If the Others make it past the Wall, won't it drastically change the entire feel of the series?

The Pain Yak

...On the other hand with only 2 books to go I don't really see a grand invasion coming either...

Heresy aside, this is my problem too. So far as story-telling goes we're getting very late in the day to present this kind of thing credibly, far less introduce a Great Other or any other kind of bogeyman. Having come so far as we have this all needs to be resolved by our existing major characters - and that includes any bad guys revealed or otherwise.

Depends how it turns out... the Otherlanders may turn out to be the reason why R+L=J is a red herring and why Jon Snow may never sit on the Iron Throne. The Others can have a profound effect on what happens without ever coming south of the Wall and in any case the Wall needs to come down - just as the Berlin one did a few months before GRRM started writing AGoT.

I agree, it's been a hinge of the world, separating the realm of magic and myth from the realm the maesters wished to make, law, order, hierarchy, everything the wildings(first men) and the children and giants fought against is represented by the wall.

But it also serves to keep the realm safe from the supposed world ending threat of the others, which lets be honest, has holes in it.

They're a sentient race, capable of both reason, planning and bit of necromancy...but when you're out numbered 10 to one-or more- only using your enemies dead can help you, and I think thats where the whole split between them and the other mythical races ie children and giants came in...a factional split led to the others taking the chance offered by the long night (or caused it) with a force they thought they could control and dominate the other races...I would laugh forever if the WW were actually cursed for their own weapons development...

I digress, the wall has to come down, the world has to burn(ice burn) so that the people remember its they who fight and die, not the lords, and I think it will lead to a meritocracy based revolution of the militaries of westeros, a cromwellian galvanizing of the remainder of the kingdoms (probably the walled cities with large amounts of grain and fire making abilities) behind a leader who can lead the common man and the lords alike...or ex slaves for that matter...

Babylon 5 solution. Solve the others separately and then have characters who did it rush into the GoT, smashing the board and writing new set of rules :)

After all, everything saidd here about why it would be lame for the Others not to invade can be said about the Shadows as well... The Shadow-Vorlon war was led to a large extent by proxies and on less important worlds, so it went pretty much under the radfar for most.

I would be sad if the Others wouldnt come over the wall to play a big part (or if Dany will just kill them all to win favor in Westeros...). Otherwise I dont see the political game ending because like the OP said it would totally change the series. I think it will be very hard for Martin to bring the series to an end worthy of it.

It would be so sad if Dany, Jon and Tyrion would just fly into the north on Dragonback to kill the others and then secure a hold on the Iron throne and be happy.

One thing that I could see is an end where one faction (lets say Dany) fights the Others (dying in the process) while another faction (lets say Euron) takes the Iron Throne (and "wins" the GoT).

Or there will be Ice Dragons controlled by Bran which kill everything :)

the others have to invade. otherwise no point is having them in the story.

I think most of the emotional power has already gone out of the game of thrones. everyone we really cared about or hated is dead. Of the original players, all but Cersei and Stannis are dead: Tywin Lannister, Joffrey, Ned and Robb Stark, Balon Greyjoy and Renly Baratheon. The conflict between Stannis and the Lannisters has to play out, but I think the story will shift away from that by the middle (end?) of WoW. Neither Stannis nor Cersei makes it to the end of the series, one of them perhaps not even to the end of wow.

the arc that it appears is being set up (maybe a little too obvious, maybe not) is that the others invade at a point when the factions of westeros have fought each other to complete physical and economic and spiritual/emotional exhaustion. as the others invade, some (Jon Snow, the wildlings, northern lords, some or all of the NW, Stannis?) recognize the threat, hurl themselves into the breach, and beg for help from whoever else is left standing (Tyrells, Lannisters, Aegon??). much bickering and foot dragging and further playing for advantage ensues and delays everyone joining the fight. some no doubt try to take advantage of the situation to improve their position compared to the other factions. eventually, most or all unite and join the fight. they hang on just long enough for Dany and the dragons to arrive and turn the tide.

in the process, Westerosi society is transformed. perhaps in large part thanks to Dany, but also due to the misery, destruction, squalor, famine, pestilence and death wrought by the war and the fact that the selfishness of the contenders caused them to focus on their own fortunes and ignore the threat of the others, despite numerous warnings. the small folk will rise up and demand change.

what change? Maybe the Targaryen dynasty is not ultimately restored. Maybe the power of the throne (Targaryen or not) is restored at the expense of the nobility. Heck, maybe we get something like the French-revolution: the abolition of the monarchy and the aristocracy, all men equal before the law, democracy, redistribution of noble land holdings to the peasantry, and so on. Dany is already the Great Emancipator of the east. what might she do for westeros? Perhaps she realizes that, in the end, slavery isn't the fundamental problem, but the entire notion of people being deemed superior or inferior to one another by virtue of birth alone.

Archived