(Book Spoilers) Roose Bolton A Hero?

ServantOnIce

Roose Bolton some claim is based upon Vlad The Impaler. Vlad was known for his cruelty and Roose and his mad son Ramsay Snow are also known for their cruelty.

Vlad is seen as a hero to some of the peoples of his region in Transylvania because of him deteating the Turkish Empire and his cruelty put, "caution" in the very powerful Turks. Of course he was assassinated and lost in his, "game of thrones."

It bring up the question, is Roose Bolton a hero? I mean in a sense is Roose by seizing power from the Starks a family that is totally in ruin and trying to unite the Northern Families under his leadership in a very turbulent time. Yes, he knows Ramsay is a rabid pit bull but he is using Ramsay to keep the rest of the folks who are Stark loyalist in line.

The North needs leadership, strong, smart leadership. Roose as Warden of the North can provide that leadership. Robb was not a good leader, Robb as Karstark said on the TV show, "King who lost the North", Roose maybe what the North needs to survive the coming winter.

I do see Roose and Ramsay defeating Stannis but I also see Roose and Ramsay having to deal with the dark tide of the White Walkers/Others and Wights.

Roose Bolton some claim is based upon Vlad The Impaler. Vlad was known for his cruelty and Roose and his mad son Ramsay Snow are also known for their cruelty.

Vlad is seen as a hero to some of the peoples of his region in Transylvania because of him deteating the Turkish Empire and his cruelty put, "caution" in the very powerful Turks. Of course he was assassinated and lost in his, "game of thrones."

It bring up the question, is Roose Bolton a hero? I mean in a sense is Roose by seizing power from the Starks a family that is totally in ruin and trying to unite the Northern Families under his leadership in a very turbulent time. Yes, he knows Ramsay is a rabid pit bull but he is using Ramsay to keep the rest of the folks who are Stark loyalist in line.

The North needs leadership, strong, smart leadership. Roose as Warden of the North can provide that leadership. Robb was not a good leader, Robb as Karstark said on the TV show, "King who lost the North", Roose maybe what the North needs to survive the coming winter.

I do see Roose and Ramsay defeating Stannis but I also see Roose and Ramsay having to deal with the dark tide of the White Walkers/Others and Wights.

No. The fact that he ever tolerated Ramsey shows how crap he is.

You make a good point. I`m from Romania and I consider Vlad to be a hero, because he defeated the turks (even if he was indeed a very cruel man) and I can see the resemblance between the two.

But I don`t think that Roose is a hero in anyway. If he would have wanted the good for the North and not for himself, he wouldn`t have orchestrated the RW, which led to the deaths of thousands of Northen including their king, he wouldn`t have let his bastard do the things he did in the North while he was gone and he wouldn`t have sent a major part of the northern army into the hands of the Mountain and Randyl Tarly, knowing very well that it was a trap. Roose only did these things for his own selfish goals.

You make a good point. I`m from Romania and I consider Vlad to be a hero, because he defeated the turks (even if he was indeed a very cruel man) and I can see the resemblance between the two.

But I don`t think that Roose is a hero in anyway. If he would have wanted the good for the North and not for himself, he wouldn`t have orchestrated the RW, which led to the deaths of thousands of Northen including their king, he wouldn`t have let his bastard do the things he did in the North while he was gone and he wouldn`t have sent a major part of the northern army into the hands of the Mountain and Randyl Tarly, knowing very well that it was a trap. Roose only did these things for his own selfish goals.

Good observation. I was just thinking outside the box. Every villain is someone else's hero and vice versa.

Yes. PtwP, AAR and the Stallion that Mounts the World. Oh, and a Lost Targaryen to boot!

...Naaah.

He lacks the redeeming factor of Vlad the Impaler. He didn't do anything good for his region. What has he done?

1. Worked with Tywin Lannister to bring the downfall of the Starks.

2. Sent several loyal commanders on a suicide campaign to get rid of them.

3. Killed Robb Stark, therefore destroying any unity left in the North.

4. Failed to remove the Ironborn from anywhere in the North save for Moat Cailin. Robb lost the North, but Roose was willing to let the west coast of it stay lost until they surrendered it.

5. Tolerated Ramsay Bolton, promising the future instability of the region.

6. Was made Lord of the North, but has no interest in keeping the North intact. Controls the Northern Lords through the virtue of captives alone.

That may be true but that requires Roose to have actually done some good. What has he done?

Well, he did free some of the North from the Ironborn... Hard to say if it counts, because Robb was planning to do the same thing, but still...

Well, he did free some of the North from the Ironborn... Hard to say if it counts, because Robb was planning to do the same thing, but still...

Yep. He freed castles from the Iron Born, I'm sure the stones are very appreciative...

Roose didn't only heroically abandoned his king's cause when he felt they were losing the war, he even bravely made sure that Robb would lose, by sending a big part of Robb's army into a trap, Then continued to demonstrate his valor by taking part in the Red Wedding, killing Robb personally, while being kind enough to deliver Jaime's message at the same time. All this without even a shred of emotions. This man is the stuff that hero's at made from...Not.

He saved one castle that we know of. Actually, Ramsay saved it, via Theon. Ramsay. Freaking. Bolton. It was Moat Cailin, the single most important ruin of a fortress in the North, and we can presume it wasn't saved for altruistic reasons, mainly because nobody actually lives there, after all. we never hear about Roose ordering others to be saved, Dagmer's still chilling in Torrhen's Square, and Asha was only removed from Deepwood by Stannis.

Archived