[No Spoilers] Credits Song

TERRIBLE.

What's next, a new version of "Rock the Casbah." "Jamie don't like it.....Rock the Kingslayer, rock the Kingslayer..."

Or a hip hop version of "Rains of Castermere"? "Yeah....yeah...and who are you, mutherf*cker, to make me bow so motherf*ckin' low....Casterly Rock up in the house, biatches!"

"A Knight's Tale" did so well with forcing modern songs into a medieval movie.

"You miss the point! It was a supposed to be jarring!" It was already jarring. We don't need help from a song that doesn't fit telling us to be jarred.

Classic example of a show getting too cute for its own good. Jumping the shark.

Classic example of a show getting too cute for its own good. Jumping the shark.

While I can understand the criticism of the music decision, even though I thought it was perfect, this statement is completely wrong. That is not was jumping the shark is at all. The music had nothing to do with the actual content of the episode. It was place it to further shock the views directly after a shocking event. That's not what jumping the shark means.

Okay, the show itself isn't in decline, obviously, which is what "jumping the shark" indicates, but man, they at least pulled a Jar Jar Binks. Unnecessary "cuteness" which almost ruins the whole thing.

That said, the music did have something to do with the content of the episode, as you yourself said - it was there to further shock us. No, they didn't have guys with guitars jump out of the trees and actually play during the scene, but it was the next worst thing. They added the music to "help" us feel Jaime's shock and pain, when we didn't need any help - the dialogue, acting, and directing of that final scene did it perfectly. Instead it took us out of the show and ruined the suspension of disbelief, by saying, "Look how shocking this is!"

The whole thing reminded me of how True Blood end their episodes - Bloody death - followed by credits with...hey, it's a happy folk song! 'Cause we're not taking anything seriously...get it?

PLEASE D&D - no more "funny/shocking/cute/ironic" anachronistic songs.

Wow really? We really needed a thread to complain about THIS of all things? A song playing over a black screen with words on it? Did it take away from your reading the names of the grips on set? Jesus, you people...

^^

It's not an uncommon trope, apparently.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/MoodWhiplash/LiveActionTV

It was meant to be like that: to cause a shock after an already shocking scene: it's the perfect background music for all the confused people who ended up asking if he really got his hand cut? (for non readers, the severed hand was like Ned's losing his head: they didn't see it coming)

Wow really? We really needed a thread to complain about THIS of all things? A song playing over a black screen with words on it? Did it take away from your reading the names of the grips on set? Jesus, you people...

Exactly! I also loved how Peter Jackson played C+C Music Factory's "Everybody Dance Now" at the end of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

This is an aesthetic choice I did not care for. It made me laugh like I'd been rickrolled, which I feel was totally inappropriate following the shot of Jaime's reaction to his severed hand.

I think silent credits would have accomplished the same thing they were trying to do with the music, but more effectively.

While I can understand the criticism of the music decision, even though I thought it was perfect, this statement is completely wrong. That is not was jumping the shark is at all. The music had nothing to do with the actual content of the episode. It was place it to further shock the views directly after a shocking event. That's not what jumping the shark means.

From a fan comment on HBO's website:

End Credits is part of the show. "the Rains of Castamere" plays during the credits of episode 19(blackwater) is a stunning piece and serves an emotional purpose, but this rock version of"the bear and the maiden fair" just ruin the whole Jamie scene.

I liked the contrast between the horror in Jamie's eyes and the music, surprised me too ... non-book readers were double shocked i think, seeing Jamie's hand cut off and then hearing the inappropiate music :)) Maybe some were happy for what happened to Jamie ... as alot of viewers are hating him, but in time i think he'll become one of the most enjoyable characters on tv ... just like in the books

Didn't ruin the episode but it was obviously a poor choice and a poor version - to me, it sounds like the theme tune to Malcolm in the Middle.

More importantly, the melody (both of The Hold Steady's version and that used during the episode) didn't have the cadence I would have expected from a medieval drinking song. It was too fast, like a shitty indie-rock-by-numbers tune. Poor all round.

Eh, it just took me totally out of the immersive experience of Westeros and the story and reminded me I was watching a TV show produced by people at HBO in a time that punk rock exists, I doubt that was the intended effect.

You realize the show was over at that point right? That immersion was no longer required? How did you feel about the end of Goodfellas when the Sid Vicious version of My Way comes on, since that's also out of place? Or did you shake your cane at the TV for that too, grumbling and gulping down Malox? You do not seem to be very hapy with very much going on with the show from the posts I've seen...why put yourself through the torture? Or are you just "that" forum guy?

It was kinda funny, in a Quentin Tarantino kind of way. At least I think he has a few movies where happy music is played while people are being mutilated. It's done with the intention of weirding you out. And as a victory song for the Northmen for finally giving Jaime his. The Lannisters can have victory songs, why not the Northmen?

Putting the song just behind the scene was good.

However I don't like the adaptation of the song - it does not fit. Compared to Rains of Castamere in Blackwater, we heard the song there first sunk by the soldiers and then in modern habit, but keeping with the spirit of the song. On the contrary here first we hear it as a bawdy popular song being used as marching song... And then we have something... Too fast to be really either.

As for the argument "it's not in the scene", each scene is in a context. In Blackwater, the Rains of Castamere during credits were perfect underscore to the episode, here the effect was spoiled by a wrong song format.

Nope.

Yes.

See what I did there?

Seriously, the argument that it's only the credits, so it has nothing to do with the episode is stupid. That would only make sense if the episode stopped right at the end, and you could manually watch the credits. But obviously, they roll on right after the end of the scene, so yes it has a very clear connection and it was really jarring. That was, of course, the intent of the whole thing - it's just that people either liked it or hated it. The simple fact that so many people are writing about this shows that it's NOT just a song that plays in the credits and has nothing to do with the episode. Personally, it didn't work at all for me and pulled down the Jaime scene, but I can see why they did it. Just hope they won't do it again.

You realize the show was over at that point right? That immersion was no longer required? How did you feel about the end of Goodfellas when the Sid Vicious version of My Way comes on, since that's also out of place? Or did you shake your cane at the TV for that too, grumbling and gulping down Malox? You do not seem to be very hapy with very much going on with the show from the posts I've seen...why put yourself through the torture? Or are you just "that" forum guy?

you can like it, but you can't say that it doesn't matter because it was during the credits. if the credits didnt matter, then why do some shows carefully choose how the credits play out. look at every mad men credit song. they enhance the mood and play you out of the show, allow everything to sink in.

to a lot of people, this was cheesy, hollywood, play a poppy song you can stick on the soundtrack

Archived