New Ratings Record for the Premiere

Westeros

I agree - the faux deaths turned me off the books somewhat. Youre also forgetting the faux death of Kat, Brienne, Beric Dondarrion, The Hound maybe not dead and The Mountain appears to turn up in ADWD. No doubt Jon will come back to life. People get rezzed in these books likes its World of Warcraft!

This is how Winds of Winter ends .%7Boption%7Dhttp://uk.images.sea...fp-t-702-s[/img]

I think people make too much of these faux deaths.

Beric reappears in the same scene that he "dies," does he not? We hear many times that he has died, but we also hear stories that he is alive. It's handled in a way that leaves the reader unsure what to believe, and I really liked that about the whole Beric story line. It's not until we meet Beric that we understand the stories about both his death and him still being alive were both true, and that's part of what makes the reveal so great.

Also, I would consider Cat to be a poor example. She does come back from death, but she is a totally different character driven only by revenge. The Mountain is similar. He is most certainly dead, and the people of Dorne likely have his head. The "Mountain" that we see in book five is almost certainly the result of necromancy and headless. He's not the same character.

As for Brienne, we never see her die. Her hanging is what we commonly refer to as a cliffhanger. She's left in a precarious situation and her fate is left uncertain. The same goes for the Hound and, to a different extent, Davos. The Hound is left to die, but he doesn't die on page, which means we can't be completely sure he's actually dead. Davos, on the other hand, was said to have been dead, but as we know you can't trust everything you hear, and in fact most people predicted that Davos lived on.

By my count, thus far the only people who have actually died and then been subsequently resurrected are Cat, Beric, and the Mountain. Cat and Beric were both products of the Red God still having a mission for them, and the Mountain was the product of Qyburn's necromancy. The rest were either never dead to begin with or, in the Hound's case, may not even be alive.

The Hound is left to die, but he doesn't die on page, which means we can't be completely sure he's actually dead. [...] or, in the Hound's case, may not even be alive.

Possible spoiler regarding Sandor Clegane...

It is a pretty much generally accepted among book readers that the Hound is still alive. Remember the very big "grave digger" on the Quiet Isle in AFFC who limped so badly and scratched the dog's ears? Sandor's horse in the stable? That can be led and handled only by him? How the Elder Brother keeps saying "the Hound is dead" but never says Sandor Clegane is dead, only that he is "at peace"?

Possible spoiler regarding Sandor Clegane...

It is a pretty much generally accepted among book readers that the Hound is still alive. Remember the very big "grave digger" on the Quiet Isle in AFFC who limped so badly and scratched the dog's ears? Sandor's horse in the stable? That can be led and handled only by him? How the Elder Brother keeps saying "the Hound is dead" but never says Sandor Clegane is dead, only that he is "at peace"?

Oh, I am fully aware of the gravedigger, and I believe he was Clegane. I was just saying that there is no guarantee there. And regardless, it's not as if we saw him die. There was no Red God or other magic involved. He was just saved before he died (assuming he is in fact alive, which is not certain yet).

• 4 weeks later...

Smashing records like it's 1999

http://winteriscomin...on-mark-broken/

The fifth episode of Game of Thrones on Sunday reached an astounding 5.3 million viewers during the initial airing, Hibberd reports.

UPDATE: He goes to add that the season up to now is averaging a record 13.4 million viewers per episode across all platforms!

TV by the Numbers now has the detailed rankings: 5.35 million at 9 PM (2.8 demo) and another 1.32 million at the 11 PM repeat! 6.67 million all told. The show left all NBA playoffs far behind.

Hear Me Roar: Wow, just wow. The numbers are rising faster and higher than we expected.

• 11 months later...

Seven million or higher would be a very, very good thing for the show-the higher the ratings, (and dvd and itunes sales) the more willing HBO will be to keep the budget numbers generous, (which we need for future sequences,) and also increases the odds of if not getting an extra season, than at least extra episodes for D&D to wind things up satisfactorily.

Archived