Stark-ness

We see posters saying that this or that chracter has more Stark qualities, but what does that really mean? Usually it seems to be more or less like Ned, but looking at the family in general Ned comes off as atypical. The old Kings in the North are ferocious, not unlike the Ironborn in that respect. Rickard is politically ambitious, Brandon and Lyanna are strong-willed and impetuous. Benjen seems to have a taste for adventure. Ned is more home and family centered, with a strong sense of honor and duty.

So, who, or what, is a "typical" Stark?

What I find funny is when posters say that Sansa is lacking in "Starkness". She reminds me of Ned, and no one would say that Ned is lacking in Starkness. Unless if Ned and Sansa truly are atypical and not real Starks after all. ;)

Sansa wants to be a southerner, she wants to immerse herself in the courtly culture of King's Landing and all that. She's way more into formal stuff like knighthood and courtship, than a "proper" Northerner should be. Tully heritage.

Well, you have the point. Ned isn`t typical Stark, Kings and Lors dhe North, according to Ned, was much harsher and cruel, just as the winters were. He is also named a `quiet wolf`, comparing to obvious wilderness Lyanna and Brandon shared. But, all in all, Ned is of the North. He is strong, but not cruel, honorable, just and merciful. The funniest thing that of all his children Sansa (and Jon) is most like Ned. Arya is like Lyanna, and Rickon, I persume will be the next Brandon. As for Bran and Robb, they much more like Tullys, than Starks.

And something we always forget - their pride. 300 years have passed, and they call `King who knelt` Stark who bend his knees to Aegon the Conquerer. Sansa didn`t bend her knees to Tyrion, Robb to Lannisters, Bran and Rickon escaped Theon, Arya well she bowed only in neccessity. They are not the kneelers, and we should remember that.

Sansa wants to be a southerner, she wants to immerse herself in the courtly culture of King's Landing and all that. She's way more into formal stuff like knighthood and courtship, than a "proper" Northerner should be. Tully heritage.

No, Sansa doesn`t want to be southerner. She wanted adventure, and she has seen opportunity in KL. She is much like Arya, but only her focus isn`t the same as Arya`s. She may have Tully look, but she is the Stark to the bone. Her endurance, not kneeling in front of Tyrion... She is as much Northerner as her siblings, even more. She, better than any of them, understands Stark words.

character development. it happened. she becomes more and more of a northman as the series gows on.

No one house can forever be defined by certain traits. As the OP said, the Kings in the North are nothing like Ned was it seems. Ned was honorable, and always tried to do the right, level headed thing. Yet Brandon and Lyanna even didn't seem to be like that at all.

If the North becomes it's own Kingdom again, I want Rickon to be King. It'd be interesting to see the ferocity in the Kings in the North come out again.

Sansa wanted to go south... at the beginning of the story. Yet more recently, we see her building Winterfell out of snow and missing her home.

But regardless, Bran also had romantic notions about knights, and I don't see people saying that makes him any less of a northerner.

Sansa wanted to go south... at the beginning of the story. Yet more recently, we see her building Winterfell out of snow and missing her home.

But regardless, Bran also had romantic notions about knights, and I don't see people saying that makes him any less of a northerner.

This, basically. I recall that Bran was pretty excited about going south in Bran II of AGoT. Does being a Stark mean you can't have the desire to explore other parts of the world and experience other cultures?

They are not the kneelers, and we should remember that.

Untrue.

They are kneelers.

They kneel first to the Targaryen.

After that, they kneel to Robert Baratheon

When they tried to rebel they lost almost everything: Titles, lands and family members.

Their only real chance to their come back has Wardens of the North is if:

1- Stannis wins and put a Stark in Winterfell.

2- Tommens wins a decide to forgive them, and helps them out.

3- Aegon wins, have mercy of them, and decide to put again some Stark in charge fo the North.

4- Daenerys goes "oh! a little boy! and what a big black wolf he have! so cute! not like at all to the Usurper Dog!" and gives them the lordship over North.

About "starkeness":

Is being more cunning than an Umber.

Less savage than the northern clansmen.

More cosmopolite than an Karstark.

Less cruel than a Bolton.

With older roots in the North than a Manderly.

Rickard, Eddard and Robb, in truth all the Starks since the Conquest, and some of them since the Invasion of the Andals, were more or less influenced by the Andal Culture, in key aspects of their lifes.

By Ned's words:

"The winters are hard," Ned admitted. "But the Starks will endure. We always have."
The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief ...

Mainly endurance (as a "pack", not necessarily as individuals) and holding to the First Men traditions. Many of the Starks also share the "wolf's blood" personality trait.

Well, you have the point. Ned isn`t typical Stark, Kings and Lors dhe North, according to Ned, was much harsher and cruel, just as the winters were. He is also named a `quiet wolf`, comparing to obvious wilderness Lyanna and Brandon shared. But, all in all, Ned is of the North. He is strong, but not cruel, honorable, just and merciful. The funniest thing that of all his children Sansa (and Jon) is most like Ned. Arya is like Lyanna, and Rickon, I persume will be the next Brandon. As for Bran and Robb, they much more like Tullys, than Starks.

And something we always forget - their pride. 300 years have passed, and they call `King who knelt` Stark who bend his knees to Aegon the Conquerer. Sansa didn`t bend her knees to Tyrion, Robb to Lannisters, Bran and Rickon escaped Theon, Arya well she bowed only in neccessity. They are not the kneelers, and we should remember that.

Robb is quite bold though, and that reminds me of Brandon, though that something comes off better in the series it is in the books.

Untrue.

They are kneelers.

They kneel first to the Targaryen.

After that, they kneel to Robert Baratheon

When they tried to rebel they lost almost everything: Titles, lands and family members.

As I said, the King who knelt doesn`t have a great reputation in the North, and kneeling in front of Robert Baratheon? Ned practicly made him King, and when Robert finally became King, the first thing Ned did was to get into argument about Elia and Lannisters. As we know, Ned was left alone in the North. He respected Robert`s reign, but he was far less kneeler than anyone in kingdom.

Robb is quite bold though, and that reminds me of Brandon, though that something comes off better in the series it is in the books.

Blackfish is also bold. Robb`s boldness isn`t Brandon`s. He doesn`t take what he wants. He is a bit different than Brandon.

• Pride
  • A certain level of honour, best seen in Ned, Robb and Benjen
  • Duty
  • Endurance/Hardiness, best seen in Robb and Arya
  • Either Bold or Cold, depends on the Stark.
  • Fierceness
  • Godliness
  • A certain iciness. For example, in the TV show whenever Ned and Jaime talk to each other, Ned is very icy. This makes the Starks intimidating, but not in a "Grrr I'm gonna smash your head in" way like the Mountain or Ramsay Snow
  • Regard for family. This is definitely the most noticeable trait. They have to stay as a 'pack'

In this sense, Jon is the paragon of 'Starkness' for the males and Arya for the females. If not Jon, then Robb or Benjen.

• Pride
  • Endurance/Hardiness
  • Either Bold or Cold, depends on the Stark
  • Fierceness
  • Godliness
  • A certain iciness. For example, in the TV show whenever Ned and Jaime talk to each other, Ned is very icy. This makes them intimidating, but not in a "Grrr I'm gonna smash your head in" way like the Mountain or Ramsay Snow
  • Regard for family. This is definitely the most noticeable trait. They have to stay as a 'pack'

In this sense, Jon is the paragon of 'Starkness' for the males and Arya for the females. If not Jon, then Robb or Benjen.

Pretty much sums them up.

Archived