Are they glossing over Daenerys story? (book spoilers)

total1402

It looks like next episode will be when Dany gets the Unsullied and its episode 4. Chronologiclly that is the end of ASOS part 1, which is the greater part of Daenerys story in Storm of Swords. Considering she wasn't in episode 2 at all that means 3 episodes were deemed enough to cover ASOS part 1? I mean they try, don't get me wrong. On the Walk of Punishment they have Jorah and Barristan condence their feelings on the Unsullied, how Rhaegar led versus he "died nobly" and we even get one of Danys lines from ACOK about killing innocents being bad.

This felt very much like they were trying to make up for how slow her story was in ACOK. When, really, they should have just considered condensing Qaarth and Astapor; since the warlocks are the only relevent thing that happens in Qaarth. But ASOS part one is a very different beast to ACOK and a lot of very good bits of that novel were cut.

For instance -

- Dany/Jorah - Pretty amazed they removed that and all related scenes. Even their disagreement and fallout over the Unsullied is really glossed over. The one thing I am praying they don't do is have Jorah do this later on once Daario shows up because altering the context like that wouldn't be good.

-Discussion of the Dragons - They haven't been named yet and this is getting really annoying. They had no issues with naming her child Rhaego they shouldn't have issues over naming Rhaegal. The only dragon we ever see most of the time is Drogon and we all know who hes named after. I almost cringed when Kraznez said he wanted "the biggest" since the audience have no way of knowing which one that is as we never see them all close up. In ACOK they all looked the same size. I also quite liked how in the books they talk about just how big the dragons can get.

-Talking about the "Usurpers Dogs" - This is something that Barristan and Dany talk about. The show seems to have purposefully avoided her stating "I hate Starks and Baratheons" for too long. Its kind of important. A lot of show viewers are just going with "shes gonna kill those evil Lannisters and would never hurt ta Starks coz they're nice like her". Unlike Stannis who would be a lot more tolerant to show viewers if he was just saying he wanted Joffery dead and didn't add Robb Stark onto that list. So Danys feeling of this need to be conveyed to the audience sooner rather than later.

I wish I could be more specific. But you get my idea. Part 1 of ASOS in 3 episodes?

TBH, given that we know from the last episode "Mysha" that its going to end with the Battle of Yunkai and her taking the slaves there that means the rest of the series is going to be making a big deal out of what one, maybe two of her chapters in ASOS of what was pretty much an opening skirmish. The decisive battle of ASOS was of course Mereen for Daenerys. Yunkai is even made out as a skirmish. They could alter that of course. But I just don't see how they're going to pad out the rest of the series since they've already covered ASOS part 1. I guess they'll maybe inflate how dangerous the Yunkai force is and emphasise Dany becoming a war leader a lot more.

Still, I dislike how they've handled this and it largely seems like a knee jerk reaction to Danys arc in season 2. Condensing all of ASOS part 1 into 3 episodes is a big deal. I am not saying the episodes are bad by any measure. But I feel they don't do justice to the novel by glossing over things just to get Dany fighting as early as possible in the series.

I don't agree that they're glossing over anything, relevant beats in Dany's arc are being hit - so far - this season. Then again, I'm not really objective on this issue, I dislike Dany's story so intensely that the less of her I get in the show the more I like it.

It's a VERY good decision to get to the 'Dracarys' moment as soon as possibly IMO. Dany's story becomes far more interesting when she takes the Unsullied and becomes a Queen with an army. In episode 5 and/or 6 I expect we'll get a scene or two of her travelling with the Unsullied and marching towards Yunkai. And there is plenty of material for taking Yunkai; she'll arrive in episode 7 and take it in episode 10.

Are there not just 6 Dany chapters in a SoS? However a hell of lot happens in them.

I think you have legit questions.

In novel four stories engaged me the most, Dany's, Arya's, Jon's, and Jamie's.

No I am not in that class of people who think Robb and Catelyn's is best thing since sliced bread!

Even the most notorious sequence, Dave and Dan seem entranced by , and many others too. Not that I was un-entertained or put off by it, just seemed too predictable , to me. I kind of liked the time spent at Riverrun better!

My attention kept being carried back to Arya's and Dany's stories.

You are right the non-naming of the dragons is annoying, has that just slipped under D and D radar?, they think of it as some kind of surprise zinger for later? That would be odd.

I can only guess that stuff with Daario Naharis will be elaborated.

I still can't tell if Battle of Yunkai will be elaborated, it could if they wanted , because in the book GRRM summarizes it , but I wanted the details, like Blackwater.

There are zingers at KL but I am thinking that is mostly season 4.

One might ask about Jamie's story too. If they have the bear pit story in this season, not a lot happens after that.

I love it in the book, but audiences would see it as a lot of talk.

I don't want to see Arya's story shorted, travels with Dog are some of the best in the book.

Just too damn much happens in SoS , I kind of hope they don't pull much back much stuff from Crows and Dance.

-Considering she wasn't in episode 2 at all that means 3 episodes were deemed enough to cover ASOS part 1?

-I wish I could be more specific. But you get my idea. Part 1 of ASOS in 3 episodes?

-Condensing all of ASOS part 1 into 3 episodes is a big deal

So you think D&D have summed up Dany's story in 2 episodes?

Wait... what... really?

And i'm happy someone else complained about the fact that her obvious hate towards the Starks has not been worded on the show yet. It feels like they think it'll make her less popular with the audience...

Well, yeah. Three episodes to cover part 1 of ASOS, which is far more weightier than what Dany does after in the next part.

If I remember right, the single chapter which the series will be dealing with is about.

