Time it took you to read each book?

Sherlockian

When I first read the books years ago I was so entranced I just blew through them in a couple days. Don't know the exact time, but it was quicker than I usually read.

ADWD took me longer because I fuckin' hate hardcover books and they are a pain to read.

I discovered the books last year a few weeks after the birth of my baby, I read them all within 3/4 weeks, I was up all night with my little boy, so ASOIAF passed the looong lonely hours! I normally read very quickly anyway.

Not sure how long I spent each day, didnt really interfere with anything though because you pretty much live in a bubble after you have had a baby anyway

I read them after my 2nd semester during holidays

GoT-2 days(Reading 6-7 hours a day)

ACoK-3-4 days(Same reading Hours)

ASoS-6 days(Same)

AFfC-7 days(This was a slow read)

ADwD-3 days(Almost non stop reading)

I read GoT, FFC, and DwD in about two to three weeks each. Reading 2-3 hours an evening while also going to school. I read CoK and SoS while on vacation in about a week combined.

To put it into perspective, I read the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy for the first time in about two weeks (probably about ten years ago). And I read Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October in about three days.

When I really get into a novel I tend to burn through rather quickly.

GoT- 14 hours 32 minutes 34 seconds

ACoK- 17 hours 01 minutes 23 seconds

ASoS- 19 hours 38 mintes 05 seconds

AFfC- 18 hours 21 minutes 58 seconds

ADwD- 18 hours 11 minutes 04 seconds

Oh my gosh it took me 15 months to get through all 5 books, I just finished yesterday :wacko: . As punishment I started GoT yesterday and am going to read 100 pages a day until I get through at least the first 4 books but hopefully all 5. I'm hoping to get through it in 6 weeks this time around!

The first time I read them it took me about 3 weeks total to go through all 5 books. That was reading at every spare minute I had, on my lunch break etc... I am just about half way through ADWD on my 2nd read and I am going much slower. I missed so much blowing through them the first time! So the re read will be roughly 2 months total.

I read all 5 books from about May to August of last year and then reread them from October to January. I typically read only on my commute which is about 2 hours per day, though sometimes I would write and read emails so it would only be half the commute in which I read. To make up for it I did read a bit on the weekends or at night, but not more than 30 minutes at a time because I have a wife and kid I need to spend time with.

During my first read we went on vacation and I would read while my son was napping and my wife was tanning. I probably got in a little more than I would have commuting.

Kudos to those who can sit for 7 hours and read one of these things. I don't think I have the attention span to read for that long even if I did have the time. I like to ideally read in 1 maybe 2 hour intervals, much like I watch TV.

ETA: The Dunk and Egg Novellas are included in my time table above.

I have a confession to make: I didn't really like the books when I first started reading. When I got to Ned's capture, flashbacks, and execution, I liked the book a lot better. The second book I read on and off over a period of a few months. The end of aCoK is the best part of the story though, so I burned through that and read it and the third book in a matter of days (even while working two jobs). aFfC came out at about that time so I read it in about the same. aDwD took me longer just because I had to re-read the whole series to catch back up.

Archived