Anime IV - new SUMMER animu and guff

jurble

Yowamushi Pedal (an otaku turning bicycle racer) has kind of blown me away with how invested I get into the episodes. Every single episode leaves me in emotional pain sympathizing with the main character, and saying "what the hell, over already?"

I've no interest in sports anime, so the only thing more surprising than my decision to try Yowamushi Pedal was how quickly I was hooked. I caught up to the most recent episode before I knew it and then was pissed to see that it was a week's wait for the next.

I've no interest in sports anime, so the only thing more surprising than my decision to try Yowamushi Pedal was how quickly I was hooked. I caught up to the most recent episode before I knew it and then was pissed to see that it was a week's wait for the next.

Glad you enjoy it.

Episode 7 of Samurai Flamenco will probably win my WTF award for this season. Jazzed to see how the rest of it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked up the TV Tropes page for Attack on Titan after not particularly being drawn into the anime after the first few episodes. That sounds almost suicidally depressing to read/watch, beyond even Warhammer 40K levels.

EDIT: Never mind, I got myself to watch more of it.

Attack on Titan is actually pretty tame in the emotional devastation department by anime standards (what with series like Saikano, Bokurano, Chrono Crusade, Grave of the Fireflies, Berserk, Texhnolyze, etc.). When people talk about how grim, bleak, depressing and hardhitting ASOIAF is, having watched my fair share of anime, I want to laugh and laugh.

Attack on Titan has a bit of an ASOIAF feel, at least where the Wall storyline and Jon/Eren are concerned:

-bigass wall keeping out the terrifying, inhuman baddies

-Jon/Eren wanting to join the NW/Survey Corps despite it being a hard, dangerous life

-Jon/Eren dreaming of the glamour of the NW/Survey Corps only to be smacked in the face with the horrible reality

-Jon/Eren being hot-tempered and having an intelligent, bookish BFF (Armin/Sam)

-warnings of doom from the Night's Watch/Survey Corps that go ignored by the fatcats in charge, etc. etc.

There's also a Fullmetal Alchemist feel to Attack on Titan (steampunk feel, everyone has European names, most of the main cast are in the military, etc.).

It's... Weird. It's obvously (and self consciously) a "sell toys" thing, coupled with a pseud-sports tournament format, and more Gundam references than you can shake a stick at.

It's odd, I'm enjoying it, but I can't say I can recommend it to anyone.

It's... Weird. It's obvously (and self consciously) a "sell toys" thing, coupled with a pseud-sports tournament format, and more Gundam references than you can shake a stick at.

It's odd, I'm enjoying it, but I can't say I can recommend it to anyone.

Well Gundam was always about selling Gunpla, but I'm kinda interested cause I saw a clip where they have a Hyaku Shiki in IRONMAN colors, and the G Savior made an appearance !

It is an Angelic Layer copy with a ton of Gundam References.

Oh, and Valvrave has gone totally loopy. Awesome :P

I've missed the last two or three Valvraves and will probably need to just power-watch the rest of the season when it ends. Is it a good loopy, or a jump the shark (if that's even fricken possible in this show) loopy?

It's a step up from them making most non UC Gundam series close parallels to the UC series.

I'm totally a gundam noob. I never watched any of the gundams other than a few episodes of one of the originals when it was more military and less super powered angst-ridden teens.

I've missed the last two or three Valvraves and will probably need to just power-watch the rest of the season when it ends. Is it a good loopy, or a jump the shark (if that's even fricken possible in this show) loopy?

Well, it's more "End of season 1 of Code Geass" loopy.

Archived