Red Wedding...Overeacting?

The Crow

Way back, when I first read it, I was somehow still naive enough to think that Robb and Cat would come out of it okay, that Robb would actually rule. Boy, imagine my disappointment.

Seriously though, I had to go back and re-read it, because at first I didn't realize what a complete and utter massacre it was. The second time I read through it, my heart was racing with a sense of dread. After I finished, I put the book down calmly, and screamed "WHY GEORGE WHY?!"

And then, after thinking about it - "Fucking brilliant!"

Didn't know it affected people that much. It's pretty much in my top 10 favorite things that happened in the series. Two characters I disliked and didn't care for meeting their ends unexpectedly and in such a macabre fashion. GLORIOUS :bowdown: It drew me in more if anything

I would've been a little less pissed off, had the Freys not messed with the corpses of Robb and Grey Wind.

The whole head switching thing just was just kind of overkill, to the point of being inhumanely awful. That's why I won't be happy with any ASOIAF ending that doesn't include the complete and utter extinction of House Frey.

Am i the only one who isnt bothered by this? i hear people say that they threw there books and stormed outside...dont you think that is overreacting a little bit?

No. I wasn't affected at all. I also am a Stannis fan. The only Starks I care for, are Jon and Arya, so it didn't affect me at all. I actually thought it was pretty cool, and I was happy GRRM went there. That took a lot of balls to do.

The Red Wedding did not affect me much because i was always a Stannis fan.

Were you greatly ticked off by this and threw your book across the room and cursed aloud? or did you shrugg it off and keep reading?

No, I was not affected at all. I was never a fan of Cat or Robb. Like you, I have always been a Stannis fan above all else.

I was saddened more than shocked, so I suppose I saw Robb's death coming, surprised by Cat's death. Then in the next chapter I was surprised by the extent of the massacre of Robb's army, then Arya took the axe in the back of her head...

I suppose I was more saddened at Dacey Mormont's death than Robb's...

and Grey Wind shot down like a rabid dog with crossbows...

and then Grey Wind's head sown onto Robb's body...

DEATH TO THE FREYS!!!

I suppose I was more saddened at Dacey Mormont's death than Robb's...

Honestly that was the most upsetting thing to me about the Red Wedding in retrospect, not even so much the death of Robb (like him or not, he did fuck up, though death was a bit of an extreme way of dealing with it) but the death of many of his bannermen, including Dacey Mormont and Smalljon, who were completely and utterly innocent. This is one of many reasons I hate Tywin Lannister and his cowardly style of waging war.

It wasn't the characters being killed that bothered me so much, it was the way the bodies were treated.

Grey Winds head being sown onto Robb's body and Catelyn being tossed into a river naked...nothing is more disrespectful.

The visual imagery of Robb with Grey Wind's head is just horrific and 'Jamie Lannister sends his regards' followed by a sword being plunged into Robb's heart then twisted while his mother watches!

Overall, it saddened me greatly but it was also the scene that made me think 'oh shit, anyone can be killed in this story' so its almost exciting not having a predictable book series to read.

It was a shitty 5 minutes or so when the whole event went down for me but I got over it quick. I was damn happy when they killed Cat though. I would have quit reading if she made it through the wedding.

I was in shock when I read the RW for the first time. I just sat and thought about Robb and Bran talking about getting together and going up to see Jon on the Wall .."it will be an adventure."

I was so upset with GRRM and I seriously did wonder why I was reading books that were killing off my favorite characters..but George just pulls you into his world of Westeros and you can't walk away forever.

I reread the RW and the death of GreyWind, and the northern bannermen. I just could not believe George wrote about the wolf head on the head of a body. Sometimes I wonder about George's inner demon..lol He fascinates me and he somehow manages to make me care too deeply about characters that are somehow real now in my mind. Very few authors do that.

I still have a belief that George will give me the justice against the Frey's, and Boltons. When Tywin was killed...I had no sympathy for the character. How fitting he died in the privy..thank you Geore..fine writing that. So many years, and so many books and I am still waiting for Cersei to get hers!

When I finally read the last page of the very last book..what will I do? What will we all do? No more Westeros? Somehow the characters are like people...so I guess I will lift a glass of wine to George..and toast him for the story teller he is.. have a good cry because its ended and then start a reread.

I stumbled across an RW spoiler on the wiki, so when I got that point in ASOS, I jsut kept reading.

I was sitll interested in the details.

Lord Frey's repeated 'heh'-ing was more ominous in retrospect.

PS

I thought the thread title meant "The Freys overracted to Robb/Jeyne by orchestrating the RW"

It wasn't the characters being killed that bothered me so much, it was the way the bodies were treated.

Grey Winds head being sown onto Robb's body and Catelyn being tossed into a river naked...nothing is more disrespectful.

Well,we can say that the way the Freys treated Cat's body has come back to them.In a stony way.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't throw the books the first time; I was gaping at them because I couldn't believe that GRRM was so gutsy. The RW really showed us that GRRM will kill anyone and everyone. Then I complained to my brother, who told me to read the series in the first place. He persuaded me to read the next Arya chapter, which I thought was equally upsetting because I like Arya a lot and it was written to think she died.

However, on the second read, things that bothered me/ that I didn't notice at first:

• Manderly's death - because we had met Wyman in DwD, and he still wanted revenge for his son's death and Wyman is cool.
  • Smalljon's death - honestly that was just sad because the Greatjon.
  • Dacey Mormont's death - this one also bothered me just because I didn't remember her from a first read
  • Catelyn's death had so much more of am impact, her inner thoughts during the wedding did too, especially since we saw her as Lady Stoneheart. Her purpose now is related to it. We also saw just how 'off' she went. (no, don't cut my hair, ned loves my hair)

Archived