Anime IV - new SUMMER animu and guff

jurble

So, decided to watch Samurai Flemenco. I really enjoyed episodes 1-6. I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed episode 7 with its twist.

But every episode so far since, hasn't gone in the direction I thought it would.

I was expecting a really dark 'what if evil monsters were real and there were no actual super-powered heroes'-type thing. Guillotine Gorilla killed so many people, but the rest of the monsters were jokes, and the show made it obvious this was intentional.

But it hasn't explained why, and watching boring harmless villains is boring.

I saw last night's episode, and it didn't seem to be explained.

They exploded to spread the cells everywhere, but I don't see why they couldn't have been as violent as the gorilla. Was the point so the public just ignored them? I don't get why that would be necessary.

I do like the theory that his 'master''s various world travels have actually been superhero missions, and that Red Axe is real. Shit would be hilarious.

It'd be even funnier if it turns out that Japan now thinks Samurai Flamenco was now some sort of internet-viral-new-century TV action hero campaign and not real. And the joke would be that Red Axe was also real, the episodes were documentaries or something stupid.

Perhaps it only works in my head...

I see Gorilla as an announcement, so I consider him an outlier. I assume the others weren't as dangerous as they could be because King Torture needed a final showdown with Samumenco and making them as dangerous as Gorilla would have landed Hazama in the hospital or a coffin or else would have forced the government to take the matter out of the police department's hands and bring in a more capable force to deal with the threat. Instead, they act as stepping stones leading Samumenco toward his showdown with King Torture, giving him experience and upgrades along the way, and scatter the cells around the city.

What shows are you guys looking forward to when the next season comes around?

There are only a few that immediately catch my interest, but even so, the interest isn't that strong.

I'll definitely make a point to check out Tonari no Seki-kun, Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta, Pupa, and possibly Hoozuki no Reitetsu. If I get bored or the reviews are good, I might end up sampling Mahou Sensou, D-Frag!, Nobunaga the Fool, Noragami, Space Dandy, and Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha.

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo.... Seitokai Yakuindemo still has two jokes A) The girls say something sexual B) Short girl is short.

It's still funny.

Nobunaga the Fool: So.. Nobunaga and Jeanne d'Arc with mechas? Yes. Seriouly. And King Arthur. And apparently Leonardo da Vinci speaks through a trombone. There's also tarot motifs.

Buddy Complex: Looks like a mecha show with time travel shenanigans.

Space Dandy: Is.... Something all right. Although the villain seeminly having a base in the decapitated head of the Statue of Liberty is cool.

ImoChou: First episode features lesbian ghost-rape. That I think is a new low even for incest-fetish shows. I'm almost considering watching it just to see how bad it gets. Almost.

Noragami: Okay, this seems vaguely amusing. Girl smites evil spirits with her faith in an MMA-fighter.

Tonari no Seki-kun: The premise seems fun, bt I guess it all depends on how much they can vary t?

I had no intention of doing so, but ended up watching Seitokai Yakuindemo because I was bored. The description didn't prepare me for the whatthefuckery that ensued. I still haven't decided if I want to continue or pretend I never saw it.

I was looking forward to Tonari no Seki-kun but ended up sleeping through the episode, so I'll have to revisit it.

I'm most looking forward to Hamatora, The Pilot's Love Song, and Strange+.

I like how someone described Nobunaga the Fool as a Civ 5 game where someone forgot to upgrade their medieval infantry in the future era.

edit: Skipped through various anime. Definitely sticking around for Noragami ep. 2.

Holy crap Nobanagun is amazing. Why does it look so much like Soul Eater, tho?

Hamatora - Lots of potential. I like the vibrant colors and the action looks good, even if the actual fighting looks a tad dull. The cast is a bit generic, but they play well enough off of one another that I am not going to bother being concerned after only one episode. I do worry a bit at the infodumping, especially the attempt by the episode baddie to give his minimum a name since named techniques, especially something so rare (apparently) as these powers, are fucking grating.

Noragami - I'm interested enough to keep following it despite it being on Funimation, where the player only works when it wants to or is just ad-fucked Hulu in a smaller frame. It was amusing and the dark undertone is promising. I'm hoping that Hiyori's lost body won't be used as a running joke.

Nobanagun - Hadn't planned to watch this one because the synopsis inspired thoughts of non-stop infodumping, but it turned out to be pretty good. Got to love that wicked grin when she's encouraged to unleash hell.

Nobunaga the Fool - I had planned to watch this one, but ended up having no desire to see anymore of it. There was nothing here that interested me enough to keep going.

The Pilot's Love Song - I was about to say that nothing really happened in the first episode, but it just felt that way. Actually, there was quite a bit of set up involving mysterious pasts, romance, weird stalker dudes, and a likely terrible future. Quite liked it.

Tonari no Seki-kun - Returned to this one after falling asleep the first time and had a few laughs. Seven minutes or so isn't really a huge commitment, so I will probably keep going as long as it stays amusing. A lack of variation could cause this to stagnate and lose what charm it has.

Space Dandy - I fell asleep about halfway through (I don't sleep much or well and am prone to nodding off, so this happens more than I like) so this is another one that I am going to have to revisit. However, I will admit that I don't really want to since there was nothing appealing in that first half.

I do not watch as much anime as I once did, but I watched some over the holidays, and I was pleasantly surprised. If these have been talked about already, then forgive me.

Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood): I could not get into the the first iteration of the series. I'm not sure why exactly, but it just did not grab me like Brotherhood did.

Spice and Wolf: It's a cute anime. It follows the story of a Medieval peddler who takes on an ancient wolf goddess in human form as his traveling companion. It seems to be a different spin of the "magical girlfriend" genre, if only tangentially related, but Holo the Wise Wolf is far more independent and cunning not to mention far less domestic than her counterparts on other "magical girlfriend" type shows (Oh My Goddess, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, etc.). Plus her "magic" is limited to her just turning back and forth into a wolf. More importantly, I'm fairly certain that this anime, based on a series of light novels, exists just so that the writer could talk about Medieval European trade and economics (not that I mind). Most of the plots revolve around trading ventures involving things like guilds and trade companies, buying on credit, currency exchange and depreciation, market crashes, etc.

I got Trigun and Baccano for Christmas.

I liked Trigun but my main problem with it was the huge shift in tone after we got the backstory on who Vash the stampede was. Oh great Caine and Able in space haven't seen that before. When it worked it worked really well.

Baccano I can't recommend enough I think Issac and Miriam are my two favorite charecters out of all the anime I have seen in recent memory. Ladd Russo gets a mention even though I don't go for psychopath all that much. The I liked that its narrative structure was like a Quentin Tarantino. It really has it all supernatural, humor and hyper violence.

Found a series called "Saki, featuring mahjong and not-even-bother-to-hide-it boobs ogling, complete with forced plot twists to make the characters go into bathing suits and taking dips in onsen. But, I watch it for the mahjong. It follows the trope of many of the sports series, with rival groups and team spirits and all that.

Also found Natsume Yojin-cho. Two seasons of it. I enjoyed it greatly. It's slow paced, gentle, and very touching without going emo. It features yokai's but it is not the typical demon-slaying trope. It's a very good series.

Found a series called "Saki, featuring mahjong and not-even-bother-to-hide-it boobs ogling, complete with forced plot twists to make the characters go into bathing suits and taking dips in onsen. But, I watch it for the mahjong. It follows the trope of many of the sports series, with rival groups and team spirits and all that.

To quote the tvtropes thread: "Saki: Aka. Lesbians playing Mahjong."

EDIT: Also "There is no indication that underwear exists in this universe."

Archived