[BOOK SPOILERS] What Does the Future Hold for Shae?

Woftis

Tyrion absolutely was the one deceiving himself regarding the depth of Shae's feelings toward him; she was just doing her job there. She didn't deserve death for that.

People who think she deserve to die would mostly be going from her seeming betrayal of Tyrion and condemning/humiliating him at trial. Granted, we don't really know all the circumstances of that, but Cersei's POV afterward made it sound like she just took a bribe. I expect the show is going to take a much more sympathetic view of her situation.

I agree, although I think it would be a major WTF moment if they kept her doing the deed with Tywin. I would go so far as to say its a major character moment for both of them, as from that small scene, we basically get a great view of both characters.

With Tywin we learn he is hypocritical and basically is all about appearences.

And for Shae we can deduce that the whole, 'my Lion of Lannister, my giant' is an act, which seems obvious, but in TV land at least they sort of seem to be angling after a deeper connection on both sides.

Putting aside how she felt about Tyrion in the books while they were together, she perjured herself in order to condemn Tyrion to death. Some might say she deserved death for that (or at least a vengeful act on Tyrion's behalf). And she also fell into bed with Tyrion's father, who he despised. So there's an intense level of betrayal going on there regardless of whether she loved Tyrion or not.

Perjury = death thats a bit harsh! Lol. I don't think Tyrion is even that bothered when it happens if I remember correctly, although by that point he is probably beyond caring about anything except saving his neck.

I still think Tyrion killing Shae gets too much of a pass. Its really nasty IMO. So what if she is sleeping with daddy Tywin, hell she could be servicing Bronn, Pod, Jaime, Joffrey and all the Gold Cloaks and the fact is ... she's a whore who never pretends to not be one.

Its Tyrion who builds up the fantasy of her, that's on him.

They aren't married, he doesn't own her, so killing her is a really terrible thing IMO. Sure there are more terrible crimes in Westeros, but why its so bad for me is because, like I keep repeating, alot of Tyrion fans justify it or simply ignore it as black mark against their beloved dwarf.

Putting aside how she felt about Tyrion in the books while they were together, she perjured herself in order to condemn Tyrion to death. Some might say she deserved death for that (or at least a vengeful act on Tyrion's behalf). And she also fell into bed with Tyrion's father, who he despised. So there's an intense level of betrayal going on there regardless of whether she loved Tyrion or not.

Perjury to condemn him, obviously (though her testimony was more in the manner of a twist of the knife rather than the fatal blow; the non-perjured evidence against Tyrion was more than sufficient to convict him, even in a modern court). Bedding Tywin isn't a "betrayal". She's a prostitute -- being paid to have sex is what she does.

Book Shae wasn't a very sympathetic character - she expressed pretty nasty sentiments about Lollys and to a lesser extent Sansa. She served them both, and I don't remember evidence that she served either badly, but she wasn't warm or sympathetic. On the other hand, she'd had a rough life and they were rich ladies with loving families - why should she show them sympathy?

I don't think book Shae had much of a choice about testifying against Tyrion at his trial. It seemed to me that she did make a choice to humiliate him at the trial - she must have known that would please Cersei, but it seems unlikely that Cersei would manage to compel Shae to enthusiastically humiliate Tyrion.

Book Shae seemed similar to Bronn to me - people who do what they have to to get by, but they don't stick out their necks and don't expect anybody to cry over their graves, nor do they cry over anybody else's. I'm not justifying Tyrion killing her - that was a monstrous act that was about his demons, not hers - but the world wasn't a darker place with her gone. Show Shae sticks out her neck for people and brightens the world a bit. Her death has different resonances.

Book Shae wasn't a very sympathetic character - she expressed pretty nasty sentiments about Lollys and to a lesser extent Sansa. She served them both, and I don't remember evidence that she served either badly, but she wasn't warm or sympathetic. On the other hand, she'd had a rough life and they were rich ladies with loving families - why should she show them sympathy?

I don't think book Shae had much of a choice about testifying against Tyrion at his trial. It seemed to me that she did make a choice to humiliate him at the trial - she must have known that would please Cersei, but it seems unlikely that Cersei would manage to compel Shae to enthusiastically humiliate Tyrion.

Book Shae seemed similar to Bronn to me - people who do what they have to to get by, but they don't stick out their necks and don't expect anybody to cry over their graves, nor do they cry over anybody else's. I'm not justifying Tyrion killing her - that was a monstrous act that was about his demons, not hers - but the world wasn't a darker place with her gone. Show Shae sticks out her neck for people and brightens the world a bit. Her death has different resonances.

You actually make a great point here when you bring up book Bronn.

In the books he is alot less of a friend to Tyrion, and is literally a Sellsword. I think he definately enjoyed Tyrion up to a point, but it was still always about the money.

In the T.V he may say things like 'I'm a sellsword, I sell my sword, not give it out to friends for free' or something like that, but they still emphasise a bit more freindship and closeness between him and Tyrion.

So its just kinda funny to me how they have altered both these mercanary characters so that they are more Tyrion companions than in it for the money.

If this is a deliberate effort to make Tyrion even more appealing, because lets face it producers probably realised early in production Tyrion would become a fan fave, its actually a bit annoying character wise, as Tyrion having to my for friendship and companionship is one of the central components that makes the character the way he is.

I really hate that the whore Shae is portrayed in such a positive light in the show. In the books, she is a true whore, only caring about money, never about Tyrion.

The show makes out as if she is really in love with him.

I think in the end, the show Shae will betray Tyrion, but not simply because she is a whore, but because Tyrion keeps pushing her away. Then when he kills her, it will be a tragic screen moment.

Only the reasonTyrion killed her was not that she betrayed him somehow but that she twisted the knife in an extra malicious way with her "giant of Lannister" line. And topped this by repeating the line in a way that made crystal clear that she never enjoyed his presence.

But HBO Shae loved Tyrion at a time or at least cared for him. She may betray him under pressure or out of disappointment but he was not wrong in believing that she cared before.

I really hate that the whore Shae is portrayed in such a positive light in the show. In the books, she is a true whore, only caring about money, never about Tyrion.

The show makes out as if she is really in love with him.

I think in the end, the show Shae will betray Tyrion, but not simply because she is a whore, but because Tyrion keeps pushing her away. Then when he kills her, it will be a tragic screen moment.

Or they'll have her testify, but she doesnt play ball and they hang her- thus effectively removing the Shae/Tywin scene and have Tyrion kill his dad out of revenge

Archived