Best military commanders in A Song of Ice and Fire

dornishprince

Well the two of you can't change the way thing are.Stannis is not a hero, nor is he good or likeable.

:dunno:

Stannis is originally set up in ACoK as something somewhat villainous. What with the whole Maester Cressen thing, Melisandre's business, Renly's murder, Blackwater, etc. However by the time ASoS rolls around, Stannis' villainous impression is subverted. It is subverted by Davos' undying loyalty (and yes, we are supposed to root for Davos) and Stannis' actions at the Wall. Stannis and his men aid the Night's Watch and continue to do so in ADWD. In ADWD, Stannis is fighting and marching toward Winterfell to take it back from the Boltons and reinstate "Arya" as its heir. This is also part of the reason why he offered to legitimize Jon.

Stannis is not a villain anymore. He is now a grey character working for the greater good/goals of the actual heroes.

Stannis is originally set up in ACoK as something somewhat villainous. What with the whole Maester Cressen thing, Melisandre's business, Renly's murder, Blackwater, etc. However by the time ASoS rolls around, Stannis' villainous impression is subverted. It is subverted by Davos' undying loyalty (and yes, we are supposed to root for Davos) and Stannis' actions at the Wall. Stannis and his men aid the Night's Watch and continue to do so in ADWD. In ADWD, Stannis is fighting and marching toward Winterfell to take it back from the Boltons and reinstate "Arya" as its heir. This is also part of the reason why he offered to legitimize Jon.

Stannis is not a villain anymore. He is now a grey character working for the greater good/goals of the actual heroes.

Well said! The starks are obviously the main part of the story, but that doesn't mean We cant love Stannis just as much as them and root for him.

Is he any more dead because he was burned? Not the most humane thing but an executions an execution. My only beef with Stannis is how he treated Cressen at the end. Seemed mean and out of character

Yes, his treatment of cressen was uncalled for. I put that on selsye though.

:bowdown: :agree:Masterfully played Flo...

Agreed.

You're right, who needs those pesky lethal injections anyway ? From now on I suggest that those states in the US who have the death penalty just burn them instead. Much cheaper, and dead is dead, right ?

Sentencing someone to death is quite a bit different from torturing them to death.

Agreed.

However, It is medieval times.

IMO, the reason why we cannot fully gauge Stannis' military knowledge and prowess is because of Melisandre. He relies on her too much, and though it is good to use whatever assets you have, I think he didn't quite use other assets to their max capacity, and most of the decisions we see him take come from his listening to Melisandre. But even with Mel clouding a complete analysis of Stannis as a commander, I think there is plenty of evidence to show he is one of the best commanders in Westeros, and most certainly the best among the still living. (some may rise in the future books to challenge this).

But back to what I said about him not using all of his assets fully: I would have thought that the man who supposedly knew the strength of every house in Westeros would use all means of intelligence gathering about his enemy.

Salladhor Saan apparently had some info about KL, but that was before Stannis even sailed from Dragonstone. Why not send Davos to KL, a skilled smuggler, loyal, reliable, and he also knows the city well? Why not do a better job at learning what were the positions of various armies? Did he at least know that Tywin had left Harrenhal to battle Robb in the west prior to his own march on KL?

Don't get me wrong, I think marching on KL when he did was the only viable option. He did show restrain by not sailing straight to KL from Dragonstone, and once his army was bolstered, attacking KL was the only option. And he did a fair job of it, but what if he had intelligence on what Tyrion was planning? He would have taken KL then for sure, but alas GRRM didn't want him to.

IMO, the reason why that we cannot fully gauge Stannis' military knowledge and prowess is because of Melisandre. He relies on her too much, and though it is good to use whatever assets you have, I think he didn't quite use other assets to their max capacity, and most of the decisions we see him take come from his listening to Melisandre. But even with Mel clouding a complete analysis of Stannis as a commander, I think there is plenty of evidence to show he is one of the best commanders in Westeros, and most certainly the best among the still living. (some may rise in the future books to challenge this).

But back to what I said about him not using all of his assets fully: I would have thought that the man who supposedly knew the strength of every house in Westeros would use all means of intelligence gathering about his enemy.

Salladhor Saan apparently had some info about KL, but that was before Stannis even sailed from Dragonstone. Why not send Davos to KL, a skilled smuggler, loyal, reliable, and he also knows the city well? Why not do a better job at learning what were the positions of various armies? Did he at least know that Tywin had left Harrenhal to battle Robb in the west prior to his own march on KL?

Don't get me wrong, I think marching on KL when he did was the only viable option. He did showed restrained by not sailing straight to KL from Dragonstone, and once his army was bolstered, attacking KL was the only option. And he did a fair job of it, but what if he had intelligence on what Tyrion was planning? He would have taken KL then for sure, but alas GRRM didn't want him to.

Agreed.

Sure, but it not being rare doesn't make Stannis any nicer of a guy.

Let's face it, Stannis has probably the best track record as far as battles go of living people in Westeros, I'll not deny that. But I wouldn't call him a Hero, there are precious few of those in the books. As the poster above me said, and I agree with he's a "grey" character.

Let's face it, Stannis has probably the best track record as far as battles go of living people in Westeros, I'll not deny that. But I wouldn't call him a Hero, there are precious few of those in the books. As the poster above me said, and I agree with he's a "grey" character.

I was never saying it justified it! I was just pointing out why it might not have been seen as bad in his world.

Grey, yes. But not Evil, nor someone we are supposed to hate. IMO we are meant to sympathize with Stannis and his quest.

Archived