend it from simply dissapearing into a heroic death...

Qyburn is the best idea. It would fit the North/Maester alternation, and the insight would be awsome. If the prisoner is a spy who was discoverd from Cersei, we could also learn about some plans of his master, whoever this may be. There are lots of candidates: Dorne, Highgarden, Littlefinger, even Varys...

I can go with him. Maybe we'll learn also the real history/story why his chains were taken away.

I agree with The Iron Suitor.

AGOT: Will, north of the Wall

ACOK: Maester Cressen, Dragonstone

ASOS: Chett, north of the Wall

AFFC: Novice Pate, Oldtown

ADWD: Varamyr, north of the Wall

Following the trend, I'm expecting a southern maester-related prologue. My money is on Maester Colemon in the Eyrie, but it could be almost anyone. Other possibilities: Riverrun or The Twins, with the BWB attacking; Highgarden, we'd finally meet Willas; Storm's End to see how the Golden Company takes it seems like a likely option; etc... I don't think we will see Casterly Rock until Cersei or Tyrion returns home.

I like this trend being illustrated and these ideas. I guess it could also be some nameless maester at the Citadel who figures out that Novice Pate is really Faceless Pate and is, of course, killed for it. This could be a good way for Martin to show us what Faceless Pate is after. Then, of course, if Faceless Pate has gotten what he came for he won't care if it's discovered that he killed someone - he'll be in the wind ;)

Just saying, the prologue character does not HAVE to die. Chett managed to survive until the end of his chapter in ASoS. Sure, he dies eventually due to the Others/Wight's invasion of the Fist of the First Men, but he made it to the end of his chapter. And at this point, GRRM knows that we've caught on to his "formula". He very well could deviate from it. At this point, it's all up in the air.

Just saying, the prologue character does not HAVE to die. Chett managed to survive until the end of his chapter in ASoS. Sure, he dies eventually due to the Others/Wight's invasion of the Fist of the First Men, but he made it to the end of his chapter. And at this point, GRRM knows that we've caught on to his "formula". He very well could deviate from it. At this point, it's all up in the air.

I think you make the arguement that the prologue character has to die, at least by the end of the book.

I think I would be disappointed if the prologue character didn't die.

Grand Maester Pycelle...This could be a strong possibility...

1. Served 6 kings, starting with Aegon 5, surely knows a great deal about things all over Westeros.

2. Has appeared in all 5 books and we all know he is dead already.

3. Completes the Novice, Maester, Grand Maester triligy for even number books.

Mayhaps we'll get an archmaester prologue on aDoS. Dany/Aegon on the outskirts of the Citadel, dragons soaring in the sky ...

Mayhaps we'll get an archmaester prologue on aDoS. Dany/Aegon on the outskirts of the Citadel, dragons soaring in the sky ...

I like this idea it could be Marwyn off to meet Dany. I can think of many ways his plan can go wrong where he dies. As for your second thought I don't think Dany will be leaving for Westeros before the first half of the book or without Barristan if he survives Mereen.

Give me a prologue of a complete nobody. Like a pick pocket or street urchin. The chapter could just follow around the character doing nothing important until right at the end when they stumble upon a known character revealing some big secrets. Then they die, of course.

Archived