Starks are dying after they execute someone

Jaime FTW

Am i the only one who notice that Starks are dying after executions. In the first book Ned executed the deserter from the NW and then Ned died. Robb executed Rickard Karstark and then Robb died. Finally Jon executed Janos Slynt and then Jon died.

Is that just a coincidence? I don't think so

Am i the only one who notice that Starks are dying after executions. In the first book Ned executed the deserter from the NW and then Ned died. Robb executed Rickard Karstark and then Robb died. Finally Jon executed Janos Slynt and then Jon died.

Is that just a coincidence? I don't think so

Well, we don't yet know that Jon is dead. He could simply be in a comatose state, he may have warged into Ghost, or he may yet be resurrected.

As for your original theory, I respectfully disagree. I think it is just a coincidence. Given that many other people who have executed others in ASoIaF have both died and lived after, I think you're reading too deeply into it. That said, I applaud you for coming up with t he theory :)

There was a prophecy:

For no Stark shall ever execute another man, everyone else can, it's totally cool, and they'll get away with for a lot of them time, even if they break the most sacred law in all the land, but not the Starks, whether a lawful execution or not, they will not get away with it.

That's why Sansa is still alive, she intervened on Ser Dontos's behalf. Arya's alive because... Well... Let me get back to you on that.

If you have a family who performs their own executions, then of course members of that family will die after they execute someone, sooner or later. In Eddard's example we see that it can just as well be later rather than sooner (and even the prologue execution wasn't his first one), and Arya isn't even dead yet, so I don't think there's anything magical/mystical here.

.... and ninja'd by Leap. That's one fitting name.

Plus, Cat executed Aegon Frey right before she was killed

Wasn't really an execution, more like combat/murder depending on your outlook, he's the "retarded" Frey right? No I don't care what people think about that word, this is a literary character, their feelings won't get hurt.

Wasn't really an execution, more like combat/murder depending on your outlook, he's the "retarded" Frey right? No I don't care what people think about that word, this is a literary character, their feelings won't get hurt.

Yes. He's Jinglebell. (Hence, "Fool's Blood, King's Blood, Blood on the Maiden's Thigh")

Catelyn isn't a Stark either, she's a Tully married to a Stark. Not sure if she counts in this situation.

Yes. He's Jinglebell. (Hence, "Fool's Blood, King's Blood, Blood on the Maiden's Thigh")

Catelyn isn't a Stark either, she's a Tully married to a Stark. Not sure if she counts in this situation.

she was referred to as 'Catelyn Stark' quite a few times

In the OP, if you change "execute" into "behead", you get something pretty accurate: Starks are dying after they behead someone. Whether it's some kind of a spell, or a hidden message from GRRM, or something entirely different, it's true for Ned and Robb, and possibly for Jon (if you consider him a Stark at the first place).

Theon beheaded Farlen, but Theon's not a Stark, so it doesn't apply to him. Illyn Payne also. Arya is a Stark, but she didn't behead anyone in the murders she committed so far.

Cat is a strange case. She's both a Stark and not. She both beheaded Jinglebell and not. She's both dead and not.

Ned didn't die soon after executing Gared, almost a year passed by after the fact. And he also killed 1 or 2 Lannister guards when he was attacked in Kings Landing which were not executions.

If that theory was true, Arya would have died in AFfC... she executed Dareon for deserting from his NW post, after all.

One could argue that Arya Stark did die, and in her place, A new person. The whole point of the "who are you" exchange was to show that she's "Dead"

When she killed Dareon she did it as a Stark. Now, she's that broken girl who's face she's using. I agree with OP, I just wonder what this means in the bigger picture.

Also, Jon's not a Stark, so he's not dead.

It's a relief to finally know what we can and can't argue. Here was I, almost pointing out that we really don't know whether Jon will even need resurrection as he didn't die so far, but thankfully I now know better than to argue such a thing. Is it still okay to point out that he isn't a Stark or is that also a no-go? I mean, I'd never want to break The Rules.

I just edited my previous post. Hence, right now, your post is simply rude without any reason.

Perhaps the OP and supporters could rephrase:

Males of Stark blood who have died in ASoIaF have all done so in books after beheadding convicts. The fact that Jon Snow isn't a Stark in name (and is likely not Eddard's son) can just be a semantic point for this particular note.

Archived