What Are You Listening To? Part VIII: It's Not Noise, It's Music!

Durckad

I'm warily looking forward to the new Sabbath. Reunions such as this have about a 50/50 shot of producing anything of merit and I'll likely listen to it because Tony Iommi, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I'm in the same boat. Like I said earlier, the pre release track grew on me, so my hopes are a bit higher than before.

Right now - all night Rush marathon:

Approve.

Seeing them live on the 4th for the first time!

I've seen them twice before, though like a stupid bastard I allowed work to get in the way or I could have seen them again earlier this month in Nashville.

They put on an incredible show, you'll love it!

Queens of the Stone Age - If I Had a Tail. It's fucking magnificent. From my limited experience of their music, they sound something like a cross between Led Zep and Faust, or between early Sabbath and Can.

I also suggest to any alt-rock fans not in the know yet to buy or download The Shins' Port of Morrow album or anything Interpol's released.

At the moment I am listening to Tom Waits Rain Dogs.

What a great album.

Note to Inigima - I like Springsteen as well. I'm an Arcade Fire fan, so how could I not do: but there's at least two absolute stinkers on his last album, including the execrable Queen of the Supermarket and that one where he compares himself to a three-legged dog. So I don't really think holding Springsteen these days as a model of quality control is apposite somehow, despite his last album being mainly good.

I was listening mostly to Born To Run, so I'm still firmly in Good Bruce era.

Blackout by Anna Calvi from her self-titled debut album which has made her something of a star in France. It was one of a raft of great albums from female artists in that year, though they were all somewhat overshadowed media-wise, in Britain, by the MOR hell of Adele. The other three albums I would recommend to anyone I'm thinking of are Florence and the Machine's Ceremonials, PJ Harvey's Let England Shake and Lana Del Rey's Born to Die.

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs. Scary Monsters after that. The wonder about Bowie is that his excellent new album is not even among his very finest. His most perfect are the two just mentioned, overshadowed slightly by the sublime Station to Station. Then you have Low and Heroes, Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and somewhere among the quality of that lot The Next Day. I'm even going to buy his crap stuff soon, because even Bowie at his worst is far more interesting than many current artists at their best.

Ahh those dickheads at Seetickets released the VIP tickets for next years Primavera ten minutes before the official release time so they all old out before I could get one :(

Edit: Got one!! VIP Primavera Sound 2014 on THE REG.

GET IN!!

Loving this album more and more with each listen. So much better than Grace For Drowning. I love King Crimson and if I want, I'd rather listen to them as opposed to Steven Wilson's take on them stretched over two CD's.

I like that song a lot. I added it to my iTunes playlist last week. I also am listening to

They seem pretty good. I've been listening to this and "Bones" ever since I found out about them in the season 3 trailer.

Just listened to

. It's always time well spent and it reminded me that I should listen to more Classical music.

Archived