How far along is GRRM on WOW?

WardenOfTheNorth

In theory, the writing should be coming quicker as we get closer to the endgame. In theory, GRRM should be getting to the point where all the loose story threads start tying together to some extent. Otherwise, if he has to think too much about what's happening from here on out then I'm afriad we're in for a jumbled mess in these last two books, with tons of unresolved or quickly dismissed story threads. Like a literary version of what happened to Lost (I'm going to start returning to that one as a potential comparison: Amazing start, builds up to something special, goes off the rails a bit in the middle, and then recovers for a remarkable ending, albeit one that totally left a lot of questions unanswered).

I believe the last update was 400 pages in draft form, 200 of which are considered finished. This being reported several months ago. I think the last time he gave an update, it was safe to assume he was behind on what most consider his "regular and usual" pace. I also believe he started working on Winds later than he initially anticipated.

ExileOnDaytonStreet I'll see your Lost analogy and raise you a Battlestar Galactica. I'm quoting myself from the AFFC and ADWD were not that bad thread.

"I think I would've had a much higher opinion of Dance if they hadn't cut the battle/battles from the end, there would at least have been some action to justify the 600 odd pages of people doing nothing. The decision to cut it must've IMO only been made to meet the publishing date, any other explanation defies belief. Hell I'm amazed they let that piece of information become public knowledge, it's right up there with the BSG douche bag admitting the Cylons never had a plan.

The glacial speed George writes at, 87000 words a year according to Anne (P45's in the post) Groell , that's about 8 chapters, and his new deal with HBO has me convinced he'll never finish it."

Can't remember where I read that but if you google Anne Groell Dance With Dragons Interview it should be easy to find.

I wouldn't believe anything about completed pages, for all we know he's got his font size set to 72.

In theory, the writing should be coming quicker as we get closer to the endgame. In theory, GRRM should be getting to the point where all the loose story threads start tying together to some extent. Otherwise, if he has to think too much about what's happening from here on out then I'm afriad we're in for a jumbled mess in these last two books, with tons of unresolved or quickly dismissed story threads. Like a literary version of what happened to Lost (I'm going to start returning to that one as a potential comparison: Amazing start, builds up to something special, goes off the rails a bit in the middle, and then recovers for a remarkable ending, albeit one that totally left a lot of questions unanswered).

I hope you are right in theory, but without the lost comparison. If it ends as badly as lost GRRM will be sobbing into his pints over how he missed the opportunity to write his greatest work. Lost is always in my mind when i think of the worst thing that can happen

I think GRRM will surprise everyone and have TWOW on shelves before 2014 is out.

I think the writing will be much easier for him now that he will be through the Meereenese Knot and all those story rewrites he had to struggle through with AFFC and ADWD.

didnt he knock out the earlier books in 3 years? I expect winds in 2014.

true. and he doesnt have to worry about screwed up timeskip rewrites, book splitting and all that other crap.

I believe the last update was 400 pages in draft form, 200 of which are considered finished. This being reported several months ago. I think the last time he gave an update, it was safe to assume he was behind on what most consider his "regular and usual" pace. I also believe he started working on Winds later than he initially anticipated.

AFFC was copyrighted 2005 with about 683 pages.

ADWD was copyrighted 2011 with about 959 pages.

TWOW should be here by 2015/16 with about 800 pages, is my guess.

The three out-of-print Dunk and Egg prequel novellas badly need to be back in print.

GRRM says he will write a fourth D&A, then publish them altogether in one volume.

I hope and expect he will do this first, as it is physically and psychologically much easier that the writing of TWOW.

Respectfully submitted,

Steve

Don't know if it was mentioned in this thread but GRRM was a fan of Lost and has referenced the series conclusion as making nervous that he'll screw up the ending of ASOIAF.

Martin knows what it’s like to be provoked by a serial entertainment. He experienced it himself as a faithful viewer of “Lost,” the ABC adventure series about a group of castaways trapped on a mysterious island. “I kept watching it and I was fascinated,” he recalls. “They’d introduce these things and I thought that I knew where it was going. Then they’d introduce some other thing and I’d rethink it.”

Like many “Lost” fans, Martin resented the series’s mystical ending, which left dozens of narrative threads dangling. “We watched it every week trying to figure it out, and as it got deeper and deeper I kept saying, ‘They better have something good in mind for the end. This end better pay off here.’ And then I felt so cheated when we got to the conclusion.”

“I don’t want to come across as a whiner or a complainer,” Martin said, as tinted light from the afternoon sun filtered through the stained-glass windows. “No! I’m living the dream here. I have all of these readers who are waiting on the book. I want to give them something terrific.” There was a pause. “What if I fuck it up at the end? What if I do a ‘Lost’? Then they’ll come after me with pitchforks and torches.”

http://www.newyorker...r#ixzz2NXzSEYX1

AFFC was copyrighted 2005 with about 683 pages.

ADWD was copyrighted 2011 with about 959 pages.

TWOW should be here by 2015/16 with about 800 pages, is my guess.

The three out-of-print Dunk and Egg prequel novellas badly need to be back in print.

GRRM says he will write a fourth D&A, then publish them altogether in one volume.

I hope and expect he will do this first, as it is physically and psychologically much easier that the writing of TWOW.

Respectfully submitted,

Steve

Well regarding the amount of pages TWoW will contain, I'm pretty sure GRRM has stated that both it and ADoS will be as big as ADwD. I think the quote he gave was 1,800 manuscript pages, but that was several years ago, so maybe that has changed.

I can't help but think the show will put pressure on him to speed it up. If the books aren't done by the time the show catches up (I'm not doing the math but i know it's likely) they'll either have to stall the show with fluff or finish the show before the books, both of which would be a disaster.

Archived