Robert's possible bastards

Golden Lady

In that case I doubt we will ever get an actual count of how many he has fathered. We just have to take Maggy's word on the subject.

There is someone who knows all 16. Varys. Varys, we know, was given orders to take care of the bastards - and he sent Edric gifts (and Mya gifts, I think?). He placed Gendry in the care of Tobho Mott, paying his apprentice fee and later shifting him out of King's Landing by taking him to Yoren. Perhaps he doesn't do things for all the living bastards, but I bet he knows who they are and has tried to keep tabs on them.

Why? because Varys, in the end, knows the power of blood magic - and he hides little caches of "king's blood" wherever he can. This habit is one way to explain why he keeps tabs on the Targaryen children's whereabout (f?Aegon, Viserys, Daenerys). And since he himself might have been cut as a Blackfyre/Brightflame Targaryen for his own king's blood, he knows this is no joke.

But tell me about Barsena Blackhair. The name, "Bar-" and the black hair, of course - but is there any other clue? If she was a Baratheon bastard, perhaps Drogon's roasting her and eating her was enacting a revenge by teh Dragons on the usurper???

There is someone who knows all 16. Varys. Varys, we know, was given orders to take care of the bastards - and he sent Edric gifts (and Mya gifts, I think?). He placed Gendry in the care of Tobho Mott, paying his apprentice fee and later shifting him out of King's Landing by taking him to Yoren. Perhaps he doesn't do things for all the living bastards, but I bet he knows who they are and has tried to keep tabs on them.

He doesn't know all 16. He definitely doesn't know about Bella, or maybe he could have helped her somehow. Gendry's existence might have been known because Robert was probably not very discreet about his escapades. As far as I remember, his mother wasn't a prostitute: the King visits a random woman in a tavern, a little bird returns to see a belly and few months later, the kid is born looking like the King, then it's kind of obvious.

But tell me about Barsena Blackhair. The name, "Bar-" and the black hair, of course - but is there any other clue? If she was a Baratheon bastard, perhaps Drogon's roasting her and eating her was enacting a revenge by teh Dragons on the usurper???

Barsena Blackhair was a woman in her 30s, and Robert was 36.

Robert might have fathered one on his Estermont cousin when he visited Greenstone in the early years of his reign. Cersei remembers Robert "playing" with his cousin while there, which inspired her to conceive Joff with Jaime.

Interesting.

The Golden Company has already taken Estermont, IICR, so, they probably could find the bastard, if such bastard exists.

• 11 months later...

We know, from Maggy the frog's prophecy, that Robert had " six and ten " children. So far, we've only knew 7 (correct me if i'm wrong) : Gendry,Mya,Barra,two unnamed twins,Bella and Edric. There are plenty left.

Who do you think can be a possbile bastard? Someone we already know?

Many believe that Russell Merryweather is one of them.

I'm really interested in this question myself.  I've been wondering who the 2nd bastard is.  If the valonqar might be one of Robert's bastards. 

Most of Robert's identified bastards were not the children of whores, they were mostly the children of servants or other women that maybe don't sleep with so many men that anybody around them would doubt the paternatity of her children.

Even Barra falls into that pattern, a her mother was a virgin before Robert. We only know Bella as the daughter of a woman who would have slept with enough man for there to by a doubt about who was the father. If Bella didn't look so much like a Baratheon all we would have to go on is her mother's wishful thinking that her child was fathered by the dashing warrior king rather than a common black-haired soldier.

Robert must have fathered some of his other children by whores, but if the women don't add up dates so well, or have a lot of black-haired customers, or if the children have not grown up to look so much like Robert, they might not have realised he was the father.

• 6 months later...

Archived