Talisa's true purpose in S3? [spoilers]

Ser Dawg

I think the idea that D&D will try to pass off Robb's wife as his little sister is a bit thick. It will be better to just kill her off at the RW.

I agree about Talisa not replacing Jeyne Poole. On the other hand perhaps they had a good reason to introduce Talisa and replace Jeyne Westerling. In the books, Jeyne has a mother and an uncle, brothers and a sister and they all appear. Her younger brother seems like a nice person and during RW he tries to free Grey Wind. On the other hand, Jeyne's mother and uncle are the ones who plotted against Robb. To explain Jeyne Westerling and the implications of her relationship with Robb, they would also have to introduce her mother and at least one of her siblings. Talisa is just Talisa. I think that she is a combination of Jeyne and Sybelle. She is a spy, ordered by Tywin to ruin Robb. Most likely Talisa will be at the RW and perhaps she might even be the one to kill Robb. Then she can take the reward that Tywin gave her and be on her way, untill she is caught by a band of outlaws. Their leader, a hooded woman orders Talisa to be executed and Lady Stoneheart is introduced.

The whole Volantis thing was just too deliberate to be fake front for a spy. It was a long scene set to establish both Talissa's character (as someone with a lot of integrity) and tell us very real info about Volantis. Also, random foreign chick in all normal circumstances would make a horrible spy. Nobody would naturally trust her.

Unless Oona Chaplin is the biggest troll in the history of show business, the "Talisa is a spy" stupidity should be put to rest for good now. Watch at about 1:00 in to see her answer regarding what her character is like...

I'm pretty dubious of the "Talisa is a spy" theories too, but I don't think that interview proves anything. If she's really a spy, the showrunners will surely go out of their way to make sure actors working on the show don't spoil it. With that "geniune feelings" talk she could very well be going out of her way to throw people off.

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and that's why I decided to post this here. Beware: there will be spoilers from book 3 in here, so don't read any further if you don't want to get spoiled!

Anyway, I think her true purpose could be that she is a Lannister spy. It would be a drastic plot point and it would make the RW only better, since nobody will see this coming. Of course, I don't have anything to back this up, except for the fact that this would actually give her character any meaning, because she's currently nothing of value. Yes, I know her marrying Robb only to betray him in the end seems drastic, but it's so crazy that it would fit Tywin to do something like this.

Also, maybe they could show that one scene from S2 where she jokingly tells Robb she's sending a scroll with information to the Lannisters after which they both laugh as a flashback. Why? Didn't you notice she quickly began to hide the scroll when Cat arrives? Her story about the scroll wasn't a joke after all, hah! A fitting theme would be:

Yes, this last part is obviously a joke, but what do you guys think about her being a Lannister spy? Wouldn't it be a great and unexpected change?

This is definitely something I suspected as a show watcher before I read the books. Not sure how I feel about it now, but it would be consistent with the general idea behind the book-plot, which is that Jeyne was a setup. That the show wrote her as Talisa and not a Westerling also cuts down on the number of characters involved and thus on the convolutedness of the whole situation; the betrayal would be much easier to explain to the show audience if Talisa was simply a plant by Tywin, even though she may well have ended up developing genuine feelings for Robb.

Show-Tywin delivers a line to his war council that has always stuck with me: "We've been waiting for him to fail. He is not going to fail. Not without our help." So I do think it would make quite a bit of sense for the show to do this, honestly.

Of course, it's also possible that Tywin's line only comes into play once the marriage has already happened and Tywin contacts Walder Frey. But I'm leaning towards a spy-Talisa right now. Can't wait to see.

Unless Oona Chaplin is the biggest troll in the history of show business, the "Talisa is a spy" stupidity should be put to rest for good now. Watch at about 1:00 in to see her answer regarding what her character is like...

great watch, thanks for the link, but I don' see how that disproves the spy theory. If the biggest change of her character in season 3 was the genuine-ness of her feelings towards Robb, than what that really says is they weren't very genuine in the last season. Goes well with the whole spy who falls in love with her enemy plot.

I agree with the people who have said that if she was a spy they picked a horrible guize for her to do it in. You don't pose as a unique foreigner if you are trying to blend in. Additionally, the show has already done enough to foreshaddow what happens between Robb and Roose Bolton. There will be enough of a betrayal element if they continue this and have Bolton be the one to strike the final blow as it happened in the books. I think adding Talisa as a betrayer would go too far and distort the actual event. However, having Talisa die with Robb would serve to accentuate the effect of the RW without seriously messing anything up. It also would neatly get rid of her. Jeyne Westerlng is of little importance after the RW and not likely to assume any prominence again. Even if they had gone with a Jeyne instead of Talisa I would have her killed in the show RW to just make a more complete wrap up of Robb's story.

I didn't much credence to this theory but Michelle Fairley is always saying in interviews that she doesn't trust her or she's not trustworthy. So maybe it's just Catelyn being a monster-in-law, but maybe Fairley knows about this spy stuff. Still, would seem pretty out of nowhere for her to be this massive double-agent.

What I wonder about will be if she'll journey to the Twins with Robb or not.

There was a clip in a recent trailer which showed Catelyn, Robb and Talisa at what could only be the Red Wedding (pre-massacre), juding by the context and the outfits. I think she'll get murdered there. Ties up a loose end.

There was a clip in a recent trailer which showed Catelyn, Robb and Talisa at what could only be the Red Wedding (pre-massacre), juding by the context and the outfits. I think she'll get murdered there. Ties up a loose end.

Thanks, I have only caught a few of the clips so far, trying to not make the next few weeks of waiting any more painful than they have to be. Even if she was a spy, I'd imagine that her going to the wedding is going to spell death for her.

Safe bet that is the funeral for Hoster Tully

I didn't much credence to this theory but Michelle Fairley is always saying in interviews that she doesn't trust her or she's not trustworthy. So maybe it's just Catelyn being a monster-in-law, but maybe Fairley knows about this spy stuff. Still, would seem pretty out of nowhere for her to be this massive double-agent.

I have never heard Michelle Fairley say this in any interview. Care to link any of them?

I noticed that, too. Roose seemed okay with their blooming relationship and he just leave them alone, while the other bannermen didn't approve him bringing Talisa to the Crag to have more chance of them "getting to know each other."

I think its not quite so innocent. Roose is already plotting against Robb and he sees his infatuation with Talisa as another weakness he can exploit.

Archived