Randyll Tarly is an terrible commander

The Frost Wolf

Thanks, captain. So Tallhart decided No retreat No surrender and let his men all die cause Roose Bolton said so?

He tried to retreat after the battle. And as you said Randyll probably has more riders than the Northmen. Tallhart is not going to just retreat before fighting against what he thought were Robb's orders. The riders would follow his retreat and do him serious damage.

Yeah, yeah, you're right. Sorry about that. Getting a little frustrated that's all.

And it was the condescending which annoyed me first off

We all get frustrated when our theories are being dismisse by others. Everyone has been in your place at least once, I know I have. But frustration will lead you nowhere. And condescending isn`t insulting. There is a great difference there. At last, we can only agree to disagree, and politely disregard each other`s opinion. It`s better than calling anyone idiot or troll.

Just out of curiosity, compared to what men exactly? And, for the record, I have never said he is the Great Commander of Westeros

Many other people have. He shows competence in command. But he doesnt have the brilliance in command of Robb Stark, the versatility of Stannis to command in so many different situations, the bravery of Robert Baratheon etc etc. And before anyone says it-yes Randyll beat Robert, but it doesnt make him the better commander. Overall hes in perhaps the top seven of Westeros going imo:

Stannis

Robb

Ned

Robert

Tywin

Randyll

Jaime

The most of the great lords of the Westeros sees him as a great commander and respects him. He hasn't got a large army, he is not a great diplomat but everyone fears and respects him. If he is not a good commander why would people care him?

When has anyone ever called him a great commander in Westeros? Hes a great soldier-difference

It is one thing to say he may not be a great commander but to say he is "terrible" is almost in itself trolling.

Seriously look at the comments. His/her use of the word terrible is for effect, and going against those who call him the greatest. Its been said a few times already

I'm with the OP somewhat. True Tarly did win at Ashford and Duskendale so he can't be terrible, but neither are they significant enough battles or victories to label him a "great" commander.

His reputation comes only from what other characters say about him, when / if we see him leading a force we will be able to judge better.

If anything,his position near the top of the great commanders lists - after 2 victories - just shows how lacking Westeros is in "great" military leadership.

This. Tarly isn't a disaster, but to me he is clearly very overrated by some people. He hasn't done anything to be called great.

He tried to retreat after the battle. And as you said Randyll probably has more riders than the Northmen. Tallhart is not going to just retreat before fighting against what he thought were Robb's orders. The riders would follow his retreat and do him serious damage.

Wouldn't he? Was the ground near Duskendale so favourable that he chose to die there rather than closer to the Riverlands and potential aid? I don't think Tarly would have pursued him that far, he would suspect a trap and Tallhart could attempt to get help. I'm sure he had some riders and could have sent one back to get some help. This is getting a little too speculative though, perhaps we should leave it.

Seriously look at the comments. His/her use of the word terrible is for effect, and going against those who call him the greatest. Its been said a few times already

This. Tarly isn't a disaster, but to me he is clearly very overrated by some people. He hasn't d one anything to be called great.

I must of said it on every damn page of this thread. I used it for effect. My content shows that I think he's overhyped.

Edit - Spelling

Why isn't condescension insulting?

It means you consider them inferior, below you, tis disrespectful.

We all get frustrated when our theories are being dismisse by others. Everyone has been in your place at least once, I know I have. But frustration will lead you nowhere. And condescending isn`t insulting. There is a great difference there. At last, we can only agree to disagree, and politely disregard each other`s opinion. It`s better than calling anyone idiot or troll.

Yes, it is insulting.

Didn't Hyle Hunt say that quite a few of Brienne's fake suitors died at the Blackwater. I had thought they were Tarly's men which implies he was central to the fighting.

Tarly commanded the center and saw little to no action. Garlan commanded the van and the battle. I can't recall if they were Tarly men, but the point is he had little to no impact on the battle.

Greyjoy fleet, holding Storm's End, smashing Mance at the wall. Future winner of the battle of Winterfell 2.0. What more do you want?

Dont know much about the Greyjoy fleet battle. Storms end consisted of sitting in a castle Davos was the real hero there. Smashing mance while one of my fav parts of the book. Horsed Knights fighting unexperienced wildlings with no training. similar to what you hate on Tarly for Oh And getting your army trapped in the middle of a snowstorm for months and the battle hasn't played out yet so not much to say there.

Stannis gets smashed on the Blackwater by an inferior force and he is the best? thats not a high ladder for Tarly to climb.

Haha he was just about to win the battle when the Lannister/Tyrell force took him in the rear. He retreated in good order under impossible circumstances, keeping good order and discipline. Hes won battles on land and sea. He is flexible and listens to good council. All of the named have faults but Stannis for me is still the best

Yes, it is insulting.

The first time I posted my comment I plainly thought you were wrong, but I thought since you have typed really long post about topic that interested you I should applaude on that, and then you attacked me of being condescending. I used that opportunity to fire back, and than you moved from condescening, to idiot and troll. I am sorry, but you have started this, not me. The only insulting thing I have said is that you are wrong. And I don`t mean to appologize for that.

Archived