[Book Spoilers] Jaime/Brienne

Also, it seems to me that it's more heroic and adorable that the idea of what they were going to do with her bothered Jaime so much he had to go back and rescue her, instead of being urged to do that out of the guilt his ghosts had caused.

I completely agree. I mean, I love the dream in the books, but it wouldn't have worked on the show. And really, this is far more compelling motivation.

Also in that scene, someone else pointed out that Jaime stands up after Qyburn tells him Brienne is doomed and looks toward King's Landing, probably thinking of Cersei. Then he turns back to look toward Harrenhal and stares toward Brienne for a moment, walks over to Steelshanks and says he left something at Harrenhal. That is some heavy imagery.

Also in that scene, someone else pointed out that Jaime stands up after Qyburn tells him Brienne is doomed and looks toward King's Landing, probably thinking of Cersei. Then he turns back to look toward Harrenhal and stares toward Brienne for a moment, walks over to Steelshanks and says he left something at Harrenhal. That is some heavy imagery.

I LOVED the direction of that moment, that's exactly how I took it, too! He gazes off ahead, presumably towards home, Kings Landing, and Cersei. Then deliberately turns his back. I thought that was a brilliant bit of direction, since in the books, Jaime's own thoughts tell us how anxious he is to get back to KL.

I liked what we got in the bear pit, espeically when the bear actually started to attack Brienne. I was just thinking "if that's a stunt person they have more balls than I will ever have". then I realized it was probably a dummy or something. Still great though.

i'm pretty sure the bear was cgi.

i'm pretty sure the bear was cgi.

Tell that to Bart the Bear and his trainers and handlers and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Gwendoline Christie. :lol:

ETA: country music, LOVE it!

Fun fact: Little Bart the Bear required country music blasting from the back of a pickup nearby to keep calm and happy during shooting. Also, producer Dan Weiss told reporters, "[He was a] total ham and fun to work with. ... Every time you did a good take, you had to give him positive reinforcement. Everyone on the crew and inside had to clap. 'Good job, bear, good job.'"

well... i'm just gonna go over to that corner there and feel ashamed now.

Aw, don't do that. I actually think they could've used a little bear cgi.

It's going to be interesting to see how the show will/won't follow asoiaf relationship canon with Jaime and Brienne from here...

Especially since we know Brienne is already feeling 'more than friends' at this point.

It's going to be interesting to see how the show will/won't follow asoiaf relationship canon with Jaime and Brienne from here...

Especially since we know Brienne is already feeling 'more than friends' at this point.

True, but she doesn't realize it yet, and neither does Jaime (or neither seem to, anyway. Not consciously.) So it shouldn't be that hard to depict in the show.

I am wondering whether we will meet up with Locke much later in Season 4 or even 5. I've always thought that the writers will condense some of Brienne's quest in AFFC, but what if they adjust her storyline so she meets up with Locke on the road instead of Shagwell. Book Brienne thinks of Jaime and even says something like 'and that's for Jaime' when she kills Shagwell, so it would be wonderfully satisfying to have her encounter Locke, fight him and say the same thing as she kills him. Much better than just having Jaime shove Locke into the bearpit :D.

A fine idea... OR....

Arya needs someone to "stick with the pointy end" and to deliver her needle from Harrenhal next season (unless she already has it) before she leaves across the sea. I can't think of anyone else significant in the general area that would have access to the sword. As the tickler has been already been dispatched Locke would make a fine and emotionally satisfying substitute for TV audiences.

I was disappointed because:

- The setup was awesome

- The acting by Jamie and Brienne was awesome

- The setpiece was awesome (just like I imagined the pit when I read the book)

- The Bear was... Lame. Just a big, lumbering, cuddly time bear. It wasn't, you know... scary. Poorly directed maybe? I don't know what the answer is, I just know what I watched wasn't very suspensful/dangerous/exciting.

Guys, the bear was fine. If they had had some thrashing around raging beast they would need to have added some disorientating CGI to make it work, I think although this bear looked quite tame it was much better than the alternative of wasting money of weird CGI to make the bear look ''angrier''

He was an awesome bear! I loved his swiping and wall-pounding. I am curious about how they filmed it though. The bear was totally real, but I think they used some digital manipulation and trick photography to make Brienne/Jaime look closer to it than they were. There was a slight...hyper-fluidity to some of its movements. I dunno, it was making my eyes feel a little weird. Still a great scene though. The only time I went "WTF" was when the bear slapped her in the face. It should've made Biter jealous but she was unscathed. She bled when it got her shoulder but it was kind of funny her face was fine.

Jaime and Brienne are amazing together though. I loved his speechlessness when she called him Ser Jaime. Oh, and him dragging her behind him. Just they way they did it. Brienne's actress is so classy. She can look admiring while not seeming like a damsel at all. Her look at him was a mix of gratitude and (it seemed to me) pride. And a smirk at Locke who realized he got beaten at his own game.

I don't think the gold/sapphire thing was illogical though. Locke wanted to destroy Brienne's dignity, not her "wealth armor". A huge bag of sapphires might pragmatically be unarguable, but losing a few dragons was worth it. Then when Jaime came back, the person Locke reaaaally loathes, he had to rub his face in it.

- The Bear was... Lame. Just a big, lumbering, cuddly time bear. It wasn't, you know... scary. Poorly directed maybe? I don't know what the answer is, I just know what I watched wasn't very suspensful/dangerous/exciting.

Well according to NCW, Bart the Bear II was a complete diva on-set. Maybe he just didn't give his best performance. :lol:

HBO: What was it like filming that scene?

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: Oh, it took a long time. We shot it twice. In October last year we shot in Belfast with the crowd and the wire work involved with getting out of the pit. Then in January we went to California and we shot it with Bart the Bear II. What you see in the scene is a real bear-it's not a CGI thing, it's a live bear, an actor, kind of a diva I have to say... They built half the pit on a soundstage, and we shot Bart's close-ups, if you will.

I watched it again tonight and there are a few things I really liked. First, she doesn't hesitate to use him as a stepping stone to get out of that. Doesn't question it. Just jumps and gets hauled up. THEN, she doesn't hesitate to yell to the crowd to hold her legs and she's leaning over (with those incredible arms) looking to pull him up.

Just a great moment :) Probably better than the book.

Well according to NCW, Bart the Bear II was a complete diva on-set. Maybe he just didn't give his best performance. :lol:

Just read that. Makes sense. It's obviously raining and damn cold when they are on top talking to Locke. YOu can see their breaths and their hair is soaked. Not so much when they are in with the bear :)

I watched it again tonight and there are a few things I really liked. First, she doesn't hesitate to use him as a stepping stone to get out of that. Doesn't question it. Just jumps and gets hauled up. THEN, she doesn't hesitate to yell to the crowd to hold her legs and she's leaning over (with those incredible arms) looking to pull him up.

ITA, I loved that. I thought it was more suspenseful than the book (honestly, had they kept it blow-for-blow from the book text, the scene would have been no more than about 45 seconds!), and letting the bear survive was much appreciated.

That said, I wonder how difficult it is getting Bart to "play dead"?

Well, one things for sure, show Jamie's redemption is fully complete. He's pretty much the best person that ever lived or a close second to his brother tyrion. He's soooooo misunderstood!!

One thing that I didnt understand is that there was heavy implications of rape planned for Brienne so what happened there? Were they waiting until after the bear fight?

Archived