Battle for Mereen Speculation

MikeL

Here's a little crackpot theory here that kinda has to do with this thread. Where is the missing third of the Iron Fleet? Vic lost about 35 ships (weren't they in a group as well?) and doesn't know where they are. Are they going to be showing up later? I think they either: A. Show up after the Battle for Mereen, B. Show up en route to Westeros, or C. Are on their way back to Westeros to Euron. The reason I think this is Euron has a lot of cunning and was able to sever Nute the Barber from Vic. Could he have convinced one of the Vic's men to take the portion back as he knew Vic would be forced to split them? Maybe this is crackpot, just throwing it out there.

Extra possibilities D: They all sunk E: They were taken by the Corsair King

+ I think that I speak for most of the fans when I say that MEEREEN NEEDS TO BURN FOR WHAT IS HAS DONE TO US READERS. It would make so many people so happy to see that city go down.

Burn it to the ground!!! It would be cathartic reading that.

Burn it to the ground!!! It would be cathartic reading that.

That means that there will be an even greater number of hungry, poor, and dispossessed people following Dany around. Including the sons of the Harpy planning top take revenge.

As much as I'd love to see Mereen burn, I'd hate to see it become the reason why Dany must visit yet another Free City. Or stay, and rebuild. Of course, maybe all the poor are gone by the time Dany returns, enslaved and sold by Victarion.

Moqorro saw visions of Vic's glory in his fires. Victarian is not going to get comically eaten by a dragon just a few weeks later.

visions of glory doesn't necessarily mean he would live through it all or that Moqorro is telling the true (he could be using Vic to his own end)...like Vic points out before Euron's gifts are always poison, so i am incline to believe Vic will die in relation to the Horn being use.

lol you're asking if something in these books sounds ridiculous or not? it's all ridiculous fantasy. And yes I think she can be burned by hot metal but not fire from her children (dragons). I think any person would have a melted scalp if a dragon set their hair on fire, but she was fine, just like she was after the pyre.

The thing about her lungs is from the HOTU. She is in a room full of fire and 'bulls through' the burning bodies, drogon flies after her through a wall of fire. humans don't survive in rooms full of fire, their lungs can't take it. I really don't understand why i have to argue this point so much. Dany is clearly immune to fire from her dragons. if the pyre was a one-time event thats fine we wont discuss it. But the HOTU is from Dany's POV and she doesn't even mention that it's hot in there or that she can't breathe.

When Drogon blasts her in the fire pit he sets her hair on fire. a giant furnace sized blast of fire so close to your head that your hair sets on fire. Next time you want to get your hair cut, just burn it off instead and see if your body/skin is affected at all. I guarantee it will be!

Dany is absolutely immune to Drogons fire breath. And there is NOTHING AT ALL in the reading or GRRM's statements that contradict this. So we will just have to wait and see from the last 2 books.

:agree:

I’m pretty sure he’ll survive Tyrions attempt to free him. The main reason why I believe he won’t just be killed by Vic to end his storyline is that Daario’s whole character was conceived with only one goal and that is to make us doubt Daenerys (like FaB over at WIC stated “He’s the fake gangsta rapper you can’t believe you found Dany with”).

Personally, I think GRRM failed to make that goal compelling (he overdid Daario. Blue beard, golden tooth, Swag and lady shaped handles for his blades? Just to fucking much) at the moment. I think that if he’s in league with the Harpy Daario might win back some of his initial credibility and then in hindsight the whole storyline would be a little more compelling.

I also think that it’s not really out of character for Daario to behave in that way. He’s obviously power hungry (see Meereen RW plan) and he’s not afraid to change side/make a bold move (like decapitating two fellow captains and offering their heads to his employers enemy). And since he can’t gain anything more by staying on Dany’s side (she chose her people over him by marrying Hizdahr), it’s obvious that he should try and make a move and change sides again.

One final argument, in ADWD we had to read through to the whole “50 shades of Daario” crap. If Daario dies by Vics hands without having betrayed Dany in the slightest than changes are that for a big part of tWoW we’ll have to read through “50 shades of mourning about Daario”. I don’t think I could survive that.

- You have a good argument here for Daario betraying Dany. She needs to break ties with Slavers' Bay to move on, and it would help if Daario himself was seen as part of the problem. She would want to leave his smoking corpse behind and get away from that whole part of the world, to physically and mentally distance herself from her earlier life. I still don't think Martin will go that way, it might be a bit too cliche, but I guess it's a possibility.

This point isn’t really essential in any way to my major points but allow me to demonstrate why I think she would burn Meereen (while keeping the rest of my predictions and the text in mind).

1) She already left a council behind in Astapor. That didn’t work out did it?

2) I don’t think Dany would want someone as the Shavepate to rule the city. She might use him herself but the Shavepate doesn’t seem like the guy who could rule a city in a way that Dany would be comfortable with.

3) Slavers bay has a long, bloody history. A history that is subject to a steady decline (the slave trade was the only real moneymaker there and still the cities were declining). Now Astapor is destroyed, Yunkai will not be allowed to recover yet again and Meereen isn’t doing great either. Dany has a chance to dish out a finishing blow to one of the most repulsive cultures in that entire universe, would she let that go? In fact it’s probably more merciful to put the city to the torch. We all know that Slavers Bay is going to go down the drain anyway. The Slave Trade was the only thing that kept those cities a float. And the slave trade is never coming back.

4) The burning of Meereen would be very symbolic. Think about it, burning Meereen would bring Dany in contact with:

a) The Valyrian Empire. She, the last descendant of Old Valyria, destroys the last remnants of Old Ghis. Thus symbolizing the fact that she’s destined for great things (IIRC the real golden era of Valyria commenced after they bested Old Ghis and claimed dominance over the region).

B) Queen Nymeria. Nymeria is known best as the greatest Warrior Queen (I mean she was Arya’s hero so that means that even in the North tales of her achievement were told) that Westeros ever knew. But as we see in Tyrions ADWD chapters she was much more than that. Not just a shrewd politician and commander but also a savior to her people. All things that would appeal to Dany.

C) The Red Priests. If Moqorro and Tyrion tell her about that fact that the Red Priests think she is AA reborn they might advise her to symbolize that in some way. And what better way to do that than sacrifice an entire city to the flames?

d) The new Dany. I think that the old Dany died in the Dothraki Sea. I think that the Dany that returns from the Dothraki Sea will be a wholly different person and ruler than the ineffective, masochistic, frightened little girl that used to rule Meereen (and who had an incredible amount of luck). Putting Meereen to the torch would be a rite of passage for her.

5) It would show her people that there is no way back. That they need to fight until the bitter end to get to their new promised land Westeros.

- A good argument here as well for Dany burning Meereen with its old families. Do you think, however, that she would burn all the citizens of Meereen, or or only the old establishment, and take the freedmen with her as she did from Astapor and Yunkai? If she burns them as well, to destroy her old life as a freer of slaves, that will be crossing a moral event horizon for me, and to a large extent jumping the shark. She would be a much less sympathetic character, and a less interesting read.

+ I think that I speak for most of the fans when I say that MEEREEN NEEDS TO BURN FOR WHAT IS HAS DONE TO US READERS. It would make so many people so happy to see that city go down.

- Sounds like a personal thing. I have no animus against the city, and am as conflicted about what to do with it as Dany has been. I would just as soon leave it to its own devices, if some way could be found to protect its freedmen. We will have to see exactly how she has changed while she was gone.

Archived