Could Missandei actually be the Harpy?

houseHB

I have no idea why so many people are certain that the Green Grace is the Harpy. It is a real possibility, but not a particularly strong one, and it doesn't fit all that well with her straightforward, helpful nature.

Missandei would be a stronger possibility, but I doubt she has enough connections in Meereen. Her motivation could easily be a (correct) perception that Daenerys is meddling with things she neither understands nor knows how to contain and simply expects others to accept the fall, just like that.

On the other hand, maybe she has been building connections with like-minded meereneese. It can even be that his brother helped her at first and then had to be silenced.

Sounds about as likely as the Green Grace, come to think of it. But my money is still on the Shavepate.

On the other hand, maybe she has been building connections with like-minded meereneese. It can even be that his brother helped her at first and then had to be silenced.

The idea of Missandei ordering her brother's assasination is very amusing. I think the series would fall apart at this point, if Martin wrote that.

But my money is still on the Shavepate.

I agree on the Shavepate; though I don't see how Missandei makes sense at all. She has nothing to gain from betraying Dany to the Slavers, and considering what they did to her and her brothers, she certainly has good reason to hate everything they stand for.

Some people think the Green Grace can't be the Harpy because that's too obvious but the story is set up to make us believe Hizdahr is the Harpy. Without reading these forums it's my guess that a majority of readers wouldn't have come to the conclusion that the Green Grace is the Harpy. Yet when you read between the lines people are saying "she can't be the harpy because it's too obvious" but this makes no sense because it is not obvious at all except to those who read these forums.

Some people think the Green Grace can't be the Harpy because that's too obvious but the story is set up to make us believe Hizdahr is the Harpy. Without reading these forums it's my guess that a majority of readers wouldn't have come to the conclusion that the Green Grace is the Harpy. Yet when you read between the lines people are saying "she can't be the harpy because it's too obvious" but this makes no sense because it is not obvious at all except to those who read these forums.

Ah, the eternal problem of the parallel problem solver. GRRM wouldn't put it out, so it's not Hizdahr. Green Grace is too obvious, so it's not her.

Though, I personally enjoy that line of thinking, because it gets people thinking in a more depth scope. What some can come up with can actually turn up to be quite interesting too.

Haha, imagine Apple Martini actually leading a group of villainous harpies from the shadows.

I'm with DP - that's a scary thought. Imagine if they'd infiltrated this very forum... shudder.

I wouldn't have picked up on the Green Grace probably being the harpy if not for this place. I didn't read Dany's ADWD chapters as carefully as I should have.

Haha, oooooh yeah. I didn't know that counted, but alright.

Why wouldn't it count?

In case this actually needs stating, I don't believe Apple is the Harpy. I thought this was a pretty clear cut thing. The Harpy is the Green Grace.

It's still a frightening thought. I suddenly feel very vulnerable.

Also, one more for the Green Grace. Poor little Missandei...

Who was the first person to actually say something about there being a "the harpy". Thats the suspect.

Grand Master Kraznys way back in Astapor. He said it to Missandei while insulting Dany. Missandei didn't translate it. Dany was the first to define the Sons of the Harpy as a group.

What is this thread?

There's a greater probability that Apple Martini is somehow the Harpy than Missendei.

Mine too.

Very plausible, Apple has no love for Dany. It is known.

But it deems there is somthing amiss with this theory... something with fiction and reality... but I cannot remember exactly... :idea:

Now being serious:

It would be cool if Missandei is more than she appears. And there have been people Dani saved that did her harm... *coughing* Mirri Maz Duur *coughing*

I think what people are missing is that if Missendei is the harpy she not doing it to betray Dany but to bait her into an all out battle with the Meeranese nobility who in all likelihood would betray Dany if it didn't mean certain death. I'm not really sold on it, but I'm equally not sold on it being the Green Grace. I think either there is no "Harpy" and the sons are acting more or less autonomously or its the most obvious possibilities of Hizdahr zo Loraq or Reznak mo Reznak.

Archived