Davos

Thoros of Ders

Osha isn't much about ranting about kneelers. I think her pubringing would be good - being Wildling, she may know how to land few well timed smacks around Rickon's ear without being eaten by Shaggy.

After all she managed to keep Rickon quiet in the crypts, so I guess that she will be beneficial for the Little Lord.

Why does everyone assume Davos will actually be successful? Haven't you read everyone else's chapters and noticed a trend? Nobody ever succeeds at what they were trying to accomplish. They always get turned over onto a different path and their story changes. Ned died. Arya didn't make it to the wall. Tyrion didn't make it to Daenerys. etc. etc.

My guess is something will happen that will throw Davos off his original goal of finding Rickon. We may or may not even see Skagos, but we probably won't see Rickon alive again.

I don't believe Davos will die but his purpose will change from searching for Rickon to something else.

Why does everyone assume Davos will actually be successful? Haven't you read everyone else's chapters and noticed a trend? Nobody ever succeeds at what they were trying to accomplish. They always get turned over onto a different path and their story changes. Ned died. Arya didn't make it to the wall. Tyrion didn't make it to Daenerys. etc. etc.

My guess is something will happen that will throw Davos off his original goal of finding Rickon. We may or may not even see Skagos, but we probably won't see Rickon alive again.

I don't believe Davos will die but his purpose will change from searching for Rickon to something else.

That's true, very true. but some quests have worked out. Dany made it to Qarth, Aegon made it back to Westeros. Littlefinger saved Sansa. Myrcella went to Dorne. Tywin saved KL. But I do have to admit that almost all of the plans ppl make in these books do not work out at all. everything Dorne has planned has failed, Arianne and Myrcella, Quentyn, the Red Viper taking vengance on gregor. Poor Dorne :(

But despite all that I do believe someone will get Rickon, Davos will probably get there and then something will go wrong on the way back or something.

Davos goal was to get to WH and convince Manderly to support King Stannis, and he was turned around multible times already. Sallador abandoned him in a boat on the way, he landed on the sisters instead of WH, got arrested, finally got an audience with Mandery and got arrested again and thrown in jail for weeks. Now he has to sail to Skagos, find Rickon and get him back to WH.

I'm sure it won't go smoothly for Davos, but I believe, in the end he will bring Rickon back, otherwise most of the northern storylines get stuck.

Interesting ideas!

First of all, not all runts remain the smallest of the litter. With proper nutrition, it's been discovered by dog breeders that runts can grow to be the largest in the litter.

Secondly, I agree with the idea that cannibalism stories are being used to keep non-Northerners off the island. If the islanders still worship the Old Gods and the Children and the Trees, what better way to keep these things alive and sacred than to scare everyone who would cause potential harm away? As well, the clans that joined up with Stannis had no issue with consuming whatever food they could, human flesh or otherwise, so it may be that stories are based on activities from winters long ago (much like in Nan's tales).

I'm so keen on finding out what Davos and Rickon (and Shaggy Dog) have in store for them.

I'm also thinking that Davos will bite it before delivering Rickon. Poor guy.

Interesting ideas!

First of all, not all runts remain the smallest of the litter. With proper nutrition, it's been discovered by dog breeders that runts can grow to be the largest in the litter.

Secondly, I agree with the idea that cannibalism stories are being used to keep non-Northerners off the island. If the islanders still worship the Old Gods and the Children and the Trees, what better way to keep these things alive and sacred than to scare everyone who would cause potential harm away? As well, the clans that joined up with Stannis had no issue with consuming whatever food they could, human flesh or otherwise, so it may be that stories are based on activities from winters long ago (much like in Nan's tales).

I'm so keen on finding out what Davos and Rickon (and Shaggy Dog) have in store for them.

I'm also thinking that Davos will bite it before delivering Rickon. Poor guy.

See that's funny, I feel like Davos is one of the ppl who will survive. Him and stannis are 2 of my fav characters. I think Stannis's wife and child will both prob die, and maybe Stannis too in the end, but Davos will live on, after he survived the Battle of the Blackwater he has a purpose.

Rickon as Kim Jung-Un!

On topic: the statement you made over the first night and then being sure that Skagos is sick or weird is wrong. Roose mentions other northern houses that we all respect also having the right of the first night, so that is by no means a standard.

Now I have thought about it, the whole Skagosi uprising settles me as to be more in a subtext of the risings of the Whelsh nationalists against english lords in Wales. In any case, the rebbellion was routed, so the starks probably posted some new mainland-lords on skagos in castles with large amount of mainlanders with them. These lords and their subject are beyond a doubt loyall to the Starks. But maybe the native skagosi are living in the remote area's of the islands and are not at all loyal, who nows?

also on one of the other threads, ppl are saying that 4 years have lapsed since GOT. Other people say it is 3 years. But either way Rickon would be 7 or 8 not just a little 6 year old. Which to me is way more interesting. the older he is, the cooler his chapters will be :)

this is a quote from another thread someone just posted.

"As Lykos mentioned, we are currently in 301AL; GOT was set in 297AL so it's ~4 years."

so yeah I guess it is 4 years, so that would make Rickon 8 years old.

