If Tommen and Myrcella die....

Barty

Just wondering - assuming Danny has not gotten to westeros and Aegon has not met with much military success but Tommen and Myrcella suddenly die then who becomes King?? Tommen is ruling under the Baratheon name - if he dies followed by Myrcella then Stannis is the rightful King and no one has an excuse to keep him out. Would this result in the IT falling into Stannis' lap without a fight?

Or is Stannis now a traitor and hence removed from the reckoning - even if he is , Shireen is then Queen. What would happen if Mace Tyrell crowns Shireen as Queen( saying Stannis was a traitor and hence cannot inherit the throne )? Would Stannis acknowledge his daughter Queen before himself?

OK, well supposing that Tommon and Myrcella die and we're discounting "Aegon VI" and Dany, then Stannis would be the incontrovertible heir. It's not permissible to crown the heir before the king himself, so Stannis would not acknowledge his daughter before himself.

But who would follow him? I would imagine the Martells would claim the Iron Throne as the next closest blood relatives to the Targs, and the Tyrells like neither of those factions. I say at that point, it's a free-for-all: either a new conquest, or everybody becomes independent.

I think it would have to be Stannis. Just coming off several child rulers, I don't think the kingdom would be eager for more of the same. Also, who would want Selyse as Queen Regent? They'd have a whole Bloody Mary scenario, what with her burning all the enemies of the red god.

Of course therein lies the problem with Stannis or his daughter claiming the throne. The faith of the seven is very strong, especially with the faith militant back in the fray. Even Aegon the Conquerer didn't dare openly oppose them. I can't imagine they'd allow Stannis or his offspring on the throne. Unless they somehow got her away from her parents. But I don't see Selyse letting her go without a fight.

The scenario presented is implausible but I would assume, under those circumstances, the kingdom might dissolve into regional warfare. To some extent, that has already happened, as most simply choose to ignore the North at this point. The Tyrells could conceivably attempt to take over the southern kingdoms absent Dorne and the Vale. But, again, none of this is likely.

I see this scenario as very much possible - We know that Tommen and Mrycella are doomed via Cersei's prophecy and once they are dead the other kingdoms suddenly don't have a King and will be forced to chose between Aegon, who most people will consider as fake,or Stannis who most people don't like. The Faith militant has no reason to love neither Targs nor Stannis - Targs removed them from power and are abominations born of incest while Stannis is a follower of a different god. They might encourage the 7 kingdoms to become independent again so as to increase their own power.

The Shireen bit is very unlikely, true - that was just put in to find out how many people on this forum think Stannis would fight his daughter for the throne.

That would be a sign from the gods that it's time to form a democratically elected government to run the seven kingdoms with locally elected representatives.

Can you really see the seven kingdoms working as a republic? The government would be even more massively corrupt and disorderly than it is now... at least with a monarchy there's a set hierarchy.

Can you really see the seven kingdoms working as a republic? The government would be even more massively corrupt and disorderly than it is now... at least with a monarchy there's a set hierarchy.

Well, if they get an obsidian glass candle telegraph network station into every single village, got 90+% literacy and start a bit of industry and academics... :cool4:

Stannis wouldn't put his daughter on the throne when he is still alive, and can produce sons. Neither Cersei nor the Tyrells will let Stannis sit the IT.

It is unlikely that Aegon won't meet with much military success given that his forces are led by Connington, and Dorne is in the bag. Dany will land in Westeros by TWoW.

Can the regent legitimize a bastard ?

If say a Tyrell is regent he can find one of the many of Robert then marry Margaery with him.

Cersei it's a bit less likely, but would be fun if her only choice to keep power is legitimizing and marrying a son of Robert.

Nope, as he would have to claim superior authority over the king. Bad idea.

The High Septon could try it though. Maybe not suceed, but try.

Just wondering - assuming Danny has not gotten to westeros and Aegon has not met with much military success but Tommen and Myrcella suddenly die then who becomes King?? Tommen is ruling under the Baratheon name - if he dies followed by Myrcella then Stannis is the rightful King and no one has an excuse to keep him out.

Nah, they have plenty excuses. Him being a heathen, for one. Everybody who dislikes Stannis (or simply, everybody) can claim that he loves the Seven so fucking much he simply cannot abide a pagan on the Iron Throne.

What would happen if Mace Tyrell crowns Shireen as Queen( saying Stannis was a traitor and hence cannot inherit the throne )? Would Stannis acknowledge his daughter Queen before himself?

For sure, just as he bent his knee before Renly in similar circumstances.

Swords out, last man standing takes the throne.

Pretty much this. It's been less about laws of succession and more about power to take and hold the throne for awhile now. The Tyrells know Joff and Tommen were bastards, they just didn't care as it suited there needs. I doubt so an orderly turn over to Stannis at this point. If he wants it, he'll have to take it.I'd say some of the kingdoms would also attempt further rebellion and we may see more regional warfare in the near term.

At this point though, the next person on the throne is probably Aegon. Whether he keeps it for any length of time is another story.

don't ya mean when they especially since myrcella isn't in dorne where it was safe anymore. I don't see them kingdoms splitting since more wars will come but i do see alot of organizations forming to get power the faith is one already and i see someone having to but them down. So i guess it will be who kills all their enemies type of deal

Stannis would be the next in line, because Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen are considered Baratheons, the Lannisters can't take the throne, they are the queen's part of the family, so they can't be kings

but as they wouldn't give Stannis the throne, I believe Cersei would stayed as Queen Regent and she would probably seek again for a Robert's bastard to legitimize him and make him her puppet, it's strange, but or they do this or they have to give the throne to Stannis

Archived