So let's talk Minecraft.

MinDonner

I managed to get light-blue sheep, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make cyan. Some wild oats were sewn and now I have a pink sheep too (unintentional, but I have reservations about killing it off or redying it).

I really want to make green sheep, but so far my breeding efforts are making me look like an IKEA outlet.

Enchanting table is up in the library and I have enough obsidian to make a Nether portal, but I haven't decided where I want to put it yet.

I might make a "Temple of the Door" room or something dramatic and creepy to fit the theme. I really need some netherrack for my apartment fireplaces and netherbrick for other structures. Glowstone is just an exercise in frustration.

Hehehehe :D

I really don't know how they made creepers so damn creepy. But the sight of them is just TERRIFYING.

Strange discovery of the week: wandering through the mountains, I happened to glance up and see something orange. WTF? Random orange sheep that escaped? What is this thing? So had to climb up and find out.

It was two pumpkins. Not growing there, cos they had no stalks and were facing different directions. Just sitting there on a cliff.

How did they get there? The nearest pumpkins are in my mansion garden. Did an Enderman transport a pumpkin all the way up a mountain, then come back and get another one to put in the same place? WHAT HAPPENED?

*confused*

Oh, pumpkins can spawn randomly on hillsides - it's how I found my original pumpkins way back before I got smart and started farming them.

I thought for a second you were talking about cocoa beans since they look kinda round and pumpkin-ish, but those are in trees of course.

Speaking of...I tried to grow some cocoa beans and that didn't work. I tried to get some Jungle saplings to see if I could grow them that way. Still no luck. Sadly the nearest jungle is over 1500k blocks away, but not so sadly I found my first village trying to get home.

This is appropriate for this conversation.

You can grow cocoa pods on a stack of jungle wood quite easily, of course if you don't have any lying around that won't help you a bit.

HOLY CRAP THIS IS COOL AND MUST BE IN MY HOUSE - sorry for double post

That is way better than my chest surrounded by blocks of snow (in the cellar).

I grabbed a lot of jungle wood, but I was hoping for actual trees. If it just takes the wood, I can make trunk pillars in my underground farm and see how it works...

As for the fridge idea - it is making me want to build an Art pack with cabinet doors so I can make a more accurate kitchen...

Jungle trees seem to not drop as many saplings ad the other trees to me. Which is irritating beause the jungle was quite a trek away (I admit, I used an editor in the end).

I believe they also need a bit more space to grow, especially free space above them. But I am not completely sure.

Fridges are in! Now I can shoot hot porkchops across a room like nobody's business!

I put a water-filled cauldron next to it as a sink and a pressure-plate+fence table/counter to finish the look.

Upgraded all my lava disposals to vertical falls instead of basins, makes it easier to chuck in gravel/unwanted bits.

Debating on whether to automate my sugar-cane farm or just not worry about it. Still fail at mushroom farming, :bang:

Thinking about doing a new apartment with a 'Princess' bedroom to use up the pink wool, and maybe a 'Prince' bedroom next door in the pale blue.

Maybe a 'hidden library room' too...

I'll see what I can do about the jungle trees - but I got lucky/felt like an idiot when I went north out of my house rather than the usual south and plunked into a Jungle within sight of my home tower instead of the 4 day run I had made earlier, :dunce:

I'm pretty sure that you can get there without restarting - just find your End Portal in your Stronghold and give it a go. I'm not too interested in trying right now though, still too many caverns to explore!

I do wish the Xbox version wasn't finite, though. Makes me sad to think that soon I will run out of new caves (and I've already found pretty much every single block of clay on the planet, other ores will run out eventually too). Things like carrots, Desert Temples, jungles, hoppers I can live without, but those edges of the world are closing in on me and eventually I'll have to start all over again. :(

I built a big dome in the desert. I'm having this real attention-span problem with this game; halfway through one project I start thinking "ooh wouldn't it be cool if...?" and then semi-abandon what I'm doing and go start something else, which then gets half-completed until I think of the next thing I want to do. Which basically means I have a map full of small temporary-ish dwellings and huge random structures. One day maybe I'll get em all connected up...

