[BOOK SPOILERS] Pod and whores

teemo

:)

I ask; if there was more male nudity and less nudity with whores in scenes that do not advance the plot in anyway, would we be as annoyed?

No. Not at all.

No. In fact, if this were actually the case, I bet the overall topic would warrant much less discussion.

I feel like I keep saying: I'm not telling you to be quiet! and I am getting responses that say: Stop telling us to be quiet! If I wanted silence I wouldn't have engaged the thread. And I'm staying here despite being called an asshole, completely unprovoked. I wanted to make a simple point and I am at least glad that I was able to make it clear

I don't claim to have the answer, but I wonder about your point. GOT is still quite young, but imagine that at its conclusion the show remains a critical and commercial (possibly even cultural) phenom. Seems to me that it would be more likely to spawn imitators

Yes, it will spawn imitators - that's my point. But these imitators will be likely to avoid the areas where GoT was frequently criticised, including its sexist and gratuitous portrayal of female nudity.

The fact that seven minutes were spent on this scene (and at least a minute was spent on moving chairs) shows that "time constraints" are not as big a problem as D&D would like us to believe.

They explained the chairs bit in the 'inside the episode' video in a way that suggests they think they were geniuses to write it that way.

Okay, Finally scene the episode and god that scene with Pod and the Whores was so unnecessary. They are skimming over over characters and not developing them as characters, and while the gossipy details scene afterwards was funny, it really was deflecting from the plot.

Also the two naked whores were fine, but the contortionist was actually a bit too much, and a bit too in your face. Also some male nudity in a good happy way and not Theon bottom about to be raped way would be nice. Maybe a male whorehouse scene for the Blackfish?

lol, I can only imagine the reaction to that...

They explained the chairs bit in the 'inside the episode' video in a way that suggests they think they were geniuses to write it that way.

ah, those inside the episode videos are a riot....what did they think was so genius about that exactly?

I wouldn't object to a bit less whore nudity and some more male nudity. :) Or meaningful sex scenes between two important characters, ie Loras and Renly.

And I definitely agree with it taking up too much time and detracting from the plot/other characters.

I'd have liked to have seen some Bran this episode :(

Imo, I don't think more dick is the answer, lol. I would rather just do away with all the brothel stuff. The Loras and Renly stuff was good I'll agree in terms of relevance to plot. Jon and Ygritte would be good if they included it.

No. In fact, if this were actually the case, I bet the overall topic would warrant much less discussion.

Definitely. :) That's what I'm thinking.

Yes, it will spawn imitators - that's my point. But these imitators will be likely to avoid the areas where GoT was frequently criticised, including its sexist and gratuitous portrayal of female nudity.

Well, I hope so!

For some odd reason, Cersei moving the chair was great and made me laugh a lot, but I got REALLY annoyed when Tyrion did and I don't even know why? haha. Maybe my dislike for Tyrion in the latter two books is seeping into my opinion of show Tyrion which I must ''put a lid on'' :P

LOL, thanks for sharing that. If anyone ever asks why I'm so anti-D&D, I'll have to mention that.

It was a funny scene, yeah. But it could have been achieved with more dialogue, and it would have been far more interesting. There was such a great dynamic in that scene with those six actors - they could have spent much longer on that scene. But they wasted an opportunity in an attempt to demonstrate their ~genius~ minds. And people still think D&D are interested in faithfully adapting GRRM's work, but are forced to make changes due to budget and time constraints?

Imo, I don't think more dick is the answer, lol. I would rather just do away with all the brothel stuff. The Loras and Renly stuff was good I'll agree in terms of relevance to plot. Jon and Ygritte would be good if they included it.

More dick? Well this implies there has actually been an adequate amount of male nudity. Which there hasn't. :P I said If there must be nudity I'd prefer it between two important characters, or at least see a nude male and female desire. :)

'More male nudity' is not the solution imo. 'Less pointless scenes that are only created to show some naked whores and don't do anything for the plot or the characters' seems like a better solution.