Dany surveys the Yunkish army with Jorah

Has argument with Jorah after seeing the ambassadors for the Second Sons, Stormcrows and Yunkish and Daarios secret visit which prompts it.

Talks with Barristan about Rhaegar.

Jorah returns having won battle with her plan and the betrayels.

Dany has the myhsa scene at Yunkai

Problem being that we are told straight away that Dany will win this battle. Its just a question how many she might lose in the process and taking Yunkai. Not exactly a high stakes event because the real conflict is at Mereen. Unlike with the Blackwater last season I haven't seen any footage that indicates the battle itself being shown; which you would normally expect. So I am actually quite doubtful they will show this fight. But it just isn't very important in ASOS, more the warm up round.

So, by the looks of it they'd be turning that one single chapter into the rest of Dany for season 2?

You clearly haven't been paying attention to the footage in previews/trailers then, because I'm pretty sure the majority of previews have shown Jorah, Daario and Grey Worm fighting at night against the Yunkish forces.

Dany arrives at Yunkai in episode 7 to meet with a Yunkish slaver. In episode 8 she meets with the sellswords (a scene which should be TV gold if handled correctly) and Daario swears fealty to her. After this, the battle takes place and she forces Yunkai to open its gates. That is a LOT of material.

We know she meets Daario in episode 8, so I imagine episodes 5-7 provide the opportunity for Selmy to start filling in the blanks

We also know she arrives at Yunkai in episode 7.

And i'm happy someone else complained about the fact that her obvious hate towards the Starks has not been worded on the show yet. It feels like they think it'll make her less popular with the audience...

She doesn't hate the Starks. She specifically (and justifiably) hates Ned Stark. But she's never passed judgement on his children.

She doesn't hate the Starks. She specifically (and justifiably) hates Ned Stark. But she's never passed judgement on his children.

How is her hate of Ned justifiable, when she doesn't know a thing about him apart from the fact he was fighting against her father? I don't even need to explain why Ned taking up arms against Aerys was necessary. Dany hates Ned for fighting against her father and then refuses to hear the other side of the story which provides Ned's justification and then you say her hatred of Ned is justifiable?

How is her hate of Ned justifiable, when she doesn't know a thing about him apart from the fact he was fighting against her father? I don't even need to explain why Ned taking up arms against Aerys was necessary. Dany hates Ned for fighting against her father and then refuses to hear the other side of the story which provides Ned's justification and then you say her hatred of Ned is justifiable?

That's in the book?

Could be.

It must be for some reason than knives sent against her and her brother, I don't remember the Starks sending any assassins against her.

Can't remember from the books, her brother may have told lies about the Starks.

It would seem the Starks would be underneath her radar ... but I can't remember.

That's in the book?

Could be.

It must be for some reason than knives sent against her and her brother, I don't remember the Starks sending any assassins against her.

It would seem the Starks would be underneath her radar ... but I can't remember.

That's in the book?

Could be.

They didn't. They didn't do anything that wasn't self defense against Aerys' tyranny. Ned fought to keep his head - that's the right the lowest of organisms in the universe has. Protecting themselves.

Ned even asked Robert not to have Dany killed. If anything, Dany should respect Ned as an enemy of her retarded father who wanted to protect her because she's a kid. Seriously, there is no way at all anybody can call her hate of Ned justifiable. She knows nothing about him or his House - and refuses to learn anything too.

They didn't. They didn't do anything that wasn't self defense against Aerys' tyranny. Ned fought to keep his head - that's the right the lowest of organisms in the universe has. Protecting themselves.

Ned even asked Robert not to have Dany killed. If anything, Dany should respect Ned as an enemy of her retarded father who wanted to protect her because she's a kid. Seriously, there is no way at all anybody can call her hate of Ned justifiable. She knows nothing about him or his House - and refuses to learn anything too.

Maybe Tyrion will tell her the real story.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to the footage in previews/trailers then, because I'm pretty sure the majority of previews have shown Jorah, Daario and Grey Worm fighting at night against the Yunkish forces.

Dany arrives at Yunkai in episode 7 to meet with a Yunkish slaver. In episode 8 she meets with the sellswords (a scene which should be TV gold if handled correctly) and Daario swears fealty to her. After this, the battle takes place and she forces Yunkai to open its gates. That is a LOT of material.

We also know she arrives at Yunkai in episode 7.

The night fight scene is taking place in a city. This is more likely Astapor than it is to be Yunkai because Dany could only arrive at Yunkai in the final episode and she doesn't occupy Yunkai. Besides. I was refering to the big field battle she has with the Yunkish army.

All the scenes you mention about meeting the slavers n mercenaries, watching the army, as I noted above, this is only a single (maybe 2 my memory is haisy) chapter in ASOS part 2. Its not a weighty part of the text and it really isn't much material. Dedicating most of Danys story towards what is largely in the books a build up chapter to Mereen feels very off. A lot of people have said this is about moving Danys story forward faster. But, if that were the case, then why spend five episodes on a single chapter when you could just condense that with the siege of Mereen itself. Thats really not speeding her plot forward. I would have said that that material would have required at most two episodes and probably could just be done in a final one. She meets the diplomats, Daario pedges himself, the battle is won off-screen. Its a very simple set of events and dragging that out across six episodes is just going to be really gauling since you'll be waiting for the battle to happen for ages and then you don't even get shown it. That could be a very bad thing.

Well she doesn't have to show up in episode(s) 5, 6, or 9 (not saying she wont, but they could easily cut her out of one of those episodes).

I don't have the synopses in front of me for 5 and 6 so I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

Maybe Tyrion will tell her the real story.

Yeah we can hope. If she listens. But problem is Tyrion doesn't know Ned defended her from Robert's murder idea. Dany will be ignorant for a long time yet.

Archived