[Book Spoilers] Jaime/Brienne

Out of all the stuff this season, I've probably enjoyed the Brienne and Jamie scenes the most. I think that the two actors have great chemistry on screen. I was a little disappointed that the "I only rescue maidens" line wasn't there, but oh well, overall I liked the scene.

Re: pairs of actors, I think my other favorite has to be Peter Dinkelage and Jack Gleeson. I think they are hilarious together.

Also, I don't mind the Locke change, Vargo Hoat was sort of annoying in the books, and Locke simplifies things and serves the same purpose. I am usually the first to complain when a show change detracts from the series, but I don't think anything really meaningful was lost by changing Vargo Hoat. Mostly we just don't get lisping, which IMO is a good thing.

Righto, they are! They have great chemistry and I always loved how Tyrion treats him like the child he actually is.

I don't know why people keep saying Locke doesn't have a lisp. His lisp sounds pretty strong to me. It's not as strong as Vargo's, but it's a pretty strong lisp nonetheless.

Watch this: https://www.youtube....h?v=vlmtfHBa0T8

I never thought of that. Great observation!

I'm hoping we might get he ''I only rescue maidens'' line next episode, maybe. I don't know how that would work but still :(

It wouldn't have fit with this scene. They chose a very dramatic setting for it, I think because they wanted to focus on how important Brienne has become to Jaime. He does after all deem her important enough to throw himself between her and a live bear, without a weapon to protect himself or her with. It is an incredibly important turning point for Jaime. Throwing in a joke could possibly fuel any notions that it wasn't as big a deal as it was for him, and that would have lessened the lasting impression and impact this scene (his actions) had on the viewers.

I assume Brienne will ask Jaime why he returned for her (just look at her pondering why? when they walk away from the bear pit!) when we see them next, and I think it might come up at that point instead, in a scene that has a less dramatic setting, where this wonderful line is better suited. I hope it does!...

It wouldn't have fit with this scene. They chose a very dramatic setting for it, I think because they wanted to focus on how important Brienne has become to Jaime. He does after all deem her important enough to throw himself between her and a live bear, without a weapon to protect himself or her with. It is an incredibly important turning point for Jaime. Throwing in a joke could possibly fuel any notions that it wasn't as big a deal as it was for him, and that would have lessened the lasting impression and impact this scene (his actions) had on the viewers.

I assume Brienne will ask Jaime why he returned for her (just look at her pondering why? when they walk away from the bear pit!) when we see them next, and I think it might come up at that point instead, in a scene that has a less dramatic setting, where this wonderful line is better suited. I hope it does!...

Totally agree. That scene was too life-and-death for the maidens line.

I'd love to see it in a later scene, but I think I've already compartmentalised it as a book moment.

I think we'll see a scene of them this week. Maybe her wounds being tended by Qyburn, or them finding clothes for her. I"m not expecting much from them these last few episodes but we should see something.

BTW...I've got a really strange feeling we're going to see Joff die in episode 10. Maybe not at the wedding at all.

I think the problem is that season to season stuff gets kind of lost, and viewers are likely to attach far more weight to what happens recently. I know that with show Jaime, I have to actively remind myself of the bad things he's done to remember how bad a guy he is/was.

I don't think Jaime makes up for throwing a 6 year old boy out of the window by saving someone else to whom he owed a debt.

I don't disagree with this. In fact, I think nothing is ever going to make up for the wrong he did. That doesn't mean he can't try to act like a completely different man from now. And no, that doesn't erase his past actions, but it puts him on a path where he consciously makes different choices, and it's making those choices consistently that can eventually redeem him. I doubt anyone has forgotten what he did to Bran (and they shouldn't), I see people mentioning it all the time.

As for whitewashing, I see none. Everything he's done this season was in the book too. He hasn't had made up scenes where he's nicer like Cersei and Tyrion. He also didn't really owe a debt to Brienne in the show...

I think we'll see a scene of them this week. Maybe her wounds being tended by Qyburn, or them finding clothes for her. I"m not expecting much from them these last few episodes but we should see something.

I expect them to have short (2 mins, maybe) scenes in both 8 and 10. We know they shot something in Croatia, no?

BTW...I've got a really strange feeling we're going to see Joff die in episode 10. Maybe not at the wedding at all.

I hope not!!

I've been looking forward to seeing how they will handle the PW on screen, all of the food, how elaborate the ceremony was, the whole chaos of it!