My cows in Cavern Farm are refusing to breed now. Maybe it's because there are already too many other cows hanging around in the mountains already? I might have to go on a mountaineering/cow-slaughtering expedition.

Imagine that Libertarian paradise of legend - a whole infinite world full of resources, where the determined individual can pull himself up with his bootstraps, using nothing but bare hands, gritty determination and whatever tools he can craft from what's at hand...

...but yeah, basically you get dumped in the middle of a randomly-generated landscape, could be desert or jungle or mountains or (if you're unlucky) the middle of the sea, and you have to make food and shelter from whatever you find nearby. Punch a tree to get wood. Make a pickaxe out of wood so you can mine stone. Collect up all the stone and build a castle. Cos at night, fucking scary monsters come out and kill you. Make a sword. Chop the grass down and get wheat seeds. Make a hoe and you can plant your seeds and grow wheat. Use the wheat to entice sheep, which you can shear for wool - at least, you can once you've found some iron ore. And some coal. And built a furnace to smelt it in. And so on and so forth. And that's not even getting into the fact that you can even make rudimentary electrical circuits once you have the right sort of elements, which you can use to automatically, I dunno, shoot arrows to harvest your wheat which is then carried by a hydraulic delivery system to your barn...

...and there's some shit about building a portal to an alternate dimension too, which I don't even start to understand yet. Or, you could just build a big house out of gold. I don't think there's any actual point to it, but my god it's compelling.

it's interesting what happens to Minecraft when the resources are not infinite.

What happens when humans are forced to compete for resources? How does a group of strangers interact when trapped in a confined area? And, with limited knowledge of their fellow competitors' intentions, how long does it take before paranoia kicks in?

Not long, apparently.

A fascinating experiment into human nature has been conducted by
(thanks,
). 30 players were instructed to play for two months within a 350x350 grid. They were not told the purpose of the study.

Strip mining of the map's resources quickly began.

Resources began to run out almost immediately, and players (instructed to communicate using external programs as much as possible) quickly formed territorial clans.

Read full article here.

I hate all of you.

... downloaded this on Saturday and have been playing ever since. ...

It's ridiculously addictive.

Think I ought to start an actual project this evening. I found a ton of redstone yesterday, so I might play about with that. It's way too easy to just wander about doing nothing in particular though.

heh heh. I thought TF2 was bad for my son until he was introduced to Minecraft. The end result is that he is only given 7 hrs on a Friday or Saturday to play, and we attempt to have 36 hours before he returns to school to "cleanse" his system.

No, still haven't found any caverns in the Pocket Edition. I did buy the full version, but with two teenaged boys in the house, I haven't been allowed anywhere near it since.

we will have an entire generation of boys who are ignorant of the most basic lifeskills and mathematics because they were tuned out for 4 years -- obsessing over Minecraft. :crying:

*sigh* WesterosCraft :bowdown:

My son is doing a fair imitation of the little emoticon above.

i finally looked up dye recipes and now my sheep paddocks look even more like skittles. I would expand even more, but I've already filled 2 double chests with wool stacks so I need to get serious about using them.

I have several more apartments I intend to build, so there should be some nice color schemes now.

I'm also digging out a new Red Temple to put my nether portal in, but the geometry of the floor plan is defeating me so far. When it's all laid out I'm going to need a LOT of lava buckets and glass blocks...

I built a big dome in the desert. I'm having this real attention-span problem with this game; halfway through one project I start thinking "ooh wouldn't it be cool if...?" and then semi-abandon what I'm doing and go start something else, which then gets half-completed until I think of the next thing I want to do. Which basically means I have a map full of small temporary-ish dwellings and huge random structures. One day maybe I'll get em all connected up...

My cows in Cavern Farm are refusing to breed now. Maybe it's because there are already too many other cows hanging around in the mountains already? I might have to go on a mountaineering/cow-slaughtering expedition.

Ohhh nice, a biosphere project.

I have the same problem with changing interests, suspending or even dropping a project to try something new.

I'm having this real attention-span problem with this game; halfway through one project I start thinking "ooh wouldn't it be cool if...?" and then semi-abandon what I'm doing and go start something else, which then gets half-completed until I think of the next thing I want to do.

Most people I know, including me, have the same issue in Minecraft.

Archived