Which position hold more power? Hand or queen?

WardenOfTheNorth

I'm pretty sure the Hand has more power. The only reason Cersei has any say at all as queen is because Joffrey is still a minor, thereby making her his Regent. If he were of age, she'd be completely powerless. Even more so once he was married to Margery who would be the offical queen.

So yes, definitely Hand.

The Queen has no power. All her power comes from the king and without his consent she can not do anything - if he decrees so the queen can be disobeyed by the lowest stable boys - she is obeyed because it's assumed the king agrees. The Hand on the other hand(no pun intended) has inherent power - once he is chosen he can rule without the direct consent of the king. I would say the Hand is more powerful.

Usually the Hand. Look at hands like Bloodraven and Tywin who have been said to have basically ruled the kingdoms, whereas the only queen that immediately comes to mind with any 'power' is Cersei - only because she is Regent to an underage king.Tyrion seems to be able to do what he wants/sees fit as Hand, ignoring Cersei and teaching Joffrey (usually with his own palm) in Tywin's stead.

One of the reasons I wish that Cersei was less batshit crazy is that I'd quite like to see what happens when a Queen Regent and a Hand of the King are at odds. I bet the Small Council meetings would be bloody fascinating

It depends. Who is the King? Who is the Queen? Who is the Hand?

:agree: I think Visenya Targaryan was more powerful than Orys Baratheon as was her sister Rhaenys The Hand has some formal power, it really depends on the King/Queen.

IMO both roles are similar to the US Vice Presidency: it depends on who the players are and their relationships.

Some Hands are like Tywin - they effectively run the kingdom. Some Hands I suspect are mere functionaries, with no discretion in how they carry out the King's wishes.

Some Queens are treated like little more than high born brood mares. Some control their husbands, either via personal control or their own independent political power.

:agree: I think Visenya Targaryan was more powerful than Orys Baratheon as was her sister Rhaenys The Hand has some formal power, it really depends on the King/Queen.

Some Queens are treated like little more than high born brood mares. Some control their husbands, either via personal control or their own independent political power.

You two have given me a brilliant mental image! I'm now imagining Visenya and Rhaenys complaining to Aegon about things.

Visenya - "I told you two months ago to conquer Dorne. Have you done it? I told you I wanted Dorne!"

Aegon I - "Yes dear"

The Hand without any doubt. The Queen has no powers.

In practice we see Hands with power in general as a rule; and queens with power as well Aegon's sisters.

But we've only seen Hands for 4 kings - and three are practically the archtypes for the strong Hand/weak Queen situation:

Aerys - disinterested in actual administration; raped his wife

Robert - ditto

Joffrey - a boy, abusive to his betrothed, uninterested in actual administration

Tommen's queen is Margery Tyrell. Anyone want to argue she was less powerful than Orton Merryweather or Haras Swyft?

Royal marriages are marriages, and even in our own highly patriarchal periods royal marriages are sometimes dominated by wives.

The Hand officially has more power, they are the one who rules in place of the King when needed.

However, as others have pointed out, with a strong Queen and a weak King or one that takes his Queen's counsel seriously, who's to say.

That depends on what kind of Queen one is referring to: a Queen Regnant or a Queen Consort.

A Queen Regnant has as Sovereign, of course, officially more power than the Hand. A Queen Consort could also be very powerful if she rules her husband.

Archived