Davos will switch!

Well what is Mel referring to when she says she doesnt doubt Davos' loyalty to Stannis, because of what she had seen in the flames. She could definitely be misinterpreting what she saw, but I assumed this meant he would return with Rickon for Stannis.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah burning people to appease a god. great idea. Davos made Stannis what he is...ALIVE!! once again i'll state that Stannis is clearly insane and if you believe considering burning your brothers bastard a sane thing to do, then im worried for you.

HOW DARE YOU SPEAK ILL OF THE ONE TRUE KING OF WESTEROS............ His Grace will have your head for this.

Stannis may not win the Iron Throne in the end but I think he will survive, davos may survive as well, and Stannis has not been setup as a bad guy nor will he turn evil, he's a hard man but just, the north will support Stannis to rid themselves of Boltons/Freys. Stannis will help restoring house stark in the north.

Hey, look, someone in the thread with common sense!

Davos won't ever switch and Stannis won't ever even think of harming Rickon, he almost - in his way - begged Jon Snow to be able put a Stark in charge of WF, once he has the opportunity to have a Stark there he'll just be pleased. Davos will bring his king the true key to the north, after that the north will accept him totally. I can never think of Mandarley fooling Stannis, I guess in the end we'll see Stannis on the IT, once again the alliance Stark-Baratheon will prevail. Jon and Dany, will help the world of men to survive in the conflict between the forces of nature and sacrifice themselves for that. Here is your Song of Ice and Fire and there is your bittersweet ending...

Davos won't ever switch and Stannis won't ever even think of harming Rickon, he almost - in his way - begged Jon Snow to be able put a Stark in charge of WF, once he has the opportunity to have a Stark there he'll just be pleased. Davos will bring his king the true key to the north, after that the north will accept him totally. I can never think of Mandarley fooling Stannis, I guess in the end we'll see Stannis on the IT, once again the alliance Stark-Baratheon will prevail. Jon and Dany, will help the world of men to survive in the conflict between the forces of nature and sacrifice themselves for that. Here is your Song of Ice and Fire and there is your bittersweet ending...

Like-button wanted!

I'm reading to unbelievable thing on this thread.

Why would Davos betray Stannis now? Davos supports him because, while he is harsh, he is just. He is the true King of Westeros. He has also raised Davos to Hand of the King. It makes no sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now I can't believe some of the things I'm seeing on Stannis. He isn't evil nor is he a hypocrite. What he is, is uncompromising and hard as nails. When has Stannis been hypocritcal? When has he been needlessly cruel? Everyone know what they are getting when dealing with Stannis Baratheon. There is no lying in him. You can't say that for any of the other pretenders. This man saved the Wall, he could save the north, and could potentialy save the realm. Only fools can't see past his harshness.

There is nothing Stannis would ask his men to do that he wouldn't ask himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As for Rickon why do we assume he is going to be this nice kid. He has lost his parents, been driven from his home, surrounded by death, and is now growing up on Skagos. When Davos gets to him he is going to find and angry blood thirsty boy driven by emotion. Mark my words this is going to be a problem for the North and for Jon when it turns out Rickon is a Joffrey like figure.

Knowing Stannis I could see this happening, and knowing Mel she will probably want to burn him for kings blood and we will have a possible clash.

There's a very interesting aspect to that clash. If Melisandre wants to burn Rickon because he has the blood of kings this will have to be her argument. "The Starks were kings in the north for 8,000 years, and only bent the knee when confronted with the power of insane dragon-riders. Did they really bend the knee to the Targaryens, or to the dragons? Anyway it doesn't matter - the blood is still the blood." I doubt if Stannis would be willing to accept that argument because it goes against his central 'rightful king by law' premise. It could put him into a different kind of conflict with Mel than just the desire to save an innocent boy out of compassion.

Stannis is batty as a box of frogs so sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up killing Davos.

Then again IMO Davos is creepy in his extremist devotion to Stannis. I wouldn't be too fond of a guy who cut my fingers off as a punishment for saving his life. (Which it essentially was. If he hadn't smuggled, they would have starved.)

How Stannis' mind works really is a mystery to me.

To me as well. If Westeros had a psychiatric profession they'd all be engaged full time on trying to figure out this complex individual.

... Oh, and BTW, could you please point out Robert's friends apart from Ned? Jon was a fatherlike figure for him so he doesn't count. Renly's only friend is Loras who is gay at him, so that counts only by half. Rob was betrayed by theon, awesome friend!

Everyone in the novels on a certain position of power has men loyal to him, but not many friends, Ned couldn't save Robert, Ned died alone, Renly and loras stuck together yes, Rob died with loyal men around him, but not with his friends. No man was helped by his friends as much as Stannis.

I SO agree with you on that point. Robert was the worst friend a man could have and Ned was an idiot not to realize it. The only reason Robert and Eddard were friends is that they were thrown together as children and grew up together. I went into that in greater detail on another post recently. I think Robert was a classic GRRM bait-and-switch character. When you first hear of him he's presented as 'one of the good guys' but then as the details and history become apparent, you realize he's a selfish drunken lout.

If you are winning and people are shouting your name, that doesn't make them friends!

You mean like, "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!" ?

I suppose the blue part is your text, because I don't think it's mine, wanted to react on the last blue line:

'Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!' is loved by me not because those men are his friends, but because it's an awesome part of being a good king/commander that Stan deserves and he receives it the first time in his life- assumption- so I'm glad for him.

Before Davos comes back according to the last stannis chapter(may be WOW chapter)Stannis is going to deal with Theon at the Godswood,I reckon Stannis is gonna have some faith issues there as Theon could hear Bran presumably,Asha seems to believe this it would seem.

I think Stannis is mega and I dont think hes nuts though hes having to deal with some of his actions,Killing Renley ect,love the bit where Stannis actaully laughs at Davos because he doesnt feed him bullshit like all the Lords ect.

Oshas wild as is Rickon so that should prove interesting too.

Andrew

davos leave stannis' side?

never!

davos has repeatedly stated all he has was given to him by stannis. i think davos will go down with his king, even if realizes the folly of it all. he won't abandon stannis.

I think Davos will one day be the one who has to kill Stannis, just because their friendship/Davos' loyalty have been built up to such a degree.

Brilliant idea! Stannis believes in justice above all else. So when he through either Mel's persuasion or otherwise commits some atrocious act (insert your betrayed by the northern conspiracy causing a despairate move or another shadowbaby killing an innocent or Mel changing her mind to proclaim Jon as AA theories here) he will ask Davos himself to serve justice upon him. That would be a worthy end to a character like Stannis. Show the readers that the fight for power corrupts even the very just, but redeeming Stannis in the end to offer him a death worthy of his own beliefs.

And who better that Davos to serve justice upon Stannis.

• 1 month later...

did any of you see this interview with Liam Cunningham who plays Davos on the show

when asked did he feel that Davos would become power hungry himself , Liam answered with an anecdote of meeting GRRM for the first time and George telling him he was half way through the sixth book and he told him some spoiler for the Davos character and it was "pretty cool" as Liam put it. I found it interesting that he answered that question with that story.I really feel the theory that Davos will support Rickon over stannis holds a lot of water now.

Davos is obviously going to have a lot of time with Rickon. He will have bonded with the child, and since direwolves have an ability to see whether people want to help or kill their owners, Shaggy will somehow know what Davos will do before Davos. That means Davos will be loyal to Rickon, and will likely support Rickon if it comes to a disagreement.

Archived