Well, I suppose you both do have a point, but I think the problem is the thought behind there NOT being more male nudity. Why is is solely female? What is the reasons for this? And I think this is where the perpetuating of sexual themes argument takes root.

Seriously?!? I haven't watched those yet this season, maybe I need to. I don't even know what to think of that. :)

lol, I can only imagine the reaction to that...

Considering the reaction to Renly/Loras and the male nudity in Spartacus, I'm guess the reaction would be pretty strong. :) It'd be groundbreaking, that's for sure.

I'd love it if the show treated sex and nudity the way GRRM does in his books, actually.

LOL, thanks for sharing that. If anyone ever asks why I'm so anti-D&D, I'll have to mention that.

It was a funny scene, yeah. But it could have been achieved with more dialogue, and it would have been far more interesting. There was such a great dynamic in that scene with those six actors - they could have spent much longer on that scene. But they wasted an opportunity in an attempt to demonstrate their ~genius~ minds. And people still think D&D are interested in faithfully adapting GRRM's work, but are forced to make changes due to budget and time constraints?

It did make me chuckle too. :P

Bless them.

ah, those inside the episode videos are a riot....what did they think was so genius about that exactly?

That it 'shows the personality of all the characters'. The way those two guys talk about the show creeps me out. I respect all the hard work they've done, but sometimes they just say stuff that is plainly wrong (like completely forgetting Tywin has been Hand of the King before, saying things like 'Cersei is always one step ahead of everyone') and it's clear they rate the results of their own creation higher than the book content, as if they're the geniuses behind this whole thing. They're not. We all know who is. A more humble stance, accepting that they're merely the instruments, would do everyone a lot of good.

[mod] Please do not personalise the discussion. Posts have been removed: next time we may close this thread or take action against individuals. [/mod]

That it 'shows the personality of all the characters'. The way those two guys talk about the show creeps me out. I respect all the hard work they've done, but sometimes they just say stuff that is plainly wrong (like completely forgetting Tywin has been Hand of the King before, saying things like 'Cersei is always one step ahead of everyone') and it's clear they rate the results of their own creation higher than the book content, as if they're the geniuses behind this whole thing. They're not. We all know who is. A more humble stance, accepting that they're merely the instruments, would do everyone a lot of good.

I'm now laughing loads, thank you; I needed that :P

I actualy didn't mind this episode as much as I thought it would. It was at least well acted, funny and gave Pod some screen time. My only real complaints was that it was too long. Like the musical chairs it was a good concept, but I feel like because D+D were so busy patting themselves on the back for their "genius", they allowed things to be stretched too much.

As to whether it's sexist I don't think that on it's own it is sexist. If the show just had a few scenes were female nudity was used for titillation, and there was some male nudity for this purpose as well, then this scene would be fine. But as it is it adds to an already established trend which is very sexist.

ETA: Apologies for just jumping in with general thoughts rather than joining in the conversation, but 14 pages is a lot so I hope you'll forgive me for just chipping in with my 50 pence.

Considering the reaction to Renly/Loras and the male nudity in Spartacus, I'm guess the reaction would be pretty strong. :) It'd be groundbreaking, that's for sure.

Definitely! The Renly / Loras scene was actually affectionate and showed desire of both parties, something lacking in almost all of the other sex scenes.

I actualy didn't mind this episode as much as I thought it would. It was at least well acted, funny and gave Pod some screen time. My only real complaints was that it was too long. Like the musical chairs it was a good concept, but I feel like because D+D were so busy patting themselves on the back for their "genius", they allowed things to stretch past the point that as necessary.

As to whether it's sexist I don't think that on it's own it is sexist. If the show just had a few scenes were female nudity was used for titillation, and there was some male nudity for this purpose as well, then this scene would be fine. But as it is it adds to an already established trend which is very sexist.

This is pretty much my opinion. The show itself isn't sexist, but it perpetuating sexist themes. As you nicely put ''the already established trend''

Archived