The Winds of Winter Prologue

It will probably be some very minor character who will die or perhaps die shortly.

My crazy guesses....

1) An Other (Coldhands perhaps) or a Wight

2) Edmure or someone in the Westerlands

3) Child of the Forest

4) Tom Seven Strings

5) Osha w/ Rickon

X) Random character we have never seen to give us a taste of what's to come

I think it may start from a POV in Sothoryos. Jalabhar Xho is always begging the Iron throne to help free his people, and the lands of Sothoryos are included on the world map. With the odd chapters beyond the wall/ even maesters it could be a Maester that is taken prisoner to help heal a loved one. This leads to later chapters where word gets out about this and Dany decides it is time to go to Westeros, but first stopping this rebellion in Sothoryos - which is right below Slaver's Bay.

I think you mean the Summer Isles.

Osha and rickon, from osha pov. We learn that they are close now, but then Davos comes along and kills Osha thinkimg she is a wildling holding rickon captive. Setting up an interesting dynamic for rickon and davos throughout the book.

I cast my vote for one of the Children of the Forest.

And, to make it a little more spicy, is it possible that the prologue could be set in the far past? Say, when the First Men came over? Or during the Long Night? If WOW is going to be somewhat focused on the coming Winter and the Others, seeing the past would be a nice way to set it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I see it being one of the following, if not someone we've never met or heard of:

1) Osha

2) Euron, or more likely someone (like Maester Wendamyr) in his company

3) Rhaegar/Lyanna, someone from the past, though this seems very unlikely, but GRRM could do whatever the he*k he wants

4) Benjen

5) Jojen/Howland

6) Maester Lomys at Highgarden

7) Walder Frey, or some Frey who witnesses Walder's death and then dies at the hands of BWB and Stoneheart

8) Willas or Garlan

9) A Dothraki in the company of Daenerys, such as Mago or Jhaqo

10) Grand Maester Pycelle's replacement, or one of the conclave who elects the Grand Maester

It's probably none of these because I'm not GRRM or God.

Could it be Grand Maester Pycelle?. Just before he died of course. I feel like he had so many secrets to reveal but his character seemed useless in retrospect. What was the point of him in all honesty? This way he gets some final screen time, spills some secrets about Varys that he claimed to have, and he dies so everyone wins.

My thoughts

1) Obara Sand/Balon Swann/Darkstar, we might be able to see the tower of joy, and maybe see the next sword of the morning

2) Anyone in Hardhome. After all we are suppose to get more of the north in TWOW. Also, id be sweet to see some giant spiders or the dead in the water.

3) Bowen Marsh or someone else that stabbed Jon. Gonna be executed by undead Jon or burnt as sacrifice by Melisandre.

4) Master Coleman, finding out little fingers true agenda.

5) Benjen Stark, get to know more of the others

6) One of the Others, that would be pretty sweet.

7) Margaery Tyrell at her trial.

8) Lancel Lannister fighting against Ser Robert Strong. Cersei's trial is suppose to happen in 3 or 5 days after Kevan Lannisters chapter, unless they delay it because of Kevan's death.

9) Any master in Highgarden or Pyke.

10) Someone in Meereen or Winterfell, Martin did say he was gonna start off the book with the two biggest battles.

I want something related to The Others, a member of the Night's Watch or the Queen's Men in Castle Black after Jon's murder attempt while The Others are about to "attack" would be awesome.

Even though aDwD had a "North" prologue, I don't think those patterns will be followed forever as the books have already expanded too much.

Mago dying horribly. Would be nice to see Dany from the POV of someone who does not like her. (So far we have had Barristan and Quentyn, and Tyrion's distant observations).

If following the pattern of last five books, then WoW prologue should be someone related to citadel dying of poison. Alleras? (That would be sad). It would be repetitive if the death was due to Jaqen/Alchemist.

A Marwyn prologue would be great, but then he'd have to die. It would be anticlimactic if he reveals so much knowledge and plans, and then he ends up dead in an ironborn attack.

The maester at Storm's End, showing how Aegon and the Golden Company are able to take the castle without serious losses.

Probably this, but instead of the Maester (unless he gets killed) it will be the Commander of the Garrison

Could have something to do with the end though, eg as with Varymyrs prologue emplying at Jon Snow warging into Ghost as he dies (or at least the possibility of it), I wonder if we'll get a POV from the perspective of say a Child of the Forst/Those who sing song of the Earth, that Melisandre vision of the mist rising around the caves and the lights going out has me thinking that sadly Brans lair and the Children within it look set to get overrun

Any thoughts on what it might be or what you would like it to be? I know we've already had 3 of the first 5 prologues north of The Wall, but I would really like to see what is going on at Hardhome. It would be a really good chapter to set the tone for the book: bleak and cold and horrifying and hopeless. Any other thoughts?

I nothing really to back me up on this except something George did say that Howland reed is going to make a appearance in the books i think a prologue chapter would be perfect for him explaining the tower of joy and all that because i don't know how else he's going to make a appearance except maybe in a Davos chapter with Rickon. Also if the R+L=J or the Brandon Stark/ Ashara Dayne = Jon Snow theory are correct it could be explained in a prologue due to all that happen to Jon in Dance plus Bran with Howlands two kids it could make sense. Like maybe the chapter sums up memories of Howland to remind people whats happening in the North and South then it trails off to memories of lyanna stark cos we all know Howland and lyanna stark were friends or became friends maybe he wanted her too ( i certainly got that vibe from the stories that Merra told Bran) so i hope its Howland ive been wanting to hear from him since i first read the tower of joy part in GOT. Sorry bout the rant hope it made sense

Archived