Part of me wants to hear Jaime say the "77 courses and a regicide" line :) But another part of me thinks it would be AWEsome to end the year with Joff falling onto a table somehow. It certainly would end the season on a high note. Also throw lots of doubt into Westerose. He doesn't HAVE to die at the wedding. He just needs to kick the bucket.

I expect them to have short (2 mins, maybe) scenes in both 8 and 10. We know they shot something in Croatia, no?

Ya...and that makes me wonder. Jaime only make it to KL after Joffrey is dead!

I don't see why Joffers HAS to die before Jaime arrives. He and Cersei can still have their squicky sex scene when he's on the bier. Jaime arriving earlier could serve two purposes -- show him with Tyrion, to re-establish how close they are before everything goes to hell, and to show Jaime's reaction to Joff's death. He's not going to tell anyone "eh, he was just a squirt in Cersei's cunt" like he thinks in the books, so seeing his relative indifference compared to Cersei's complete breakdown might be effective. Maybe next season they even have a scene where Jaime realizes what a monstrous twat his son is.

The biggest problem with that is Sansa, so maybe Jaime won't arrive until after Joff's death, but the thought crossed my mind.

I've been wondering if they're going to cut the sex scene by Joffrey's corpse because it might be considered an unnecessary setback for his storyline to keep it (from a non-reader's viewpoint)? It is highly distasteful and he'd probably lose some of the recently gained support if they include it (at least if it is included this season, this close to the events at Harrenhal). Would they want to go that route? Among the book readers he doesn't actually lose much support because of this scene because we have such an amazing insight into his head, but it is possible it would affect the viewer support differently.

Does this scene have any actual weight in their relationship, or is it just interesting for shock value? Cersei will still reject him because of his maiming, and that is what, ultimately, causes the deterioration of their relationship, so I'm thinking they might just move forward to that instead.

Any thoughts?

They will continue to whitewash the Lannisters and not have that scene.

The only Lannister the show will lambaste is Joffrey, all the other ones are badass and awesome sauce.

I dunno, the scene is pretty distasteful, even for HBO standards. I guess they can do it without having Cersei be on her period at the time, because that was just.....eeeeeuuuuggghhh.....

And how is Cersei being whitewashed? How many Unsullied viewers do people honestly think are fans of Cersei?

Cersei loved Robert and bore him a son? Cersei didn't order the killing of Robert's bastards? Should I go on?

-Cersei orders Sansa's direwolf to be killed

-Cersei is complicit in the attempted murder of Bran

-Cersei cheats on Jaime with Lancel, despite Jaime's faithfulness

-Cersei tears up Robert's will and seizes Ned

-Cersei fires Ser Barristan to stack the court with Lannister stooges

-Cersei cruelly insults Tyrion and blames him for their mothers' deaths

-Cersei threatens Littlefinger with death over insinuations that he knew about her secret

-Cersei has Ros beaten and threatens her with torture and an unspeakably painful death

-Cersei continues to mentally torment Sansa throughout her stay in KL, and doesn't spare her from Joffrey's beating

-Cersei is clearly intimidated by the younger and more beautiful Margaery for no rational reason

-Cersei gloats about Tyrion's marriage to Sansa, and doesn't object to the idea of Sansa being put in the same position as her

Yep, she's Mother Teresa alright. And frankly, making her the product of her environment makes her much more interesting than book Cersei, who's just rotten to the core. Joffrey ordering Robert's bastards dead is a change I'm fine with, as it's perfectly in line with his character and signifies the theme of the monster outgrowing his parents.

I've been wondering if they're going to cut the sex scene by Joffrey's corpse because it might be considered an unnecessary setback for his storyline to keep it (from a non-reader's viewpoint)? It is highly distasteful and he'd probably lose some of the recently gained support if they include it (at least if it is included this season, this close to the events at Harrenhal). Would they want to go that route? Among the book readers he doesn't actually lose much support because of this scene because we have such an amazing insight into his head, but it is possible it would affect the viewer support differently.

Does this scene have any actual weight in their relationship, or is it just interesting for shock value? Cersei will still reject him because of his maiming, and that is what, ultimately, causes the deterioration of their relationship, so I'm thinking they might just move forward to that instead.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I think that scene has gobs of weight in their relationship. There's Jaime and Cersei before he walks in that crypt and there's Jaime and Cersei after--and ne'er the twain shall meet again. And frankly, I think that scene's got HBO written all over it.

However, they may have to weigh how well the tv audience can stomach a post-Harrenhal show!Jaime doing something so twelve kinds of wrong.

Archived