If the wildings can get to Skagos by raft, then so could the others. Osha knows how to avoid them, and may be instrumental in warning the Skagosi and preparing the defenses, then when the last holdfast is about to be overrun Davos can get them off the island. Having fought the others once, he, and osha can provide Stannis with intelligence(about dragonglass etc.) And bring backthe rightful Lord of Winterfell. But it probably won't happen untilthe end of TWoW, or the beginning of aDoS

this is a quote from another thread someone just posted.

"As Lykos mentioned, we are currently in 301AL; GOT was set in 297AL so it's ~4 years."

so yeah I guess it is 4 years, so that would make Rickon 8 years old.

Nope. Jon Arryn died 298AL (a month or so before Robert arrives at Winterfell). The PW was new year's day 300AL & Quentyn Martell died in 300AL. The general consensus is that AFFC/ADWD takes place over about 6 months, so Rickon is 6, maybe just pushing 7. I would say it is roughly 2 1/2 yrs covered in total so far.

Nope. Jon Arryn died 298AL (a month or so before Robert arrives at Winterfell). The PW was new year's day 300AL & Quentyn Martell died in 300AL. The general consensus is that AFFC/ADWD takes place over about 6 months, so Rickon is 6, maybe just pushing 7. I would say it is roughly 2 1/2 yrs covered in total so far.

I can't argue because I have no idea where you guys are getting these dates?? I was just reposting what someone else said. I hope Rickon is at least 7-8 though. a 6 year old is so much less interesting than an 8 year old.

I can't argue because I have no idea where you guys are getting these dates?? I was just reposting what someone else said. I hope Rickon is at least 7-8 though. a 6 year old is so much less interesting than an 8 year old.

The dates are from the wiki, which could very well be unreliable :drunk: The point I was making was that the first 3 books are over roughly 2 years & the last 2 are over a much tighter timeline, 6 months to a year (tops). Of course GRRM didn't include names of months or internal month specific dates (like 15th march etc) 'cause he doesn't really give a mummer's fart about a tight cohesive timeline :drunk:

The dates are from the wiki, which could very well be unreliable :drunk: The point I was making was that the first 3 books are over roughly 2 years & the last 2 are over a much tighter timeline, 6 months to a year (tops). Of course GRRM didn't include names of months or internal month specific dates (like 15th march etc) 'cause he doesn't really give a mummer's fart about a tight cohesive timeline :drunk:

Ok I see. The new year/new century when Joff gets married is really the only specific date I remember, besides historical events. So lets hope Rickon is at least 7 and living on Skagos with a goaticorn-eating, wild direwolf, and a Wildling nanny :) Should be a fun place to visit. :drool:

I read on another thread that Arya was blind for a year whilst with the faceless men, and she had to get there from the red wedding, after wandering round with the hound and getting on the boat to get to Braavos etc, which must account for at least 18 months to 2 years after the red wedding, but i don't know if this really helps the discussion much.

I do like Davos though, and hope that he gets more to do, and that he gets to retire with his son surviving him.

I read on another thread that Arya was blind for a year whilst with the faceless men, and she had to get there from the red wedding, after wandering round with the hound and getting on the boat to get to Braavos etc, which must account for at least 18 months to 2 years after the red wedding, but i don't know if this really helps the discussion much.

I do like Davos though, and hope that he gets more to do, and that he gets to retire with his son surviving him.

So what was the date of the red wedding......................The Red Wedding was a massacre that took place at the Twins in 299AL during the War of the Five Kings--wiki

so if robert arryn dies 298 then rw=299 + 18 months is 3 1/2" years total from GOT so Rickon is 7 1/2, soon to be 8 years old at the end of DwD. That's awesome!

It's been speculated that Biter is a native Skagg, and he is pretty quick to eat Brienne's face, so it's certainly not a given that the cannibalism stories are just to ward off intruders.

And there's the little matter of the depopulated Skane island next to Skagos.

It's been speculated that Biter is a native Skagg, and he is pretty quick to eat Brienne's face, so it's certainly not a given that the cannibalism stories are just to ward off intruders.

And there's the little matter of the depopulated Skane island next to Skagos.

Why was biter in a mercenary companie, not because he was so loved at home that he managed to get a wife and some sweet kids and make a living on his own. Just meaning that biter is a maniac probably by skagosi standards as well. Why arn't there more skagosi fighting as mercenaries if they are so evil?

Biters tribe may be one of the tribes that kept the old standards of kannibalism high.

Why was biter in a mercenary companie, not because he was so loved at home that he managed to get a wife and some sweet kids and make a living on his own. Just meaning that biter is a maniac probably by skagosi standards as well. Why arn't there more skagosi fighting as mercenaries if they are so evil?

Biters tribe may be one of the tribes that kept the old standards of kannibalism high.

Well that is very telling, we haven't heard about cannibalism tribes running rampant anywhere else in Westeros. I think that all this Skagos/canniblism stuff is not just info we should sweep away as unimportant. If Biter is the only person we know so far from Skagos then why wouldnt he be a good representation of the people that live there? In these books it really doesn't seem like statements are just made loosely, and people's character have thus far been very important.

I still hold strong to the idea that Skagos is a crazy place where who knows what is considered normal everyday life. It seems dangerous and wild with a lot of wilderness and freaking crazy ppl living there. I am sure if RIckon has been in a castle setting with a lord watching over him , then he is probably safe. But the rest of the inhabitants seem more and more lord of the flies.

Archived